• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Why the Angels’ Mike Trout never competes in the Home Run Derby

ANAHEIM — The Home Run Derby participants will be announced on Wednesday and Mike Trout will not be among them again.

Trout, who will be playing in his sixth All-Star Game, has annually rejected the opportunity, but why?

Concerned with injury? Altering his swing?

“I don’t know about any of that,” Trout said Tuesday. “I’d rather just have that night with my family, spend time with them. … I just want to relax and enjoy the day. Just watch it. … I just never had any interest in doing it.”

Besides, he added: “It looks tiring.”

WHAT ABOUT SKAGGS?

Tyler Skaggs threw a second bullpen session in three days and did some fielding drills on Tuesday, passing almost all the tests required for him to return to the Angels’ rotation on Thursday.

Skaggs will have missed one start on the disabled list with tightness in his hamstring area, after having an earlier start pushed back a few days.

Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.

Around all that, he’s fashioned a 2.64 ERA, which ranks eighth in the American League.

Could he sneak into the All-Star Game?

Skaggs was not among the five starting pitchers picked by American League players in voting. One of them, Justin Verlander, was already replaced because he’s pitching on Sunday. He was replaced by Trevor Bauer, who is also scheduled to pitch on Sunday, so he’ll be replaced also.

Blake Snell, who leads the league with a 2.09 ERA, is also a candidate to be an injury replacement. Assuming Snell gets one spot, Skaggs would need another pitcher to become unavailable. James Paxton and Charlie Morton would also be candidates.

“I think (Skaggs) has thrown the ball as well as anybody we’ve seen throw the ball against us,” Manager Mike Scioscia said. “He’s been very consistent. He’s pitched well when he hasn’t had his best stuff. He’s been very consistent pitching at a high level. There’s been no doubt that he’s worthy of All-Star consideration.”

ALSO

Andrelton Simmons was fifth in voting among the five candidates up for election for the last spot on the AL All-Star team as of Tuesday afternoon. Seattle shortstop Jean Segura was leading. Online voting concludes on Wednesday at 1 p.m. …

Nick Tropeano (shoulder), who threw five scoreless innings on 53 pitches in a rehab outing on Saturday, will make another rehab outing on Friday at Class-A Inland Empire. “I guess they want me to throw a no-hitter this time,” Skaggs said. “I feel like I’m ready to go, but I understand.” …

Jim Johnson (back) is going to need at least one more rehab outing, Scioscia said. Johnson pitched an inning on Sunday. …

The Angels recalled outfielder Michael Hermosillo, giving them a true outfielder on the bench. They had been going with Jefry Marte and David Fletcher as their backup outfielders for a few days. Hermosillo took the roster spot of pitcher Deck McGuire, who isn’t needed to start if Skaggs is coming back.

UP NEXT

Angels (Jaime Barría, 5-5, 3.39) vs. Marco Gonzales (9-5, 3.64), Wednesday, 7 p.m., Fox Sports West, KLAA (830 AM)

View the full article