• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How we can gain a miniscule consolation from this miserable year

the only consolation at this point for me is the hope that we can continue to see the young pitchers progress.  

Sandoval's last outing was very encouraging.  It's nice to see that when he's on, he can dominate.  He's not always going to be, but that's kinda the definition of a #3/4 starter if he can gain some consistency and stamina.  

Barria has made a couple solid starts in a row as well.  He'll keep you in the game for the most part except for those 2 or 3 games a year where he explodes.  Pretty much the definition of a #5/6 type.  

Suarez was a different guy last time out.  Even though the results weren't great, he got nickle dimed by bloop hits and some poor defense against an excellent offensive team.  I think we'll see a few good starts in a row from him coming up.  

I also like the idea of Peters being available next year as our 7th or 8th or 9th guy.  he's solid depth.  He only had about 60 major league innings prior to this year so the experience will be helpful.  

20 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Sweep Boston this weekend and severely damage their playoff hopes.

Boston is 5.5 back of the second wild card (Oakland), six games in the loss column entering play today.

Yeah, I know, it's a dumb idea but at this point I'm just looking for consolations wherever they may be found.

Sorry but the best thing the Angels can do now is to lose as many games as possible to become one of 10 worst records in the league.

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the only consolation at this point for me is the hope that we can continue to see the young pitchers progress.  

Sandoval's last outing was very encouraging.  It's nice to see that when he's on, he can dominate.  He's not always going to be, but that's kinda the definition of a #3/4 starter if he can gain some consistency and stamina.  

Barria has made a couple solid starts in a row as well.  He'll keep you in the game for the most part except for those 2 or 3 games a year where he explodes.  Pretty much the definition of a #5/6 type.  

Suarez was a different guy last time out.  Even though the results weren't great, he got nickle dimed by bloop hits and some poor defense against an excellent offensive team.  I think we'll see a few good starts in a row from him coming up.  

I also like the idea of Peters being available next year as our 7th or 8th or 9th guy.  he's solid depth.  He only had about 60 major league innings prior to this year so the experience will be helpful.  

I've really, really liked what I've seen of Barria and Sandoval. I've gone over it to death in another thread, but Barria has been extraordinarily consistent for a #5-type in every start except 2, maybe 3, and the shelling he endured for a thin staff in two of those games has really inflated his stats. Off the top of my head, he's hovering around a 4.00 ERA in some 50 innings, and a ~26.00 ERA in 5 others. 

Far from being the best predictor, Sandoval's 3.30 FIP still hints at how well he's done. A K9 of 11 is tremendous for his age, as is having only allowed 2 HRs in his first 5 starts - yes, it's small sample size, but those are things young pitchers typically have issues with - along with walks, which he is allowing too many of. And I agree that Suarez looked different last start. I'm also leery of any SLC numbers now - offensively and pitching.

The results are raw but these dudes could come along fast. So fast, an Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Sandoval, Barria (with Suarez/Pena/Peters as depth) rotation on it's own might actually be competitive within a season or two. It all comes down to health.  

Edited by totdprods

9 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Amazingly, this place is pretty neutral - mostly informed but with ignorance and trollishness mixed in.  You forget how out of touch the average fan is until you attend a game in person.

True, true. I mainly said that for amusement's sake. I agree that this board tends to be on the higher side of fan IQ.