• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Did anyone here consistently watch Ohtani play in Japan

For those of you who don't know, out of high school Ohtani clearly expressed that he wanted to be a pitcher in the bigs. But the Fighters drafted him anyway, and lured him by presenting him the plan to make history as a two-way player. After a while, they found out that he was actually a better hitter than a pitcher. He began to play in the outfield, and the DH was forfeited on days he pitched. There is a legendary story of him hitting lead-off on a game he was pitching.  The manager put him at the one-spot and told him "Hit a HR so you don't have to be stuck on the bases and tire yourself before throwing your first pitch". So he swung at the first pitch he saw, drove it into the RF stands, and started trotting around the bases.The manager ended up screaming to him to run slowly around the bases, to keep his breath.

Despite his success, the Fighters were criticized very often, and when he got hurt, the commentators piled on him. They finally came up with a solution, to use him as a DH, and on days that he is pitching and the days prior and after he pitches, he rests. He ended up having a legendary year, .322 /.416 / .588 and 22 HRs in 380 ABs, and 10-4 with a 1.86 ERA.

The Angels are following the formula the Fighters came up with, and it's working fine so far.

9 hours ago, moccasin said:

Despite his success, the Fighters were criticized very often, and when he got hurt, the commentators piled on him. They finally came up with a solution, to use him as a DH, and on days that he is pitching and the days prior and after he pitches, he rests.

Now, wait a minute. I have it on good authority that Mike Scioscia came up with that routine against Shohei's will.

11 hours ago, moccasin said:

Wow, thanks for the high praise. I'm not here as often as the others, but now I'm glad I posted.

No problem. It's always nice to hear from someone with actual knowledge of the situation.