• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When is the Aybar in the leadoff spot experiment over?

Chuck

Aybar is a good SS.  Underrated.  He shouldn't be in the leadoff spot, though.  Even when he is doing well, that is questionable.  Unfortunately... Bourjos is out... it will take much more for Scioscia to put Shuck there.... and Scioscia probably thinks moving Trout to second in the order has given the lineup more continuity.... whatever that means.  Just hope he also doesn't think the move to CF helped Trout's offense.

I'd still go with Trout, Kendrick, Pujols.  Some message board posters would call me stubborn, but I'd be ok with that.  For now...I wouldn't mind Shuck in the top 3, either.

They should score a good amount of runs regardless of the batting order, but every little bit helps.  

Aybar has a career .319 OBP from the lead-off spot...that's 800 ab's.  The guy is not even close to be a decent lead-off hitter but Mike puts him there because he SHOULD be, you know, because he's  fast, switch-hits, and he's bunt-erific.  The problem, though, is the team's best lead-off hitter is currently batting 2nd and there isn't a close 2nd option.  We don't have a guy who works counts in options like Callaspo, Aybar, or Bourjos.  If Trout is going to continue to bat 2nd, I'd probably stick Schuck there for a few games to see if can perform any better until Bourjos comes back and then look at my options. 

Aybar has a career .319 OBP from the lead-off spot...that's 800 ab's.  The guy is not even close to be a decent lead-off hitter but Mike puts him there because he SHOULD be, you know, because he's  fast, switch-hits, and he's bunt-erific.  The problem, though, is the team's best lead-off hitter is currently batting 2nd and there isn't a close 2nd option.  We don't have a guy who works counts in options like Callaspo, Aybar, or Bourjos.  If Trout is going to continue to bat 2nd, I'd probably stick Schuck there for a few games to see if can perform any better until Bourjos comes back and then look at my options. 

Agree completely...and thanks for the stats...they always help to support an opinion. I always thought that Aybar does his best hitting in the 9 hole.

I like Aybar at 2nd myself.  

I like Aybar at 2nd myself.  

Aybar's best career OBP are from batting 2nd (.330 in 551 AB's) and 9th (.331 in 404 AB's). Another thing is he has demonstrated more power from 2nd position as well (.760 OPS batting 2nd to sub-.700 batting lead-off and 9th) most likely from seeing a ton of fastballs.  Regardless of .319, .330 or .331, you hope your 1 or 2 hitters aren't in this neighborhood if you are hoping to take advantage of your power hitters 3-6.

He will probably be in CF batting leadoff.

And if you were talking about Calhoun, he may still be in the minors until Shuck cools off.

Reflecting on it more, Shuck is the perfect 4th outfielder for this team. Even if he regresses as far as batting average goes, he'll still be productive for the Angels. Calhoun is the same type of player but with pop in his bat. Great find by Dipoto. Just another reason why Bourjos should be dealt at the deadline or in the offseason.

Aybar has been the worst hitter in the entire team including Harris and Conger by far.

He has also the lowest OBP in the team.

Pick a name out of the hat and that player would be a better option to lead off than Aybar.

If it was up to me, I would lead off Trout and hit Callaspo second.

He will probably be in CF batting leadoff.

And if you were talking about Calhoun, he may still be in the minors until Shuck cools off.

Reflecting on it more, Shuck is the perfect 4th outfielder for this team. Even if he regresses as far as batting average goes, he'll still be productive for the Angels. Calhoun is the same type of player but with pop in his bat. Great find by Dipoto. Just another reason why Bourjos should be dealt at the deadline or in the offseason.

Why would you trade an elite defensive CF who is near league minimum in salary and is capable of a .750 OPS and offer as his replacement two guys who have never done anything in the MLB and are nothing special in field?  Not getting the logic here...

If the Angels can get some team's cost effective 2-ish starter, I'd definitely give up Bourjos...can't think of a MLB that would actually do that but I guess it's possible.

I still feel like the Diamondbacks are our best match--regardless of what people here think about Adam Eaton. I would take Wade Miley and Randall Delgado (convert him to reliever) for Peter Bourjos.

I still feel like the Diamondbacks are our best match--regardless of what people here think about Adam Eaton. I would take Wade Miley and Randall Delgado (convert him to reliever) for Peter Bourjos.

I think Miley for Bourjos would be a good deal for the Angels as Miley is a solid Lefty SP but I think asking for Delgado as well would be too much.  Looking at Eaton, he looks to be a pretty solid prospect though so I don't why the D-Backs would be interested unless Eaton is an absolute hack in the field...the guy has a .348/.448/.946 lifetime slash line with 30 SB speed.