• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Suarez recalled to start Sunday

mmc

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the baloney about 2020 fantasies aside, Suarez starting against a reeling Seattle team on the first weekend in June 2019 is an excellent idea. It turns over the rotation without the probable pain of another Cahill faceplant in a game that could possibly lift the Angels over .500. . If Suarez gets a return ticket to Salt Lake immediately after the game, no problem. If he has done well, he'll be back the next time the rotation needs him.

12 hours ago, Tank said:

I’d expect 25-30 wins this season, an era around 1.50, and near 250 IP.

I think you are being unreasonable.  A more reasonable expectation would be an era around 1.55 and 230 IP.

Though not physically imposing at 5 feet 10, Suarez has a fastball that averages 92 mph and touches 95 with late arm-side movement. His best pitch is an 81-mph changeup he throws with deception and sinking action. His mid-70s curveball is an above-average swing-and-miss pitch when he lands it, and his slider is improving.

“Oh man, he’s got some good stuff — he can really pitch for how young he is,” said backup catcher Dustin Garneau, who caught Suarez at Salt Lake before joining the Angels last week. “He’s kind of like [Griffin] Canning. He’s very mature for his age.

“His size is deceiving. I think it works to his advantage because you don’t expect the ball to come out of his hand the way it does, and it gets on guys. The changeup is his biggest weapon. It plays to righties and lefties, and he has a really good feel for it. When he’s on, he can definitely cruise through some lineups.”

On 5/31/2019 at 9:45 AM, Stradling said:

So why does Skaggs need to be traded but not Heaney? 

No particular reason but Heaney does have an additional year of control over Skaggs and the reality is that we need to maintain depth and if you have two lefties (traditionally anyway) on the Major League roster you need at least 1-2 lefties available down on the farm as depth. Currently Suarez, Peters, and Sandoval are that depth but if you move either of Skaggs or Heaney (or both) you begin to test that depth unnecessarily I think?

Skaggs is probably worth more right now because he is actually functional and has been performing despite coughing up home runs. Andrew seems more likely to be retained at this point in time. I have always liked Tyler and would prefer to keep him for 2020 but I think if Eppler gets a good offer for pieces that help us near-term he may pull the trigger.