• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Clever trading (NYY)

I just realized how clever the Yankees were to acquire top prospect Gleyber Torres a couple years ago.

Step 1: Trade spare parts to the Reds for Aroldis Chapman

Step 2: Trade Chapman to the Cubs for Torres and another good prospect, Billy McKinney (and a couple other spare parts)

Step 3: Sign Champan as a free agent

Now this has obviously been done before, but rarely so nicely. They ended up wiith not only a nice prospect haul for Chapman, but Chapman himself.

The Angel equivalent would be something like trading Garret Richards at the deadline for Vlad Jr, then re-signing Richards in the offseason as a free agent.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I just realized how clever the Yankees were to acquire top prospect Gleyber Torres a couple years ago.

Step 2: Trade Chapman to the Cubs for Torres and another good prospect, Billy McKinney (and a couple other spare parts)

Now this has obviously been done before, but rarely so nicely. They ended up wiith not only a nice prospect haul for Chapman, but Chapman himself.

The Angel equivalent would be something like trading Garret Richards at the deadline for Vlad Jr, then re-signing Richards in the offseason as a free agent.

If we’re not in contention at the break then it makes sense to trade Richards. The only problem is that we probably won’t get him back. 

1 hour ago, OHTANILAND said:

If we’re not in contention at the break then it makes sense to trade Richards. The only problem is that we probably won’t get him back. 

I would say it has to depend on the season that Richards has. If he put together an all-star season we could get a nice package back. Take a look at Darvish, he had and Era around 4 when he was traded and still fetched Calhoun and a few minor peaces.

The next point, is how much a team is desperate!! the cubs at time were desperate at that time to break the 100 year curve and made that trade, well looking at there past trade they've made similar trades.

Looking at the rays, they have Josh heading towards free agency and Sanchez and Stroman   are struggling. but i still do not see them trading Jr, but maybe a Richards for Bo could occur.

But other teams such as the phillies or Braves, if they are in contention may make that trade

1 minute ago, SuperTroopers said:

My point is if he does we’re likely in contention 

His agent could also force the Angels hand. At the end of the day the open market gives Richards an opportunity to cash in big if he continues to perform at a high level. The Angels will have a decision to make at some point. I hope he continues to pitch well. He was pretty good last night. 

18 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

His agent could also force the Angels hand. At the end of the day the open market gives Richards an opportunity to cash in big if he continues to perform at a high level. The Angels will have a decision to make at some point. I hope he continues to pitch well. He was pretty good last night. 

he could force their hand to do what?

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

he could force their hand to do what?

Doc, if he’s rock solid nearing the break, I could see him asking for a 4-5y / 68-80m extension depending on his numbers. He will definitely compare his current numbers to some of the other highest paid pitchers. It’s a business decision on both sides. 

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

we need to wait for a high profile player to choke his girlfriend and then shoot off a gun right before he's about to get traded.  Then, after we acquire him, we need him to do well after his suspension so we can trade him to a team so desperate for a championship that they'll give up anything.  

seriously though.  they got him for literally nothing, but there was some risk in taking him on.  My guess is that they didn't acquire him to trade him though.  

The cubs gave up so much.   Not only was it Torres and McKinney, but Adam Warren who they had used Starlin Castro to acquire.  So the skanks got him for free.  Of course spinning him and a couple other prospects for Stanton.  

4 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Doc, if he’s rock solid nearing the break, I could see him asking for a 4-5y / 68-80m extension depending on his numbers. He will definitely compare his current numbers to some of the other highest paid pitchers. It’s a business decision on both sides. 

sure.  He could ask.  But based on the market from the recent off season, I don't see him getting that.  I'm also still unclear as to how the Angels hands are being forced.  Like they have no other choice?  

To me, a more likely scenario is a 3yr deal with a couple of team options.  

He'll be entering his age 31 season.  Cobb was a year younger, a little more consistent and got 4/57.  An overpay in my opinion.  One that bmore is likely already scratching their head about already.  

So I don't think Eppler will get his hand forced.  

1 hour ago, OHTANILAND said:

That wouldn't happen either as you have assured us many times that he lost his chance at a big payday.   So which is it? 

Edited by Inside Pitch

20 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

That Cobb deal looks atrocious.

An all too early look at the "missed opportunities"

Cobb -- 2 GS, 7 IP,  20 H, 2 BB, 4K, 3.143 WHIP, 15.43 ERA 
Lynn --  3 GS, 15 IP, 13 H, 15 BB, 19 K, 1.867 WHIP, 6.00 ERA
Darvish- 4 GS, 19.2 IP, 21 H, 11 BB, 21 K, 1.627 WHIP, 6.86 ERA

Outside of Arrieta, none of the popular names bantered around here have done well at all.   It's obviously tiny samples but for all the bellyaching about our SPs, the popular alternatives haven't done well (again save for Arrieta).

25 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

That wouldn't happen either as you have assured us many times that he lost his chance at a big payday.   So which is it? 

He did miss his big payday.

He certainly isn't going to get Verlander type money that he surely would've had if he had stayed healthy and continued to pitch like he did in 2014. He now has an opportunity to salvage a decent payday. Both he and Verlander share the same agent.

1 minute ago, OHTANILAND said:

He did miss his big payday.

He certainly isn't going to get Verlander type money that he surely would've had if he had stayed healthy and continued to pitch like he did in 2014. He now has an opportunity to salvage a decent payday.

He wasn't going to ever get a Verlander deal because he never put up that sort of a track record.

I pointed to Rich Hill's deal as an example of how teams would in fact be willing to give him a decent deal.  You scoffed at that too.

Teams will pay for upside -- Richards' upside is real, and the Phillies GM knows him well.   Barring injury he's likely a good bet to get a deal somewhere between what Arrieta and Darvish got... and that number may go north if Patrick Corbin continues to do what he's been doing.

Keshaw, Corbin, and Richards may all be on the market at the same time ..  PLUS all the one year guys from this season.