• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Keep Kole!

3 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

No, it's just $14 million less spent on guys named Kole Calhoun but, whatever....we're not privy to the Angels budget strategy for 2020 onward only what they've said in the past - that they'd spend for the right players.  

I know my math wasn't the best in school.  Therefore correct me where I am wrong.  If you have 60 million to spend on new acquisitions and you spent 14 million for player A doesnt that mean you only have 46 million to fill the rest of your needs?

2 hours ago, RBM said:

I agree. I think this is the time for him to stretch the budget. The situation is so much different than in 2017 or 2018.

We now have successful, salary controlled players in place - Canning, Fletcher, Rengifo, Suarez, Buttrey. And we have more minor league guys ready to join them.

So If Arte and Eppler are ever going to go big, now is the time.

My feeling is go big where you need help. We need starting pitching more than we need Kole at $14 M.

People keep saying Arte(/Billy) is afraid to spend money on a big contract. There's just no evidence of this.

Sure, they mostly went with placeholders and short-term fixes the last few seasons - because we were in a rebuild. What screws up a rebuild? Long term contracts for guys who will have used up most of their value by the time our window opens. The window really hasn't been open for several years (at least since 2014, and that is questionable), so for them to spend big money prior to that point would have been crazy.

Judging Eppler's acquisition tendencies to date is foolish because it assumes any team is simply able to compete any season. That just isn't the case.

I think Arte has kept the payroll semi-limited for the same reason. Why spend extra on a losing season? If he believes we're a legitimate contender, I think he gives Eppler a little bit more to work with. Not an open checkbook or anything, but maybe in the neighborhood of $10-20mil more than we've been spending.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:53 PM, totdprods said:

• Melky Cabrera
  • Nick Castellanos
  • Lonnie Chisenhall
  • Avisail Garcia
  • Carlos Gomez
  • Carlos Gonzalez
  • Curtis Granderson
  • Matt Kemp
  • Gerardo Parra
  • Hunter Pence
  • Yasiel Puig

All these guys are old, crap and HEAD CASES! HARD PASS on all...

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

I know my math wasn't the best in school.  Therefore correct me where I am wrong.  If you have 60 million to spend on new acquisitions and you spent 14 million for player A doesnt that mean you only have 46 million to fill the rest of your needs?

Only if you want to adhere to $60 million as your maximum expenditure.  You can also spend $74 mil to do everything you want plus retain Kole because that is absolutely something you have to the money to do should you choose.  See...math.  

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

Only if you want to adhere to $60 million as your maximum expenditure.  You can also spend $74 mil to do everything you want plus retain Kole because that is absolutely something you have to the money to do should you choose.  See...math.  

What in the past decade makes you think the Angel's are not on a strict budget?????

23 minutes ago, stormngt said:

What in the past decade makes you think the Angel's are not on a strict budget?????

Let's see, in the past decade, Pujols, Wilson, and Hamilton's contracts, taking on Vernon Wells' "untradeable" contract to name a few.  How about giving Trout a record contract or taking on Upton's $40+ mil.

Since Dipoto cratered the farm system and left them with a lot flotsam in 2015, there hasn't been much reason to exceed the budget when what you spent on would have maybe cost you a draft pick and made a 2 win difference.

2020 is different...it's the best they've been positioned since Eppler took over and a talent like Cole to justify the expense.

The Angels have money to spend...they just have a justifiable reason now to spend it.

I do think the Angels have built to a point where they might be a little more bold financially. They went “over” with Allen, supposedly, and a couple times now I’ve seen mentioned that the Angels wouldn’t have a problem taking on salary at the deadline to facilitate pitching. Giving that we haven’t shed any contracts, that indicates there’s more room still.

I think it hints at some more money to work with this winter. And I still think they’ll trade for an arm this week to address one of the two rotation holes. Makes sense on too many fronts.

Edited by totdprods

20 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Let's see, in the past decade, Pujols, Wilson, and Hamilton's contracts, taking on Vernon Wells' "untradeable" contract to name a few.  How about giving Trout a record contract or taking on Upton's $40+ mil.

Since Dipoto cratered the farm system and left them with a lot flotsam in 2015, there hasn't been much reason to exceed the budget when what you spent on would have maybe cost you a draft pick and made a 2 win difference.

2020 is different...it's the best they've been positioned since Eppler took over and a talent like Cole to justify the expense.

The Angels have money to spend...they just have a justifiable reason now to spend it.

Ok let me clarify that....what the hell makes you think that the Angel's aren't on a strict budget the last five years?

Sorry I exaggerated!

If Arte wanted to spend to make the team truly competitive he would have.  He had ample opportunity to do so.  In fact he should have gone over and replaced Hamilton when he had him traded!  Fact is Arte has a budget and he has been very disciplined staying with it!

55 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Ok let me clarify that....what the hell makes you think that the Angel's aren't on a strict budget the last five years?

Sorry I exaggerated!

If Arte wanted to spend to make the team truly competitive he would have.  He had ample opportunity to do so.  In fact he should have gone over and replaced Hamilton when he had him traded!  Fact is Arte has a budget and he has been very disciplined staying with it!

If by "strict budget" you mean not spending like the Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers then, sure?

2015 - $151 million

2016 - $174 million

2017 - $166 million

2018 - $174 million

2019 - $159 million

They have been rebuilding since 2016 while still spending money in an attempt to stay competitive in the meantime.  What they haven't done is:

- signed players that cost them draft picks

- traded prospects for aging vets with expiring deals

- committed 5+ years to 32+ year old free agents

Signing Trout to that record breaking deal signified two things: 1) Angels are committed to winning long term 2) Trout is sold on the direction of the franchise and has bought into their future 

Angels are poised to make some moves

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Sorry I exaggerated!

Yeah, if you assume that spending fixes all problems even with an empty cupboard. 

29 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

If by "strict budget" you mean not spending like the Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers then, sure?

2015 - $151 million

2016 - $174 million

2017 - $166 million

2018 - $174 million

2019 - $159 million

They have been rebuilding since 2016 while still spending money in an attempt to stay competitive in the meantime.  What they haven't done is:

- signed players that cost them draft picks

- traded prospects for aging vets with expiring deals

- committed 5+ years to 32+ year old free agents

Signing Trout to that record breaking deal signified two things: 1) Angels are committed to winning long term 2) Trout is sold on the direction of the franchise and has bought into their future 

Angels are poised to make some moves

Why the hell every goddamn off season people talk about how much money we can spend and Arte wont go over it?  First it was supposed to be the luxury tax.  Just recently someone posted that we have about 40 million to spend next year.  If we dont have a budget why the hell is that even a conversation!

Am I in an altered state of reality?

29 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Yeah, if you assume that spending fixes all problems even with an empty cupboard. 

You have no idea  what I am talking about.  I suggest you don't enter a conversation unless you read thread.

I have been arguing that Atmrte has a budget that he doesnt go over.  Others tell me I am full of shit!

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You have no idea  what I am talking about.  I suggest you don't enter a conversation unless you read thread.

I have been arguing that Atmrte has a budget that he doesnt go over.  Others tell me I am full of shit!

Who said you are full of shit? 

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Why the hell every goddamn off season people talk about how much money we can spend and Arte wont go over it?  First it was supposed to be the luxury tax.  Just recently someone posted that we have about 40 million to spend next year.  If we dont have a budget why the hell is that even a conversation!

Am I in an altered state of reality?

no idea idk GIF