• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout batting second is a bust

With the way the Angels roster is set up batting Trout 2nd has not seemed to bolster his ability to drive in runs. There are not enough quality at bats for him with low on base percentage leadoff hitters and guys like Bour batting behind him giving pitchers no reason to not just walk him.

For Trout to have the pitchers attention there would need to be no outs and multiple runners on base but not with first base open. Otherwise we are seeing analytics say walk the best player in baseball and try your luck with s string of barely league average hitters.

The cure is obviously getting Upton and Ohtani back in the lineup but for now they have to manufacture base runners from the back end of the lineup which hasn't been that easy to do and leaves Trout starting the game or innings with bases empty. 

Even with Upton and Ohtani I would still like to see Trout batting third with the hopes Fletcher or Calhoun can hold down leadoff and Ohtani bat second. Then follow Trout with Upton so the opposition has to be very cautious in their game management of the first 4-5 batters. 

btw, I don't necessarily have a problem with Trout batting 2nd or 3rd.  Wherever it is, he's going to lead the league in walks.  there isn't a player you can put behind him that would force a pitcher to pitch to him.  Since that the case, I would prefer him 2nd with two good players behind him to drive him in like Ohtani and Upton.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

btw, I don't necessarily have a problem with Trout batting 2nd or 3rd.  Wherever it is, he's going to lead the league in walks.  there isn't a player you can put behind him that would force a pitcher to pitch to him.  Since that the case, I would prefer him 2nd with two good players behind him to drive him in like Ohtani and Upton.  

Not necessarily true at all