• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTR Offseason outlook Los Angeles Angels

beatlesrule

25 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

There should be a lot of arms available after the non-tender deadline. We need to pick up several of these. As much as we need a starter we should be looking at picking up guys who are good bets to simply provide X number of quality innings.

Bingo. Much like with Bedrosian being 'worth' $3m in years past, it wouldn't surprise me if they non-tendered guys like Andriese ($2m), Noe ($1m), Middleton ($1m), and Anderson ($700k) and instead tried to nab two or three similar guys for comparable dollars, especially if some have options. 

And I think a lot of teams are going to do the same, and non-tender quite a few arms. So maybe you get someone who comps to Andriese for $1.5m instead of $2m, or someone like Bedrosian for $1.5m instead of $3m, or one solid vet guy for $3m to replace option-less Noe, post-injury Anderson, inconsistent Middleton and recently waived Barnes, who collectively would have made near $4m. Add in Robles' $4m out the door too, and while it may seem like they're nickel and dining the pen - and they would be - it'd likely be because they're scrounging up those extra mil for other improvements.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Bingo. Much like with Bedrosian being 'worth' $3m in years past, it wouldn't surprise me if they non-tendered guys like Andriese ($2m), Noe ($1m), Middleton ($1m), and Anderson ($700k) and instead tried to nab two or three similar guys for comparable dollars, especially if some have options. 

And I think a lot of teams are going to do the same, and non-tender quite a few arms. So maybe you get someone who comps to Andriese for $1.5m instead of $2m, or someone like Bedrosian for $1.5m instead of $3m, or one solid vet guy for $3m to replace option-less Noe, post-injury Anderson, inconsistent Middleton and recently waived Barnes, who collectively would have made near $4m. Add in Robles' $4m out the door too, and while it may seem like they're nickel and dining the pen - and they would be - it'd likely be because they're scrounging up those extra mil for other improvements.

I think the only one who will be non-tendered is Robles.  Andriese ended up being a key guy the Maddon counted on towards the end of the season, which is likely why he is kept (in addition to his reasonable cost).  Bedrosian wasn't trusted by Maddon and that's likely why he's gone.  Ramirez, Middleton, and Anderson will be retained because their cost is fairly minimal, and 2 of those 3 still have options (though Anderson will be on the 60-man IL for most of the year).

If Bauer is not in the cards, and it seems likely he is not, then I do hope we spread the money around for areas that are fairly cheap to fill.  2B, left-handed OF (on a one year deal), relievers, backend SP - all of these should be fairly cheap to fill, and we should be able to utilize the money we have to fill it.

2B - Hernandez, Wong, LaStella could all be options

OF - Pederson would be my choice, but there are other options that fit nicely too

Relievers - there are a ton.  Hand, Treinen, Trevor May, etc - these guys can all probably be had at 5-6mil/yr, so signing two of them really shouldn't be unreasonable.

Backend SP - again, lots of options, too many to list.

We should still aim to acquire a top-end SP.  I have long said we should utilize Adell to acquire someone like Pleasac, Manning, Mize, etc.  If that's not an option, then someone like Joe Musgrove could be had, although I have to imagine that would likely require Marsh.  

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

It's a pretty fair surface assessment of the team and it's needs.

Not bad for what is likely a national writer, Connor Byrne.  At least he seems to know the main issues, might have pointed out that the Angels have a surplus of minor league OF that could be used to get a starter.