• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Since we are what our record says we are

Everyone (including myself) seems to critique Eppler to the core as to why we didn’t go after some of these guys. But this isn’t the first time he’s passed on key free agents. 

Take a look at Joe Kelley too.

It seems he already knows some players success will not translate to what they are demanding in dollars.  Obviously that’s been a main issue in free agency already. Bryce Harper is the the only marquee free agent who is actually playing out of his mind right now. I’m sure Eppler knew Bryce would play this well. But his job was to lock up our main fish here (which he did) 

I’m sure some of these players will turn it around assuming it’s very early on. It’s the sport in itself that can humble any player extremely fast. Trout doesn’t even have a HR yet. He will probably still hit close to 40 of them. But the point is that the talent will eventually show. 

I know Bourjos and LaStella positions look bald right now for our own lineup but we have to remember that Eppler has had a plan. He’s not dumb. In fact if we had any other gm, I’m not quite sure Trout would be some confident in staying with us. Eppler is a huge reason Trout is here. Which means he’s got something brewing, but some things just take a lot of time and we fans are just impatient because it’s our favorite time of the year (Except Christmas of course ha) but you get the point...

27 minutes ago, TBailey said:

.....I know Bourjos and LaStella positions look bad right now for our own lineup but we have to remember that Eppler has had a plan. He’s not dumb....

The other GM's who signed the guys listed in this thread aren't dumb either....it's always a crap shoot....Eppler (seemingly) has a good eye for pitching but struggles with his position player signings...

Just now, nate said:

Mike Moustakas .998 OPS 148 OPS+

Playing 2b btw.  Signed for 6 million

Yep, there are always exceptions.  And when you have to fill 7 holes with free agency each year and you don’t have an endless bank account, then you are going to hit and miss.  I am not sure if the Angels even spent $6 million on offense this off season.  

They did, but to cover three positions - C, 2b, 1b

I don't think Eppler's bullpen signings were that great though and 2b/3b was a huge need.  He couldn't have foreseen the Upton injury but he did know that Ohtani was out until May and coming off a major surgery.  The offense was always going to be ugly.

6 minutes ago, nate said:

source?

It was $7m including a $1m buyout.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/brewers-to-re-sign-mike-moustakas.html

The Brewers and free-agent third baseman Mike Moustakas have officially agreed to a one-year agreement. The Boras Corporation client will reportedly earn $10MM on the deal, which includes a $7MM salary in 2019 and $3MM buyout on a $11MM mutual option for 2020.

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Some us would like to see a winning team every once in a blue moon. Let's be honest this is one of the dullest teams in the league as they've been constructed the last few years, so it's hard to find incentive to care about a 75 win team that can't score runs. Not all of us have the zen to watch just for the sake of watching. 

1 minute ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Some us would like to see a winning team every once in a blue moon. Let's be honest this is one of the dullest teams in the league as they've been constructed the last few years, so it's hard to find incentive to care about a 75 win team that can't score runs. Not all of us have the zen to watch just for the sake of watching. 

Then simply don’t watch.  If your hobby causes you misery, don’t do that hobby.  All of us want to see a winning team, the complainers aren’t special in that way.  

26 minutes ago, Lou said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/brewers-to-re-sign-mike-moustakas.html

The Brewers and free-agent third baseman Mike Moustakas have officially agreed to a one-year agreement. The Boras Corporation client will reportedly earn $10MM on the deal, which includes a $7MM salary in 2019 and $3MM buyout on a $11MM mutual option for 2020.

So he got 7m with a 3m buyout for 2020.