• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels sign veteran outfielder Jon Jay to minor-league deal

AngelsWin.com

The Angels added more outfield depth by signing Jon Jay to a minor-league deal with an invitation to big league camp on Thursday.

Jay, 35, can play all three outfield spots, but he has been a bench player for the past few years. He spent the 2020 season with the Arizona Diamondbacks, posting a .451 OPS in just 50 at-bats.

Jay is the second veteran outfielder the Angels have added on a minor-league deal in the past week, joining Juan Lagares. Last week the Angels traded for Dexter Fowler, giving them a collection of options to plug holes while they wait for Jo Adell to iron out his issues or Brandon Marsh to be ready.

It would seem unlikely the Angels would be able to keep Lagares and Jay, barring a spring training injury to Mike Trout, Justin Upton or Fowler.

Jay is also the fourth player the Angels have acquired this winter who enjoyed better days while previously playing for Joe Maddon. Jay, Fowler and pitcher Jose Quintana all played for Maddon with the Cubs, and Alex Cobb pitched under Maddon with the Tampa Bay Rays.

Jay had a .749 OPS in 141 games with the Cubs in 2017.

View the full article

seems like a lot of competition for the 4th/5th OF'er depth spot on the roster.

Is Fowler intended to be the starter in RF?  Fowler has some speed but check his career offensive stats -- he strikes out A LOT. So if we wanted to replace Calhoun - we've done that.

Jon Jay makes better contact than Fowler. 

IMO much depends on whether Halos want Adell on the MLB roster on opening day in a less than starting position role. If they don't mind Adell platooning and sitting the pine about half the time, then chances are Jay is sent packing.  If not - then Adell starts and plays every day at AAA and Jay's chances of making the opening day roster increase.

Is MLB going to reduce the playr roster limit at some defined date during the season (28/26 back to 25?) 

I could see Jay making the opening day roster, Adell starting and playing everyday in AAA and then a sort of a Fowler/ Jay competition moving forward - not only to see who plays but also by the time May , June rolls around - who stays and who gets DFA'd -- at which time Adell is recalled to play in Anaheim,

2 hours ago, disarcina said:

seems like a lot of competition for the 4th/5th OF'er depth spot on the roster.

Is Fowler intended to be the starter in RF?  Fowler has some speed but check his career offensive stats -- he strikes out A LOT. So if we wanted to replace Calhoun - we've done that.

Jon Jay makes better contact than Fowler. 

IMO much depends on whether Halos want Adell on the MLB roster on opening day in a less than starting position role. If they don't mind Adell platooning and sitting the pine about half the time, then chances are Jay is sent packing.  If not - then Adell starts and plays every day at AAA and Jay's chances of making the opening day roster increase.

Is MLB going to reduce the playr roster limit at some defined date during the season (28/26 back to 25?) 

I could see Jay making the opening day roster, Adell starting and playing everyday in AAA and then a sort of a Fowler/ Jay competition moving forward - not only to see who plays but also by the time May , June rolls around - who stays and who gets DFA'd -- at which time Adell is recalled to play in Anaheim,

Fowler will be the starting RF and Ward, Lagares and Jay will be battling it out for the 4th OF spot. And the function of that 4th OF may actually determine who wins. 

If the 4th OF is to be a platoon partner with Fowler, then it gives Ward the inside track, with Fowler also serving as the backup CF. Ward is athletic and is beginning to adapt his swing to major league pitching.

If the 4th OF is to be the backup defensive option at multiple spots, it's Lagares' job to lose. Lagares is a good defender no matter where in the grass you put him and he's had an outstanding winter.

If the 4th OF is just that, the best overall option that isn't a starter, that might be Jay. He's good in the clubhouse and has been successful in the major leagues before, much moreso than the other two. 

My guess is Ward heads to AAA to work out in the corner outfield and corner infield, and even some catcher. I think Lagares gets the spot and Jon Jay ends up playing elsewhere rather than AAA.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

If the 4th OF is just that, the best overall option that isn't a starter, that might be Jay. He's good in the clubhouse and has been successful in the major leagues before, much moreso than the other two. 

I'm certainly no big fan of Fowler's, but I don't see how you can rationally claim Jay has been "much more" successful than Fowler in the majors.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:03 PM, Second Base said:

Fowler will be the starting RF and Ward, Lagares and Jay will be battling it out for the 4th OF spot. And the function of that 4th OF may actually determine who wins. 

If the 4th OF is to be a platoon partner with Fowler, then it gives Ward the inside track, with Fowler also serving as the backup CF. Ward is athletic and is beginning to adapt his swing to major league pitching.

If the 4th OF is to be the backup defensive option at multiple spots, it's Lagares' job to lose. Lagares is a good defender no matter where in the grass you put him and he's had an outstanding winter.

My guess is Ward heads to AAA to work out in the corner outfield and corner infield, and even some catcher. I think Lagares gets the spot and Jon Jay ends up playing elsewhere rather than AAA.

great analysis on this and I think it's spot on.....

Jay vs. Fowler - both have their strength and weaknesses --

when Second Base suggested Jay may be better from an overall perspective - I think that's a very reasonable conclusion.

Here's the thing - Fowler played fairly well under Madden - his offensive stats are bolstered by Coors Field time with the Rockies.

Jay - didn't he play a season under Madden as well ? And if he did, Madden got him after watching Jay play against the Cubs with St. Louis.

Jay was a pretty good almost starter / platoon guy with St. Louis - good glove and has MLB experience time like Fowler does as well.

Check Fowler's strike out numbers over the years - not sure if Fowler is in the mix to lead off - but IMO he fails to make contact way too many times, Id' agree with Second Base on his comments Fowler vs. Jay.

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

They could have just got puig on an incentive laden deal for probably a couple million more than whatever they’re paying Fowler and Jay.  <rolls eyes> 

What part of "Good Clubhouse Guys" do you not understand? 

We're gonna be the happiest team in baseball.

1 hour ago, disarcina said:

when Second Base suggested Jay may be better from an overall perspective - I think that's a very reasonable conclusion.

Here's the thing - Fowler played fairly well under Madden - his offensive stats are bolstered by Coors Field time with the Rockies.

Jay - didn't he play a season under Madden as well ? And if he did, Madden got him after watching Jay play against the Cubs with St. Louis.

Jay was a pretty good almost starter / platoon guy with St. Louis - good glove and has MLB experience time like Fowler does as well.

Check Fowler's strike out numbers over the years - not sure if Fowler is in the mix to lead off - but IMO he fails to make contact way too many times, Id' agree with Second Base on his comments Fowler vs. Jay.

It's like you're comparing which underwear skid mark is the best. 

2 hours ago, disarcina said:

You know, I was thinking we needed a good Fowler vs. Jay comparison. Hot Damn.

On 2/13/2021 at 7:39 PM, tdawg87 said:

What part of "Good Clubhouse Guys" do you not understand? 

We're gonna be the happiest team in baseball.

what was Leo Durocher's quote about nice guys?

let me remind (since probably more than half of the posters here no idea who Leo Durocher was in MLB:

in another time, another era his comment was ; "nice guys finish last'

that being said - not sure if Puig's drama on and off the field is worth it. But GEEZ, when Puig feels like playing, can he play !! 

as to the above Fowler vs. Jay comments - can't really argue with the comments and the dig (not sure if it's at me or the front office - oh well - no big deal - my view has always been posters here need to have thick skin and if that's a dig at me - it's ok).

but more to the point - it's where the Halos are now. Those are the options the front office has chosen heading into ST in Tempe.

An untested Ward, maybe Adell, perhaps a platoon (or not) of Fowler (lot of K's) and Jay (kind of a 4-A player).

sounds like our starting rotation one year deals -- Cobb, Quintana, etc.

we could go through some past year names (some forgotten, thank goodness) Harvey etc. who seem to be answer in March and not so much come May, June.