• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani and Opening Day

m0nkey

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

He might be assigned the the 66ers before he plays in Anaheim. If so I will be at those games for sure. 

I highly doubt he plays in the minors. 

Remember, he doesn’t need to play the field so he doesn’t really need game situations. He just needs live pitching, when he can get in extended spring. 

This is what I've been able to dig up so far. The expected progression won't be a surprise to many here that have played. It begins with strength and flexibility exercises, then moves to dry swings, then moves to a tee, then front toss, then machine pitching, then machine pitching with breaking balls, then live pitching, then game time scenario. 

There isn't a specific timeline, but each step takes a couple weeks to progress through. So he'll likely start hitting off the tee in mid February, front toss by the start of March. Machine pitching in mid March. Live pitching in early April, game ready by the third or last week of April.

But as we've seen so many times before, guys that don't get a Spring Training, end up suffering for it. Players need game situations, even if they're just going through them motions. Your typical player gets nearly a month and a half of ST, or a month of game time scenarios before the season starts. Expecting Ohtani to be ready to produce after two weeks is foolish in my opinion. 

If Shohei is back in the lineup April 20th-ish, I think it might be May 15th before he is back in 2018 form. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Your typical player gets nearly a month and a half of ST, or a month of game time scenarios before the season starts.

Except Ohtani is only a DH. He can get 7-8 DH at-bats a day in extended spring training and minor league spring training. 

It accelerates the process significantly. 

I could see him being in the lineup around April 20-25 and being a little rusty for maybe a week.

Also don’t forget: this guy is a freak of nature. He made a significant change in his swing (eliminating the leg kick) in about 3 days.

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

This is what I've been able to dig up so far. The expected progression won't be a surprise to many here that have played. It begins with strength and flexibility exercises, then moves to dry swings, then moves to a tee, then front toss, then machine pitching, then machine pitching with breaking balls, then live pitching, then game time scenario. 

There isn't a specific timeline, but each step takes a couple weeks to progress through. So he'll likely start hitting off the tee in mid February, front toss by the start of March. Machine pitching in mid March. Live pitching in early April, game ready by the third or last week of April.

But as we've seen so many times before, guys that don't get a Spring Training, end up suffering for it. Players need game situations, even if they're just going through them motions. Your typical player gets nearly a month and a half of ST, or a month of game time scenarios before the season starts. Expecting Ohtani to be ready to produce after two weeks is foolish in my opinion. 

If Shohei is back in the lineup April 20th-ish, I think it might be May 15th before he is back in 2018 form. 

Pitchers need that much time, batters do not. But with Shohei’s unique rehab, that could delay him slightly.

42 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Except Ohtani is only a DH. He can get 7-8 DH at-bats a day in extended spring training and minor league spring training. 

It accelerates the process significantly. 

I could see him being in the lineup around April 20-25 and being a little rusty for maybe a week.

Also don’t forget: this guy is a freak of nature. He made a significant change in his swing (eliminating the leg kick) in about 3 days.

Yeah, that's one I still can't fully wrap my mind around. How can Ohtani suddenly remove a major loading and timing mechanism from the swing that he's had since he was a child, and in less than a week be one of the best hitter in MLB? Or how does Mike Trout suddenly decide he's not going to strike out as much anymore, and then just does it.....No huge complicated secret or revelation.

Summing it up by saying that some guys are just amazing sells those two short. They're the amazing, among the amazing. Specifically in Ohtani's case, he's still only 24. He isn't done getting better. Mike Trout likely isn't yet either, but circumstantially, Shohei definitely isn't.

So you're right, because of that, a Ohtani could very well could step into the batters box in 2019 coming off surgery and reach an entirely new level.