• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards trade speculation

Just now, bloodbrother said:

And this is exactly why I wanted nothing to do with a possible Richards extension. I just can't trust his elbow to hold up after that stem cell treatment. Always felt like he was a ticking time bomb. SMH, he couldn't even hold up long enough to become trade bait at the deadline.

At least now the Angels will not be extending him and costing themselves $100 million.... or at least I hope they wont.

8 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

At least now the Angels will not be extending him and costing themselves $100 million.... or at least I hope they wont.

In what world would Richards get a $100 million contract? Dude would be lucky to get a 2 year $24 deal right now.

1 minute ago, HaloCory22 said:

In what world would Richards get a $100 million contract? Dude would be lucky to get a 2 year $24 deal right now.

If he started 30 games, won 15 of them, and had an ERA below 3.00...maybe not $100MM, but he'd probably get 3-4 years, $15-20MM per.

Obviously not now.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

If he started 30 games, won 15 of them, and had an ERA below 3.00...maybe not $100MM, but he'd probably get 3-4 years, $15-20MM per.

Obviously not now.

Guess I was being a bit harsh. I could see a short 2 year $15 per being offered. Hard to offer a guy with this injury history a deal any longer than 3 imo.

4 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Why would you trade Richards just to get a B prospect.  Why are we wanting to help out other teams just for the sake of doing something.  Makes no sense.

It's moot now since he's hurt again but if the Angels were far out of the race by the deadline, what would be the point of keeping Richards? He's a FA after the season so you'd want to get something in return rather than letting him walk. Teams are always looking for pitching and playoff contenders will pay up for quality arms around the deadline. I think Richards could have netted them a pretty good return tbh

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Obviously not now.

8 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Why would you trade Richards just to get a B prospect.  Why are we wanting to help out other teams just for the sake of doing something.  Makes no sense.

before his injury today if he had won 15 games sported an era of 3.21.... yeah I think someone would have ponied up $100 million.... take a look at past baseball contracts for starting pitchers. You guys act like they grow on trees.

How much have we paid Richards for the last 3-4 years with all these injuries when we still had him under team control. We are paying him $9 million this year to win 4 games. In the last 3 years we have paid Richards $24 million to make 25 starts. 

As far as trading Richards under the premise of he was healthy and sporting the era of 3.21 that he had at the start of today...... to only think we would receive a "B" prospect is laughable.

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Richards just cost himself a lot of money. He should have been negotiating a 2 year extension with the Angels in May

Apparently it was a hamstring issue today. Not an arm issue. Maybe he did talk to the Angels about an extension and decided it was better to wait out till free agency?

4 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Why would the Angels do that though? The guy hasn't shown to be reliable/available so it made little sense for them to lock him up after coming off another lost season last year.

I'm not saying the Angels should. I've actually been saying since before it was cool that we should just walk away from the guy. The risk isn't worth the reward

But from Richards and his agents point of view, he should be looking for maximum security since he's already lost out on 50-100 million due to injuries

He is literally one pitch away at any given time from not getting a contract at all next year

9 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

before his injury today if he had won 15 games sported an era of 3.21.... yeah I think someone would have ponied up $100 million.... take a look at past baseball contracts for starting pitchers. You guys act like they grow on trees.

How much have we paid Richards for the last 3-4 years with all these injuries when we still had him under team control. We are paying him $9 million this year to win 4 games. In the last 3 years we have paid Richards $24 million to make 25 starts. 

As far as trading Richards under the premise of he was healthy and sporting the era of 3.21 that he had at the start of today...... to only think we would receive a "B" prospect is laughable.

You're severely overrating how much a half season rental pitcher with roughly 127 IP combined since the start of 2016 can net you. Trade value and FA signing value are completely different in this case.

IMO the best we could hope for (before today) would be a similar deal to what the Rangers got from the Dodgers for Darvish last trade deadline. Willie Calhoun. A top 100 prospect B level prospect. Except Darvish already got TJS over with so that risk isn't there anymore vs Richards and the high risk involved with his arm.

4 minutes ago, HaloCory22 said:

IMO the best we could hope for (before today) would be a similar deal to what the Rangers got from the Dodgers for Darvish last trade deadline. Willie Calhoun. A top 100 prospect B level prospect. Except Darvish already got TJS over with so that risk isn't there anymore vs Richards and the high risk involved with his arm.

Calhoun was a B prospect when he was moved? Wow, you sure are an incredibly strict grader. Sickels has him as a B+/A- entering this year. 

5 minutes ago, HaloCory22 said:

we will have to agree to disagree. No worries.

But to say that because someone has already had TJ surgery that they are now immune from it again is not correct.

8 minutes ago, YouthofToday said:

Calhoun was a B prospect when he was moved? Wow, you sure are an incredibly strict grader. Sickels has him as a B+/A- entering this year. 

I asked my best friend (a dodgers fan) for a grade level on him. B/B+ is what he came up with. Either way, doesn't really change anything on GR's value. A 60-100 top prospect. 

8 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

we will have to agree to disagree. No worries.

But to say that because someone has already had TJ surgery that they are now immune from it again is not correct.

Oh, of course not. Just saying the likeliness of having a 2nd TJS is pretty rare in comparison to GR's potential to get TJS at the current moment.

9 minutes ago, HaloCory22 said:

Also at the time of the trade last year Darvish had a losing record with an ERA over 4. Big Big difference between that and a pitcher with an ERA of 3.21. The difference is league average to one of the best ERA's in baseball for a starting pitcher.... there has been a lot of CY Young winners who do not have an ERA of 3.21.