• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cesar Puello

Yep. He was Baseball America's #77 prospect in their pre-2011 list. He had a breakout season in 2013, hitting .326/.403/.547 in AA at age 22, but then was suspended for PEDs in August. He came back 2014 at AAA and didn't look nearly as good (wonder why), hitting .252/.355/.393, then missed all but one game of 2015 with a back injury. The Mets released him. He floated around in the Yankees and Rangers farm systems before the Angels grabbed him off waivers in 2017. He killed it in AAA for a month and a half, was promoted for a game, and then grabbed off waivers by the Rays. He played in the Diamondbacks and Giants AAA teams in 2018, then was signed as a minor league free agent by the Angels last November.

As I see it, he's the type of player who could have a late breakthrough and be a fringe-average major league regular, or a good platoon bat. Not sure about his defense.

20 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Goodwin's last 23 games: .228/.262/.354.

Not too surprising considering he had like a .455 BAbip to start the season - he was going to regress, and fairly hard - but I still think he's something like a.265/.335/.425/.760 hitter when all is said and done - pretty solid. 

Puello would have to play out of his mind (without clear playing time) the next couple weeks to give him the edge over Goodwin. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Ideally, one or the other does just enough to earn something back in a small trade, rather than just losing them to waivers. Even if it's just a swap for another team's DFA'ed arm.

I see this as a good opportunity for Puello and Goodwin to excel as they compete for the final 4th outfielder spot, though they could release both of them since Fletcher and Walsh can play the outfield. 

Still, I like Puello in that he seems to have a good idea at the plate, has some pop and can steal a base. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I see this as a good opportunity for Puello and Goodwin to excel as they compete for the final 4th outfielder spot, though they could release both of them since Fletcher and Walsh can play the outfield. 

Still, I like Puello in that he seems to have a good idea at the plate, has some pop and can steal a base. 

who the hell steals bases anymore though Chuck?  Its right out in moneyball :)  

53 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if Calhoun starts getting heavily shopped in coming weeks and there’s potential for a trigger pulled in late June on a deal, instead of the July deadline, even as soon as Upton nears return, and that’s one reason Puello and Goodwin are both here. That, or they expect Marsh or Adell to hit AAA aim a few weeks, and this is simply clear a spot for them and giving Puello a chance to audition for another club as an eventual waiver claim. 

Obviously it’s dependent on health of some guys, production from some guys, and where the team is in the standings, 

Should Calhoun be dealt, I actually wouldn’t mind the Angels just letting Goodwin/Puello/Parker/Hermosillo/Walshcover RF for the rest of the year, and leave Adell in the minors. Saves them from having to add him to the 40 yet, and let’s then start 2020 with either a good stopgap RF until Adell claims it, or guarantees a proven 4th OF to start the year if Adell breaks camp with the team.