• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Justin Upton's RISP OPS since the beginning of 2018

Through 2017, Justin Upton was generally an excellent hitter with RISP (career RISP OPS probably mid to upper .800s?).

But since the beginning of the 2018 season, his RISP OPS has only been around .650.

Something to worry about?   Or still a low enough sample size to not worry about it?  

24 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Through 2017, Justin Upton was generally an excellent hitter with RISP (career RISP OPS probably mid to upper .800s?).

But since the beginning of the 2018 season, his RISP OPS has only been around .650.

Something to worry about?   Or still a low enough sample size to not worry about it?  

He has only 25 games under his belt this season so it is a small sample size. He’s known to be a streaky hitter but very good when he’s on. Maybe we are starting to see a lot less “on” and much more “off”. His defensive skills have surely declined. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s only concerning if you think RISP is predictive, which it isn’t.  

It isn't, necessarily.    I guess a better gauge then is where it is by the close of 2019.   If by then it's still down, that would mark two straight seasons, which combined with some defensive dropoff and being age 33 in 2020 does create some concern since he is still owed some $60+ million by then.

That to me dictates whether they can trade Marsh in a package for a much needed SOLID mid-rotation guy.    If Upton continues to decline, they really can't count on him in LF through 2022.   Which means that if Marsh is traded, who is the 3rd OF with Trout and Adell until someone like Adams is ready?  

Just now, calscuf said:

Baseball players are human beings.  Anxiety can affect performance in individual situations.  BARISP is not a very good stat, but to say it’s not predictive of anything makes you sound like a snotty bitch.  Depends on the player.

It’s not predictive year to year.  Also AO was using it as a sign of decline which simply isn’t how it works.  

Not really sure I see the connection between ‘poor with risp’ > ‘overall declining skills’. 

Generally, results with risp are roughly comparable to overall results. Not always, of course, but typically you don’t just get worse than career norms in those situations. If anything, one would think good players with declining overall skills would actually be better with risp than their overall play. 

Where am I losing your logic here?

2 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Not really sure I see the connection between ‘poor with risp’ > ‘overall declining skills’. 

Generally, results with risp are roughly comparable to overall results. Not always, of course, but typically you don’t just get worse than career norms in those situations. If anything, one would think good players with declining overall skills would actually be better with risp than their overall play. 

Where am I losing your logic here?

Are you asking me?  Because I agree with you.