• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Shohei Ohtani still has not been invited to HR Derby

ANAHEIM — Shohei Ohtani is still waiting for Major League Baseball to invite him to the Home Run Derby.

At this point, it’s possible that MLB officials have so many other players who want to do it, thanks to the newly added $1 minion for the winner, that that they are going to pick from that list rather than put Ohtani or the Angels in the position of turning them down.

Ohtani, of course, is coming back from Tommy John surgery. While he’s been cleared for normal hitting, the Derby is a higher intensity exercise than playing in a game or taking normal batting practice.

So far the Angels have said little on how the front office or medical staff would feel about his participation, because the question still hasn’t officially been put before them.

Mike Trout, who said he turns down invitations to the Home Run Derby every year, said a couple days ago would “probably win” because of his epic power displays in batting practice.

Justin Bour, who participated in the 2017 Home Run Derby in Miami, said he loved the experience.

“I think it’s awesome,” said Bour. ”If you have an opportunity to do it, I think you should do it. It’s one the most fun times I’ve had playing baseball.”

Bour hit 22 homers in the first round, but lost out to Aaron Judge, who hit 23.

Bour also said he didn’t feel the Derby presented any issues of disrupting a swing.

“It’s the same swing,” he said. “It’s more on the BP thrower throwing it to you home run spot. For some people (it might be a problem). Some people might alter their swings. I didn’t have that feeling really.”

ALSO

JC Ramírez, who was scheduled to pitch at Triple-A on Saturday night, will have at least one more rehab outing after that, Manager Brad Ausmus said. Ramírez’s 30-day rehab assignment was set to expire on Saturday, but he agreed to extend it up to another 30 days…

Keynan Middleton did face hitters on Friday, the first time he’d done so during his rehab from Tommy John surgery. There was some confusion about his workout schedule, but Ausmus confirmed on Saturday that Middleton did face hitters, and he felt good. Middleton is expected to be ready to rejoin the Angels in about three weeks…

The Angels don’t have a scheduled starter for Monday’s game in Texas, but José Suarez is expected to get the call. If Suarez starts, he would likely get another start later in the week because the Angels don’t have an off day until the All-Star break…

Jared Walsh was recalled from Triple-A on Saturday, with Luke Bard being optioned after pitching two days in a row. The Angels view Walsh primarily as a hitter, but he can pitch up to two innings if necessary. The Angels have less need for bullpen coverage now because Trevor Cahill, who was stretched out as a starter, is in the bullpen.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Andrew Heaney, 1-1, 4.99) vs. A’s (RHP Chris Bassitt, 4-3, 3.86), 1:07 p.m., Fox Sports West

View the full article

“or the Angels in the position of turning them down”????

The Angels have zero authority over this matter. If the league asks Shohei to participate he doesn’t even need to ask the Angels for permission. He’s already 100% medically cleared to bat. 

Edited by Calzone 2

11 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

“or the Angels in the position of turning them down”????

The Angels have zero authority over this matter. If the league asks Shohei to participate he doesn’t even need to ask the Angels for permission. He’s already 100% medically cleared to bat. 

That’s not true. 

The HR Derby is different than regular hitting. I asked about this yesterday. The team is always a part of the decision process. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That’s not true. 

The HR Derby is different than regular hitting. I asked about this yesterday. The team is always a part of the decision process. 

Angels manager Mike Scioscia has previously said he doesn't like seeing his players take part in the Derby because he believes the workload is too exhaustive, though he ultimately leaves it up to his players. Trout said he didn't even speak to Scioscia about his decision this year.

"It’s his decision," Scioscia said of Trout. "I know they've adjusted some things, and I know they're going to continue to tweak it so it's not as demanding on each contestant, but I think he'd be fine."

6 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Angels manager Mike Scioscia has previously said he doesn't like seeing his players take part in the Derby because he believes the workload is too exhaustive, though he ultimately leaves it up to his players. Trout said he didn't even speak to Scioscia about his decision this year.

"It’s his decision," Scioscia said of Trout. "I know they've adjusted some things, and I know they're going to continue to tweak it so it's not as demanding on each contestant, but I think he'd be fine."

Trout was never rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. 

Actually, if they are going to put up prize money they should make the invitation to participate based on leading home run hitters up to a certain date.  So, in a way, you have to pre-qualify to have an opportunity.  As of today, Ohtani is tied for 71st in the American League in home runs for this year.  So if they used this system, I don't think Ohtani makes the list unless a whole bunch of players in front of him turn them down.

12 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Actually, if they are going to put up prize money they should make the invitation to participate based on leading home run hitters up to a certain date.  So, in a way, you have to pre-qualify to have an opportunity.  As of today, Ohtani is tied for 71st in the American League in home runs for this year.  So if they used this system, I don't think Ohtani makes the list unless a whole bunch of players in front of him turn them down.

Shohei has more home runs than Vlad jr. The league really wants Trout and Judge but that’s not happening. 

It’s an exhibition. Do people want to see Ohtani hit or that dude on that one team who had a good first half this year? Or the fat kid that they’ve been desperately trying to pimp this year? I know personally that if Ohtani or Trout are not participating I’m not watching