• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nightingale on Trout

Great article from USA Today by Bob Nightingale on Trout -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/03/19/mike-trout-never-wanted-to-leave-los-angeles-angels/3211347002/

Brings into perspective that Mike can play the game he loves for a ton of money, yet being an Angel, will still give him the personal privacy he can enjoy.  Less pressure from friends, family, and media, on requests for his time and probably fortune if he isn't in the Philly or even East Coast area. 

I recall the Talking Heads complaining over the years that Trout is the greatest athlete that many sports fans would not recognize if he was walking down the street.  That Baseball, the Angels, and Trout should better market Mike as the Face of Baseball in order to grow the game.  Perhaps they should be resigned to the fact that Mike prefers his "anonymity" more than the Spotlight and that staying an Angel gets him the best of both worlds.  

Not so much in reference to this article but im amazed at how so much of the baseball media so apparently upset over this?  They put so much effort into wondering when he would go back east and obviously none into the man himself or this wouldnt surprise anyone.   Some of them seem legit angry.  Maybe try to cover more than the top 3 or 4 teams more and he wouldnt be so anonymous.  Of course it would help if we gave them a reason to actually cover us but i suspect thats coming. 

The whole privacy thing is probably an under-appreciated consideration - I recall a few years ago how some guy bothered the Trout family at the Philly airport - got angry when they were like "This is family time" - and that kind of thing would've been endless - the fans would force him to live in a bubble.  

And Philly in the summertime, a bubble's not a bad place to be - when you smell Center City on a hot summer day, you're immediately reminded that Philly is over 300 years old, and so, probably, is its sewer system.  ?

I'd say he'd have hated playing there - I don't think that's quite true - but it would've definitely been harder to play there than in Anaheim, for lots of reasons.  

9 hours ago, Fregosi said:

I recall the Talking Heads complaining over the years that Trout is the greatest athlete that many sports fans would not recognize if he was walking down the street.  That Baseball, the Angels, and Trout should better market Mike as the Face of Baseball in order to grow the game.  Perhaps they should be resigned to the fact that Mike prefers his "anonymity" more than the Spotlight and that staying an Angel gets him the best of both worlds.  

I'm curious...which Talking Heads song was that? "Once in a Lifetime"? "Burning Down the House"? "Life During Wartime"?

I like this article a lot. It says to a national audience what Angels fans have known since 2011: that Trout is uncomplicated, unassuming, and is a different kind of superstar. He doesn’t like all of the attention or the spotlight. In that way, he may frustrate the national media and even MLB, but I genuinely appreciate that. He may not be all over every story in the national press, (which is honestly the media’s own fault. They choose not to talk about him because of geography), but he’ll also never bring negative coverage to the team.

I'm glad to see he’s always been so fully invested.