• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Everyone ready for another round of Mike Trout has to leave BS?

My problem with the proverbial trade Mike Trout article is that it always relies on the assumption that trading him will make the Angels better.

When, in history, trading a superstar NEVER works out for the team. And I'm not talking about All-Star Players, I'm talking about the guys who are perennial MVP candidates.

Seattle traded Griffey, didn't work out for them. Marlins traded Cabrera, didn't work out for them. Stanton didn't bring back much of a return to the Marlins. The problem with these articles is they include All-Star type players still under club control in the same discussion, and they assume they'd get 4-5 quality prospects, because like Chris Sale brought back a nice return to the White Sox. Chris Sale is not Mike Trout.

2 hours ago, TroutTrumbo said:

No matter how much money you offer Trout the Phillies, Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers will offer more. It all comes down to being competitive on the field in 2019 and 2020. 

This isn’t true.  Those other teams all have their own stars to pay.  Pay a lot.  To me, the Phillies are the biggest threat.  They aren’t some massive financial juggernaut that the Angels can’t match. 

A lot of people bitch about Arte but the Angels are a very wealthy team under his ownership.  On Mike Trout, the Angels aren’t going to be out bid.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, TroutTrumbo said:

No matter how much money you offer Trout the Phillies, Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers will offer more. It all comes down to being competitive on the field in 2019 and 2020. 

While I agree it all comes down to fielding a good team, to assume the other teams will offer more is silly.

Pujols is a perfect example. We hate it now, but at the time, he was THE guy. Who outbid us? (Supposedly Miami did). Who outbid us for hamilton (wish they did).

And it wasnt because people were smarter...its that these big money teams didnt have the use at the time.

Arod was trout when he signed his deal...with texas. 

NY may go crazy and chase him...but with judge's pending 20 or so mill a year contract, stantons money, and trouts, will they field a 100 million dollar outfield?

The dodgers might jump at him. Mqybe the phillies because of the hometown vibe. And a lot of other maybes. Who knows. But to assume moreno wont open wide to at least match his other offers is the kind of silly BS bleacher report makes up anyway.

OK, so by some miracle, or more likely some obscene amount of money, we re-sign Trout. What's next?

Do we have a replacement for Simba in our system? Probably not. So, we need to re-sign him, too.

And Albert's contract continues through 2021.

And we have to sign some free agents in THIS offseason. This is a critical offseason, to me. We HAVE to make Trout feel like he is on a contender. Our farm wont help us soon enough, if they even turn out to be bonafide ML players.

How likely is it that Arte forks over all this cash that is needed? Arte is an enigma. He has been very generous at times, but has been burned badly by it. Now, he seems to have pulled back a bit. Who can say what he will do? Trout and his agent will be inquiring about this, I would imagine.

Now, what clubs have the nucleus to be seriously competitive beyond 2020? Of course, this assumes that Trout would eventually like to be on a team that looks to qualify for the playoffs on a semi-regular basis. It's probably a big motivating factor. What else does Trout have to prove in Anaheim?

Well, it sure seems like the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Braves, the Phillies, the Dodgers and the Cubs should be. Those are all pretty rich franchises. We would likely be in a bidding war with some or all of them. Probably have to add the Astros in there, too. They aren't set in their OF. They may have payroll constraint with keeping Correa and Altuve's contract. Bregman is going to ba an expensive arb eligible guy if he keeps going the way he is. Maybe the Astros cant afford Trout. The Giants are always around in any discussion involving high-priced free agents. But I cant see them being very good after 2020, unless they spend big time. And then they wont be able to afford Trout.

I just cant see any scenario working in our favor. Too many competing interests. Too much pull towards the East Coast. Too much uncertainty about the success of the Angels on the field.

So, we trade him, if he wont sign an extension. He will net a boatload.

Maybe the Yankees will not make it to the ALCS this year, while the Red Sox do, and they will be super motivated to get him for half of 2019 and all of 2020. We might get Hicks and maybe Torres or Andujar and maybe someone like Green or Kahne or one of their many good relievers. All things we would need.

It has to be considered. And if we are not likely to make the playoffs by the trading deadline, it will have to be then, or shortly thereafter, to get the maximum value for him. A one year rental of Trout wont garner that much, really. Not enough to be a franchise changer for us. 

Mike Trout fits as the final piece on some team that needs that one, great player. We have too many holes to fill. One great player hasnt really changed our playoff fortunes. He probably should be used to fill a few of our holes. 

The Angels are already paying Trout an “obscene” amount of money.  A raise is going to be like 5 million more dollars.  What they’re adding is a commitment long term to the player.  It’s not about the money.  In the end it’s whether Mike Trout wants to be an Angel or not.  He has to believe in what’s going in with the organization.  If they can work something out sooner that’s better for the Angels.  Everyday that he gets closer to FA presents the Angels with less negotiating leverage.  Eventually, if he won’t sign, they’ll have no choice but to trade him.  A trade is not desirable @WeatherWonk.  It’s not a video game, we aren’t going to get 2 controllable quality ML players and the top 3 prospects from the Dodgers or Yankees or Phillies.  These clubs can’t do that.  No one can do that.  There’s no way for the Angels to get a “fair” return.  Even if they traded him tomorrow.  So the assumption that trading will fix the Angels problems is wrong.  If a trade happens it’s because the Angels won’t have a choice because he won’t sign and they can’t walk him for just a comp pick.  Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.  We’ll find out in the next 12 - 18 months imo.

The Angels have a few real advantages in getting Trout signed. The biggest is having the exclusive negotiating window next year after all the big names set the market. Trout seems like the kind of guy who would prefer to do it that way than chase a few dollars in a bidding war. 

And I think he’s smart enough to not try to win the 2018 World Series during his 2020 free agency. He’ll want a team that looks like a winner going forward, which I think we’ll be. 

5 hours ago, arch stanton said:

The Angels have a few real advantages in getting Trout signed. The biggest is having the exclusive negotiating window next year after all the big names set the market. Trout seems like the kind of guy who would prefer to do it that way than chase a few dollars in a bidding war. 

And I think he’s smart enough to not try to win the 2018 World Series during his 2020 free agency. He’ll want a team that looks like a winner going forward, which I think we’ll be. 

You mean going forward from 2020, or from now to 2020?

'Cause I cant see the Angels being that much better between now and 2020, unless they seriously pursue free agents in the off seasons. I dont think the kids will be ready.

Maybe 60 minutes can do a piece on Trout leaving next.

Maybe Jimmy Kimmel can make it part of his monologue.

MLB network can devote a full hour speculating where he will go next.

Let's turn the topic into a prime time game show.

Why hasn't TIME magazine jumped on this?

TMZ - come on - it's your turn.

Put his picture on a milk carton