• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler's Upcoming Surprise Touchdown (Wild Speculation)

Angelsjunky

Aside from a Trout extension, of course.

Craig Kimbrel. 

Think about it: he is still unsigned, which may mean the Red Sox are moving on. We're two+ weeks from pitchers reporting. The highest free agent reliever contracts this offseason are Britton (3/$39M), then Familia (3/$30M). The Kenley Jansen (5/$80M) and Aroldis Chapman (5/$86M) are starting to look like cautionary tales. 

Maybe Kimbrel settles for a still sizeable 3/$45M or 4/$55M and gives the Angels a truly nasty bullpen: Kimbrel, Allen, Buttrey, Anderson, Garcia, Robles, Bedrosian, Pena/Tropeano/Cole.

AJ I actually agree that he could surprise us with Kimbrel but he will not sign for less than 5 years, $80M-$100M. This disease that top free agents aren't going to get paid has spread across this board like wildfire.

The only way this gets avoided is if one of them accepts a one or two year deal at a higher dollar value but these guys are top notch they are going to get their contracts in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Eppler said he told Allen they wanted him to be the closer. 

He’s not about to go sign someone else now to be the closer. 

Not his style. 

Signed Cozart to play second base and then traded for Kinsler.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Eppler spoke to Cozart about playing 3B when the opportunity came up to trade for Kinsler. Cozart told him that he was ok with it. 

So if the opportunity presents itself to bring in another closer he can talk to Allen about being the setup guy.

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

So if the opportunity presents itself to bring in another closer he can talk to Allen about being the setup guy.

I can't see him being ok with it, nor can I see Eppler even broaching the topic with him. 

I also can't see him acquiring a relief pitcher right now for the amount it'll cost to get Kimbrel

If there is a surprise, I think it would be Machado.....if his market stays flat, Arte might decide he is “the guy” to push the budget...Similar to Vlad, when we got involved late after his market was disappointing....I don’t expect it but it’s the only shocker from the remaining FA’s I can see....

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

If there is a surprise, I think it would be Machado.....if his market stays flat, Arte might decide he is “the guy” to push the budget...Similar to Vlad, when we got involved late after his market was disappointing....I don’t expect it but it’s the only shocker from the remaining FA’s I can see....

Machado just makes too much sense.

Eppler already spent on a reliever which is out of character.  Don't see him doing it twice in one off season.  

There aren't going to be any surprises from this point forward.  The alignment of a Trout extension with another big contract just doesn't fit from the standpoint of maintaining some level of payroll flexibility.  

Halos signed Cody Allen - sort of a risk as a closer --- but the Halos gave him decent closer money -- I don't see Kimbrel happening here.

Dodgers might be smart to spend their "Harper" money on Kimbrel as insurance for Jansen, If both healthy - that would be a killer late inning combo.

I don't think Jansen is going to be able to do back to back games closing like before,

15 hours ago, DMVol said:

It's amazing that Vlad signed a 5 year, $70M contract in 2004.