• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why not try to sign Dallas Keuchel?

Lots of reasons. 

1. I think it would still take a 3 year 60 mil deal to land him.  We'll see but if he'd take a 1 year deal almost every team would be on it. 

2. We'd lose a draft pick. 

3. He wasn't all that good last year. 

4. Pujols still has 3 years, Upton was just signed,  and trout fa is looming. We just don't have it.  

52 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Lots of reasons. 

1. I think it would still take a 3 year 60 mil deal to land him.  We'll see but if he'd take a 1 year deal almost every team would be on it. 

4. Pujols still has 3 years, Upton was just signed,  and trout fa is looming. We just don't have it.  

We do have it but we’d rather keep in it our pockets. 

But I agree. It’s not worth losing a draft pick when we clearly aren’t favorites for the playoffs. Specially with Houston, Boston and New York as powerhouses. Our chances to sign and lose draft picks would start next year if we’re ready to compete with Houston. 

This is the last season I think where the Angels really season the prospects and then 2020 is a whole new team.

2 hours ago, stevestevens said:

One year deal. You lose a second round pick.

You make the wild card game. It was worth a 2nd round pick. 

If the team is toast by July you trade him for a minor leaguer comparable to around a second round pick. 

I have no faith in Skaggs and Heaney staying healthy. 

You guaranteeing that we make the wild card?

21 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You guaranteeing that we make the wild card?

You have to ask yourself this question ... do we have a better shot of making the playoffs with him or without him? and if you sign him to a 2/3 year deal and you don’t make the playoffs then you have a head start going into 2020. 

Canning, Pena and  Suarez are waiting in the wings to step up if the need arises. Next year may be our year to break out with our prospects ready to storm on to the scene. Ohtani should be fully recovered and ready to make his mark in the AL.

I'm still hoping to make the playoffs this season and in doing so, using it as a stepping stone to next season's division title. A person can dream can't he?

12 hours ago, stevestevens said:

One year deal. You lose a second round pick.

You make the wild card game. It was worth a 2nd round pick. 

If the team is toast by July you trade him for a minor leaguer comparable to around a second round pick. 

I have no faith in Skaggs and Heaney staying healthy. 

I can see the argument from both sides and won't complain regardless of which direction the Angels go on this. What I question is whether we will be able to get a minor leaguer comparable to a second round pick. If Keuchel is putting up a WHIP in line with last year we would be lucky to make a salary dump. Signing him to a multi-year deal to justify losing the draft pick is a risk that shouldn't be overlooked. If his decline continues, this signing could haunt us for some time.

12 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

It's a tread-water, wait-and-see, done-spending year. Get used to it.

It's entirely possible that the most interesting thing to watch in 2019, with respect to the Angels organization, will be how the players at AA and AAA perform. That, and watching Trout and Ohtani hit.

Still completely unacceptable.

How much different is the outlook if they signed Corbin?  He was "overpaid" and I don't dig the contract but the reality us that's what the Angels needed to convert 2019 from a transitional tread water year to a year that the team could contend for the postseason.

And the move would not have hampered or harmed the plan for  the future in any significant way at all.

Of course I hope for the planet to align and contend in 2019.  But it is pretty predictable that there will be issues with the starters and the most obvious "vacancy" on the roster will be a front line starter.

When Corbin wins 8 more games than the Angel #5 starter and the Angels miss the playoffs by 6 games, how many will be pissed the Angels preferred to pass on "overpaying" Corbin by an amount that still would have kept them under the luxury tax?

I just dont think it's worth spending Corbin kind of money this year, with all the potential on the farm. WE ARENT GOING TO UNSEAT THE ASTROS FOR THE DIVISION!!! And the WC is just too risky to bet on.

Besides, Arte knows that he will draw three million, no matter what. Three losing seasons and he still draws 3 mil. He wont exceed his limit THIS YEAR. Next year is more likely. Better FA class and a better read on the farmhands.

Winning for Trout NOW, is not a priority. Others will have other opinions, but my opinion is that the front office senses that Trout is not resigning with the Angels. So, you continue on the course of cultivate farmhands and take short-term chances on players trying to resurrect their careers.

Now, if the farmhands falter this year, I dont know where that leaves us. Probably spending more on FAs in 2020, as Trout will realize that a winning future is not going to come from the farm. And if we take him at face value that he wants to be part of a winning organization, increased spending on FAs will be the only alternative.

Well, trading him is an alternative. Not to be discussed around here..............

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I just dont think it's worth spending Corbin kind of money this year, with all the potential on the farm. WE ARENT GOING TO UNSEAT THE ASTROS FOR THE DIVISION!!! And the WC is just too risky to bet on.

Besides, Arte knows that he will draw three million, no matter what. Three losing seasons and he still draws 3 mil. He wont exceed his limit THIS YEAR. Next year is more likely. Better FA class and a better read on the farmhands.

Winning for Trout NOW, is not a priority. Others will have other opinions, but my opinion is that the front office senses that Trout is not resigning with the Angels. So, you continue on the course of cultivate farmhands and take short-term chances on players trying to resurrect their careers.

Now, if the farmhands falter this year, I dont know where that leaves us. Probably spending more on FAs in 2020, as Trout will realize that a winning future is not going to come from the farm. And if we take him at face value that he wants to be part of a winning organization, increased spending on FAs will be the only alternative.

Well, trading him is an alternative. Not to be discussed around here..............

i really hate this position.  Dont get me wrong its true, im not disputing that, but the idea that since we arent likely  beat Hou means we shouldn't try to be better or make a legit run at that wildcard just perplexes me.   We won a WS from the wildcard, we of all teams know how it can work, but somehow thats not worth the effort to most here.   It just feels gutless to me, like if it isnt a guarantee its not worth it.
No offense meant truly, this is just a position i cant stand and it permeates the game right now.  Oh well we cant really compete so were going to tank or not really bother.   Kinda hard to stomach when the same folks making those calls are still asking me to spend my money on games. 

Today's WC scenario bears no resemblance to the one in 2002. Your best starter wasn't gone for the first 2-3 games of the LDS, even if you win, back then. And look at the teams we would be facing;  one of either BOS, NYY or HOU. Barring injury to them, we have so little chance in a 5 or 7 game series, that it makes more sense to wait till 2020. Outside of the Yankees maybe, there is a good chance BOS and HOU could be weaker.

And if there are injuries to THEM, we can still move at the deadline, if our chances are good.

Besides, we ARE making a legitimate run at the WC. That's the whole idea behind our 1 year signings. I just think it's premature to tie up a bunch of future money on an future that is very unpredictable, from a 2019 vantage point. Especially on aging pitchers. Keuchel is trending down. Take a chance on the Young Turks, instead. Protect the money for the more favorable time period.

If we stay healthy (big IF), we stand as good a chance as MIN, TBR or OAK at making that second WC. The FO has put us in that position, IMO. That's the smartest move, AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

31 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Today's WC scenario bears no resemblance to the one in 2002. Your best starter wasn't gone for the first 2-3 games of the LDS, even if you win, back then. And look at the teams we would be facing;  one of either BOS, NYY or HOU. Barring injury to them, we have so little chance in a 5 or 7 game series, that it makes more sense to wait till 2020. Outside of the Yankees maybe, there is a good chance BOS and HOU could be weaker.

And if there are injuries to THEM, we can still move at the deadline, if our chances are good.

Besides, we ARE making a legitimate run at the WC. That's the whole idea behind our 1 year signings. I just think it's premature to tie up a bunch of future money on an future that is very unpredictable, from a 2019 vantage point. Especially on aging pitchers. Keuchel is trending down. Take a chance on the Young Turks, instead. Protect the money for the more favorable time period.

If we stay healthy (big IF), we stand as good a chance as MIN, TBR or OAK at making that second WC. The FO has put us in that position, IMO. That's the smartest move, AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

In my opinion we and most of the league are using Hou/NY/Bos as en excuse.  Oh no we cant spend cause we arent likely to beat them... well isnt the point to try to do exactly that? 
And im sorry but no, the signings we made were not in my view a legit run, they were what they could get within the budget, nothing more.  
Im hopeful this season turns out for the best, but im far from happy at what the front office did to get us here and not give us a better chance regardless of the reasons. 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:22 PM, Erstad Grit said:

Lots of reasons. 

I’d pay that. Try to get him for 18 AAV. 

2nd round draft picks are sometimes Patrick Corbin or Tyler Chatwood and sometimes they are Ryan Mount or PJ Phillips. They’ve drafted quality in the 2nd round recently, but none of those picks have made it to the majors yet, so...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?team_ID=ANA&draft_round=2&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_round

3. Dallas was better than people think over the past three years since he won a Cy Young. He gives up hits but doesn’t give up runs. He made 34 starts, which no one on the Angels did. 

4. We’re likely in on Gerritt Cole in 2020 FA,  it might affect that, although I think Calhoun and Allen are likely gone for 2020 which will save some money. Keuchel would push the budget, no doubt. 

Cozart is gone after 2020, Simmons and Trout do need to be resigned but while I expect Simmons to get a 25% raise over his cash payroll amount around $16M, Trout will not get 25% more than the 34M he currently makes.