• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Here's the thing: Mike Trout is the GOAT

This may be politically incorrect and go against the narrative of sports writers who created the myths. 

The black baseball players/teams of the pre-integration era weren't uniformally superior to the white major leagues. And the "white' leagues weren't exclusively white. There always was a scattering of 'Latin players' who managed to filter through. 

Sure, the 'gentleman"s agreement' to stay white was explicitly racist. Unfortunately it was a mindset that prevailed in almost every sphere of life. 

Myths are created by the media. In the sixties and seventies it became fashionable to romanticize the 'Negro Leagues' as a way to pay homage to the injustice of the past.

Much of the rationale came from anecdotes of old former players and observers. Often at least thirty years after the fact. It's the way human nature works that memories become fuzzy and exaggerated over long periods of time. Especially when being interviewed by a sympathetic media person with a preset narrative already in mind. 

Without getting deeper into sociology and psychology, I would conclude that there were indeed great black players who were unjustly deprived of opportunities. But these were a smaller percentage than what has been implied in many stories. And most of those elite, great black players were roughly of equal talent/skill/potential than the same small elite of the major leagues. 

The sketchy stats we have were achieved mostly in less than major league conditions. Minor league or worse  stadiums, a smaller talent pool, terrible travel/accommodation conditions and so on and on. And remember, they were also racially limited (by default) , unable to compete against the talent in the major leagues. Again, some Hispanic players slipped in too, but the standard of play seems to have been less than ideal.

The great blacks would have been great in the majors and vice versa. The average and poor players likewise. Selectively picking  Cool Papa Bell,  Satchel Paige, Jackie/Frank Robinson, Aaron, Campenella, Newcombe, and postulating that they represented the average standard is unverified speculation. 

Thankfully we have a universal talent pool now that is based on pure ability. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for a long time, but that shouldn't lead to exaggeration and embellishment. 

47 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It's Trout's 28th birthday, and you're talking about how he has "only" four years left in his prime. 

Yes because it’s remarkable that he’s already been here for 8 years and we might only get to witness his physical peak again for another 4. It feels like just yesterday when he was closer to 20 than 30. Shows how fast time flies.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Just like in 2017, when Aaron Judge won the MVP. 

Oh wait.

How many times do you think they are going to give him the mulligan?  If they have a chance to vote for someone else, logically, i think they will take it.  I hope im wrong, but i wouldn't continue to vote for him unless it was an absolute no brainer, and in this case, its not that in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Ignoring LaMehieu as a strong possibility is setting yourself up for a letdown.
Hes a Yankee
Hes in the top 5-10 in WAR
They dont want to vote for a losing team
They too have had many injuries
Im not saying its right or that the numbers support it, but he writers will want to vote for him.
The fact that Trout is fully 2 points better than any other hitter in the AL is the only thing hes got going for him in this case.

Being a Yankee has nothing to do with anything.  It's not a fan vote.  It's two writers from each city.

It's not 1980.  Players on mediocre teams get plenty of votes and win (for example, a guy named Mike Trout)  Players on bad teams do, too.

At this point I'd say LaMehieu gets zero first place votes.  Maybe a couple second place votes.  No chance in hell he wins.

5 hours ago, floplag said:

How many times do you think they are going to give him the mulligan?  If they have a chance to vote for someone else, logically, i think they will take it.  I hope im wrong, but i wouldn't continue to vote for him unless it was an absolute no brainer, and in this case, its not that in my opinion. 

Except logically they have no chance to vote for someone else.  

5 hours ago, floplag said:

It's beyond an absolute no brainer. 

17 hours ago, floplag said:

Ignoring LaMehieu as a strong possibility is setting yourself up for a letdown.
Hes a Yankee
Hes in the top 5-10 in WAR
They dont want to vote for a losing team
They too have had many injuries
Im not saying its right or that the numbers support it, but he writers will want to vote for him.
The fact that Trout is fully 2 points better than any other hitter in the AL is the only thing hes got going for him in this case.

I think you haven’t taken into account how the voters have changed even over the past 5 years. 

I think Trout will easily.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:18 PM, PattyD22 said:

I pray to God that Trout is not the victim of a "one season wonder" like LeMahieu.  It's cost him an MVP award in the past and I hope it doesn't this year.  Team record should not be considered. like you mentioned Duren, Duren.  The Yankees are a runaway with or without LeMahieu.  

Trout just needs to keep doing what he's doing and I believe he will garner the MVP this year, regardless of how the Angels finish the season.  At least I hope so.

11) AL MVP

Winning team, schminning team. If Mike Trout isn’t the 2019 AL MVP, get rid of the award.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ranking-2019-mlb-postseason-award-races