• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maybe there is something to Jeff Mathis?

TheOGGabyC

Spoiler

Came across this video talking about the career of our favorite Angels catcher, Jeff Mathis. Foolish Baseball for those of you who don’t know is an awesome analytics focused channel that goes over some cool topics like how our boy Simmons is an under the radar HOF candidate. Do you guys think Jeff Mathis was over or undervalued over the course of his career?

His stats suck, but he is obviously valuable or else he wouldn’t have had such a long career.  Guys like Greinke, Haren and others have called him the best catcher they have pitched to.  So us as fans can either accept that there are things we don’t understand, or we can simply be arrogant fans that pretend to know more than the organizations/managers that sign and play him.  

25 minutes ago, ScottT said:

There is something.

He's one of the worst hitters in MLB history. 2019 was astonishingly awful.

He's fortunate to have played in the era that he did. When pitch framing was measured and valued.  An electronic strike zone may have killed his career years ago.

Yea, I disagree with this.  Bottom line is pitchers like pitching to him.  That isn’t simply about framing pitches.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

His stats suck, but he is obviously valuable or else he wouldn’t have had such a long career.  Guys like Greinke, Haren and others have called him the best catcher they have pitched to.  So us as fans can either accept that there are things we don’t understand, or we can simply be arrogant fans that pretend to know more than the organizations/managers that sign and play him.  

Ive mentioned it before. Every guy Ive ever talked to whos worked with him rave about him. He'll be employed as long as he wants to keep playing.

We dont see it, but the people who matter do... whatever it is.

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

Front offices care about the numbers more than ever.... relationships?  I doubt that is a priority.

Well there’s a comfort level he brings out in pitchers.  If you want to call that a relationship go for it.  Whatever it is denying teams don’t value it is denying facts.  

3 hours ago, TheOGGabyC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Came across this video talking about the career of our favorite Angels catcher, Jeff Mathis. Foolish Baseball for those of you who don’t know is an awesome analytics focused channel that goes over some cool topics like how our boy Simmons is an under the radar HOF candidate. Do you guys think Jeff Mathis was over or undervalued over the course of his career?

How long has he played in mbl?

Underrated by mbl experts? No

Underrated by angelswin?  Absolutely 

On 2/16/2020 at 2:02 PM, Stradling said:

That said, this is the only team to give him substantial starting time. I didn't mind him catching in relief. The issue came when the manager gave him the majority of the starts over a much stronger offensive player. His hitting is so poor that giving him a substantial part of the starts cost the Angels a lot of run production.

31 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ask Greinke or Haren or any number of pitchers.

Those are opinions, not facts. I’m not saying there’s no effect; there probably is. To some degree it can be compared, but imperfectly. What is comfort level worth? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Again, I’m not saying they’re wrong, I’m saying I get why fans and even front offices may have difficulty buying it. 

3 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

By any measurable statistic, Mathis isn't good offensively OR defensively. Somehow he keeps landing jobs for "intangibles". When you consistently catch a team's best starting pitchers, of course your CERA will be lower.

Ask yourself why he is catching the teams best starter.  

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ask yourself why he is catching the teams best starter.  

Obviously there is something there. I just can't identify it. People have offered the defensive argument, but that clearly isn't it. I doubt that there has been a worse hitter ever who has had a major league career this long.