• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

52 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I remember every single one of those guys.

Ryant Mount was going to be a power hitting 2B. Jeremy Moore's power speed combo was enticing. Robert Fish was a lefty that could reach back and touch 96.

I'll also add two names to this mix that I thought would be better.

1. Luis Jimenez

2. Travis Witherspoon

lucho and t-spoon

16 hours ago, Dochalo said:

every year there's some college sr who crushes.  

remember Mike Fish?  or Brandon Decker? 

Lopez ended up halfway decent in aa/aaa actually.  I remember thinking he should be called up at one point.  just looked.  He's still in the mexican league at age 32.  

remember some of the other guys we used to get excited about?  

Stephen Marek, Bobby Mosebach, Hainley Statia,  Chris Petit, Ryan Mount, Trevor Bell, David Herndon, Bobby Cassevah, PJ Phillips, Jeremy Moore, Ryan Brasier, Robert Fish, etc

I remember being on the Gabe Jacobo bandwagon and then we released him for some unknown reason.  

Brian Specht.

Julian Leon is an interesting guy at high A.  Plays C.  Was originally in the dogs org as an intl sign from Mexico, and we picked him up last year.  As a 21 yo in A last year, he had an .870 ops.  Now in A+ this year and has a .740 ops in 160 pa.  31bb/53k.  Not sure of his defense but he's caught 22/66 for 33% cs rate.  

I try to keep up with this thread as best I can and i appreciate all the hard work that goes into following our Farm system you guys are awesome. I have one question 

How’s Hunter Jr looking? Anyone think he’s got a real shot at cracking the bigs? or even becoming a Top 100 prospect 

24 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

I try to keep up with this thread as best I can and i appreciate all the hard work that goes into following our Farm system you guys are awesome. I have one question 

How’s Hunter Jr looking? Anyone think he’s got a real shot at cracking the bigs? or even becoming a Top 100 prospect 

This is just my take, but I think he's a classic athlete-before-ballplayer, meaning he probably won't make it. That said, he could eventually become a decent fourth outfielder. But he's got to keep at it and it might take a few years. He could give up before then.

2 hours ago, TroutField said:

Rengifo keeps on killing the ball...

2-4 tonight with 3 rbi and a run

Matt Thaiss 3-4 with a homer 

Taylor Ward 3-5 with 2 rbi

Fernandez 3-5 and his avg. is now up to .340 in Salt Lake. 

Suarez struggled again, 4 1/3rd 5 earned with 3 Walks and only 2 strikeouts 

I really look forward to seeing Rengifo, Thaiss, Ward, and Fernandez up in September. Hopefully we'll see at least Ward and Fernandez before then.

6 hours ago, Bubby said:

Brian Specht.

Specht doesn't really hit the profile, he never really hit that well until he was 24 and in AAA and he was taken out of a HS in CO...    But he was definitely one of the best of a very bad lot of prospects in the early 2000s when Stoneman took over.   Amezaga, Durrington, Larry Barnes, Nathan Haynes....    Was slim pickings for position players back then.   

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I really look forward to seeing Rengifo, Thaiss, Ward, and Fernandez up in September. Hopefully we'll see at least Ward and Fernandez before then.

If we see a Kinsler trade then I wouldn’t mind seeing Fernandez at 3rd for the remainder of the year.  

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If we see a Kinsler trade then I wouldn’t mind seeing Fernandez at 3rd for the remainder of the year.  

With the Angels, Fernandez has only seen time at 1B. I'm guessing this is by design too. He's simply passable at 2B and 3B and it seems like Eppler is aiming for more than that in his roster construction.

Though I'm beginning to question the value of defensive first roster building. It hasn't really produced results yet, and teams that are absolute crap in the field are still winning more ball games than the Angels.

It seems to me that defense shouldn't be a primary aim as much as it should be viewed as something to strive for after pitching and offense are covered.

So I'd like to see Fernandez log most of his starts at 2B or 3B going forward.

Though I do wonder if he's long for the organization. We have so much depth at 2B and 3B that his only way to playing time here is in the Luis Valbuena role.

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I wonder though if the Angels don't see Fernandez as a 3B? Maybe he sucks there defensively.  I don't believe he started once there for us and I don't think he started many games in AAA at the hot corner either. 

He's better than Yunel was at 3B.

9 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Fernandez is a given to be up when rosters expand.  I think there's a good chance we see the other guys, too.  Certainly it would make sense to give them some reps and see how they respond to MLB pitchers, as that'll help us formulate our offseason game plan.

Don't think Thaiss will be up.  As Fletcher has mentioned, there could be a 40 man crunch at some point and Thaiss doesn't need to be added till after next year.  

Whereas Ward, Suarez, Walsh, Rengifo and Luis Pena all need to be added by dec of 18 if we don't want them eligible for the rule 5.  

Hofacket, Hutton Moyer, Baldoquin, Joe Gatto, Connor Lillis-White are other eligibles after the season.  

I would really like to see them covert Luis Pena to relief or at least bring him up in sept to pitch out of the pen.  

Walsh is going to be an interesting one to watch.  He's struggled in AAA so far.   Turns 25 tomorrow.  .900 ops this year otherwise with 21hrs.  

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I wonder though if the Angels don't see Fernandez as a 3B? Maybe he sucks there defensively.  I don't believe he started once there for us and I don't think he started many games in AAA at the hot corner either. 

I think they potentially see him as a better temporary replacement for Valbuena next season. In particular he has been strong against RHP in the Minors so he could fill 1B about 110 games out of the season. If he can fill that gap until Thaiss is ready that would be a good outcome. Alternatively he may do really well and the Angels could keep him and move Thaiss in trade.

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Specht doesn't really hit the profile, he never really hit that well until he was 24 and in AAA and he was taken out of a HS in CO...    But he was definitely one of the best of a very bad lot of prospects in the early 2000s when Stoneman took over.   Amezaga, Durrington, Larry Barnes, Nathan Haynes....    Was slim pickings for position players back then.   

He was 3rd on BA's top Angels prospect list for 2001. I think everyone's favorite, Stephen "Future Angels" Smith, had him ranked No.1 on one of his lists at some point, for what that's worth. Either way, I think he was one 'we used to get excited about'.

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

I think they potentially see him as a better temporary replacement for Valbuena next season. In particular he has been strong against RHP in the Minors so he could fill 1B about 110 games out of the season. If he can fill that gap until Thaiss is ready that would be a good outcome. Alternatively he may do really well and the Angels could keep him and move Thaiss in trade.

Tough to move Thaiss in favor of a 30/31 yo rookie.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Tough to move Thaiss in favor of a 30/31 yo rookie.  

Agreed, it is not my first choice from an age perspective, I'd rather see Matt succeed. However prospects are fickle too. If J.F. is getting it done and Thaiss struggles to develop then who knows? J.F. may be a good stop-gap until Matt is fully ready (which may be tomorrow or 2 years from now or god forbid, never).