• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

39 minutes ago, Bubby said:

He was 3rd on BA's top Angels prospect list for 2001. I think everyone's favorite, Stephen "Future Angels" Smith, had him ranked No.1 on one of his lists at some point, for what that's worth. Either way, I think he was one 'we used to get excited about'.

Stephen Smith.....   Sorta leaves a bad taste in your mouth doesn't it?

1 hour ago, ettin said:

Agreed, it is not my first choice from an age perspective, I'd rather see Matt succeed. However prospects are fickle too. If J.F. is getting it done and Thaiss struggles to develop then who knows? J.F. may be a good stop-gap until Matt is fully ready (which may be tomorrow or 2 years from now or god forbid, never).

There's a scenario where Fernandez wins the 1B job, Thaiss is traded, and Maitan becomes the starting 1B sometime in 2021-23. Just pointing out that the long-term future of 1B might not be JMF or Thaiss, but Maitan.

Operative word being "might."

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I wonder though if the Angels don't see Fernandez as a 3B? Maybe he sucks there defensively.  I don't believe he started once there for us and I don't think he started many games in AAA at the hot corner either. 

Possibly because he's had almost no experience there.   He's had a total of 40 chances at 3b the last two years and under 80 total including his time in Cuba -- I think he had fewer than 20 put-outs there, lifetime the only time I looked.   Still, if the reason they haven't promoted the other guys is due to the 40 man roster, it shouldn't matter anyway.  Also, despite brutal metrics last year and in the handful of games he played there in Cuba, he's caught everything hit his way this year.   

It may just be a case of Fletcher over Fernandez, than Valbuena over Fernandez.   At least until or unless they move Kinsler.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Stephen Smith.....   Sorta leaves a bad taste in your mouth doesn't it?

Yeah, but it's worth bringing him up for the lulz. But I have many fond memories from the OMB of crazy ole FutureAngels. I thought for sure that guy must have checked out by now, but surprisingly he's still kicking down there in Florida. 

Screenshot_20180729-174408.png

34 minutes ago, Bubby said:

Yeah, but it's worth bringing him up for the lulz. But I have many fond memories from the OMB of crazy ole FutureAngels. I thought for sure that guy must have checked out by now, but surprisingly he's still kicking down there in Florida. 

Screenshot_20180729-174408.png

Definitely always worth a chuckle.

And as for Thaiss/JMF, it doesn't bother me if Fernandez plays 120 games a year vs RHP. Eppler might want more thump from that spot though.

For me, I could care less about the HR's from him. Jose doesn't get the bat knocked out of his hands, but more than anything he'll get on base and help turn the lineup over. 

Can't say thatabout the current option.

15 minutes ago, NachoPop said:

4/5 with 2HR and a 2B

Awesome. Average up to .277 and OPS of .871 on the year. He really needs to stay in Salt Lake the rest of the way to develop so it's best to keep EYJ as our 4th outfielder until the season's end. Probably should have been EYJ over Hermosillo from the start.

Notes from last night...

• Rengifo: 1-4, Thaiss: 1-5, Ward: 0-4, 2 K
  • Hermosillo: 4-5, 2B, 2 HR (11), 4 RBI
  • Jo Adell: 0-5, 3 K, Marsh: 0-2, 3 BB, K
  • Patrick Sandoval: 4.2 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 9 K, 76 pitches, 55 strikes
  • Torii Jr.: 1-4
  • Orlando Martinez: 1-3, 2B, RBI, BB
  • A nice start from '17 7th Rd. Denny Brady: 5 IP, 4 H, BB, 6 K - on the year, 4.95 ERA in 7 GS, 20 IP with 5 BB, 24 K, .313 BAA, 1.55 WHIP
  • 2018 6th Rd. pick Austin Warren: 18.2 IP, 24 H, 8 BB, 25 K in 12 G between Orem/Burlington
  • Kevin Maitan: 0-3, BB, 2 K, E (21)
  • Cole Duensing with a human start: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
  • Jeremiah Jackson is red-hot: 2-3, 2 R, HR (5), 3 RBI, BB, K, 2 E (7)
  • Jordyn Adams: 1-5, 2 K, Trent Deveaux: 1-4, BB, 2 K, D'Shawn Knowles: 0-4, BB, SB (7)
  • David Clawson: 2-3, R, 2B: 21-yr old catcher is slashing .293/.362/.466/.828 with 8 XBH, 8 BB, 13 K in 22 G/58 AB
  • Jerryell Rivera made it through a start: 4 IP, 3 H, ER, BB, 4 K