• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How many innings for Ohtani in 2021

How many innings will Ohtani pitch in 2021?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How many innings for Ohtani in 2021?

• Under 50
    • Under 70
    • Under 90
    • Under 110
    • Under 130
    • Under 150
    • 150+

ZERO, He is an unknown commodity today! Until he can take the ball on a normal basis. Could be 2 innings? Could be 60 innings (which is 9 more than his top) Could be 125 innings?

No one actually, knows for sure and to even consider him to be counted on for an amount just goes to show how ill prepared this organization has been over the last 5-8 years in dealing with pitching injuries and praying guys comeback healthy! **edit**That includes the inability to Draft & Develop and get arms ready for consistent starts at the Major League Level.

Today he is just that Shinning Star out in the distance that we may or may not see upclose at some point!

I’m going to go with Under 70 AO.  After what I saw from him last year, post surgery, I’m not sure if his issue is mechanical or mental?  His recent history of arm troubles is a red flag, but again, I’m not sure if that’s his only issue.  

With a possibility of a 6 man rotation, there really is no need to have him throw more than 100 innings this year and I don’t think Maddon will.

I'm going to throw out a random guess of  106 innings. 

April - 12 innings

May - 20 innings

June - 20 innings

July - 18 innings

August - 24 innings

September - 12 innings. 

Total - 106 innings pitched. In years following 2021, where he's healthy and the kiddy gloves come off, I could see him throwing around 130 innings per year, but for 2021, I optimistically believe he will be healthy and hover around the century mark in innings, which will be remarkable itself when you consider he's likely to get 400 PA. 

That feat (100 innings and 400 PA) was accomplished only once by Babe Ruth, in 1919, and never again, until 2021.

Probably about 70 innings or so. I believe that his pitch count, and games started, will be strictly monitored this year. Something similar to what Tampa Bay did with Snell last year. Early in the year Ohtani  may only get the opportunity to pitch every-other Sunday for 4 or 5 innings or so. There's also the chance, that if that doesn't work out he could still be effective as a relief pitcher on the days he doesn't DH.

I think that the Angel's will do everything they can to get a few innings out of Ohtani so they can claim him as a two-way player. That way they can have that extra-man on the roster.

Obviously health determines usage. And if his arm is up to a once a week rotation I doubt they let him go for more than six innings. Depending on pitch count of course. And there may be times where he needs extra recuperation between starts. I think around 90 - 110 innings if there are no setbacks.

And providing he is effective. If he is healthy and ineffective then maybe half as many starts/innings. They will take their time and slowly retest him if he starts off poorly. 

Baby steps with a fragile asset for the mound. Hitting is also a question mark, but not part of this thread.

P_20210101_155827_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

What we don't know: If Ohtani can maintain health.

What we do know: No matter what, the Angels will limit his innings.

He'll probably start out pitching 3-4 innings per start, then move up to 5-6. Maybe they let him pitch 7 eventually, but I doubt it - at least this year. So let's say an average of 4.5 IP per start.

Then, if we imagine that he'll start every sixth game, and then miss a few more due to minor injuries, given the occasional day off, and/or being shutdown later in the year to rest for the postseason (yay!), we get: 162 / 6 = 27 starts, minus 4-5 = 22-23 starts. 22.5 starts X 4.5 IP = 101 IP. 

Which makes sense - that the Angels will shoot to get him to pitch about 100 innings this year, or a range of 80-120.

48 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

What we don't know: If Ohtani can maintain health.

What we do know: No matter what, the Angels will limit his innings.

He'll probably start out pitching 3-4 innings per start, then move up to 5-6. Maybe they let him pitch 7 eventually, but I doubt it - at least this year. So let's say an average of 4.5 IP per start.

Then, if we imagine that he'll start every sixth game, and then miss a few more due to minor injuries, given the occasional day off, and/or being shutdown later in the year to rest for the postseason (yay!), we get: 162 / 6 = 27 starts, minus 4-5 = 22-23 starts. 22.5 starts X 4.5 IP = 101 IP. 

Which makes sense - that the Angels will shoot to get him to pitch about 100 innings this year, or a range of 80-120.

I don't think he goes every 6th day, I think he goes once a week. I think they'll let him get to 6 IP, but not much longer.

I think 20 starts is a good high end. That has him skipping two to start the year, staying in extended ST, or just hitting, depending on how his ST goes.

Then he'll get 10 starts on Sundays before the All Star Break, and then likely will get a month off or so, unless everything is smooth. They also could skip one here or there, there are 15 Sundays before the break. They will either go with a 5-man rotation in those weeks-- or allow Barria, Sandoval, or Suarez to get those starts.

Then after the break, he'll get 10 starts on Sundays. (there are 11 Sundays they play after the break, I have him skipping the last one in order to get ready for the Playoffs).

This schedule is similar to the one they followed in 2018, which you'd have to assume is what they'll try again.

They don't have as many Mondays off as in 2018, they have a lot of Thursday's off, so maybe he's the Wednesday Starter.

That works similarly as there are 21 Wednesdays they Play, and if he skipped one, they'd still be on track for 20 starts.

Everyone else would get around 28 starts, if healthy.

It also maximizes his DH time.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I don't think he goes every 6th day, I think he goes once a week. I think they'll let him get to 6 IP, but not much longer.

I think 20 starts is a good high end. That has him skipping two to start the year, staying in extended ST, or just hitting, depending on how his ST goes.

Then he'll get 10 starts on Sundays before the All Star Break, and then likely will get a month off or so, unless everything is smooth. They also could skip one here or there, there are 15 Sundays before the break. They will either go with a 5-man rotation in those weeks-- or allow Barria, Sandoval, or Suarez to get those starts.

Then after the break, he'll get 10 starts on Sundays. (there are 11 Sundays they play after the break, I have him skipping the last one in order to get ready for the Playoffs).

This schedule is similar to the one they followed in 2018, which you'd have to assume is what they'll try again.

They don't have as many Mondays off as in 2018, they have a lot of Thursday's off, so maybe he's the Wednesday Starter.

That works similarly as there are 21 Wednesdays they Play, and if he skipped one, they'd still be on track for 20 starts.

Everyone else would get around 28 starts, if healthy.

It also maximizes his DH time.

Once a week is basically every six games, as most weeks have a day off (I say every sixth game, not sixth day). But a nitpick.

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Once a week is basically every six games, as most weeks have a day off (I say every sixth game, not sixth day). But a nitpick.

Yes, I understand your point, but going every time his rotation spot is up puts him pitching on different days, and slots him to pitch 27 games, whereas with days off, (17 weeks have at least one, 10 do not), he would only pitch 21 if he pitched every Wednesday.

Just now, Hubs said:

Yes, I understand your point, but going every time his rotation spot is up puts him pitching on different days, and slots him to pitch 27 games, whereas with days off, (17 weeks have at least one, 10 do not), he would only pitch 21 if he pitched every Wednesday.

Yes, I agree - your take is probably more exact.