• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I hid the list because it's paid material and we probably shouldn't be publishing it for all to get for free.  I'll let Chuck or someone else reveal it if they see fit.  

Probably not popular opinion, but thanks. I am a believer that paywalls are stupid and ad revenue + premium user benefits is the best way to fund sites. However, I respect that many disagree and build their business model differently. Revealing their "behind the wall" content might actually encourage their business model via intrigued readers of inappropriately exposed content signing up because they saw what they're missing, with unrealistic expectations because what gets hijacked is always the most compelling content. 

I'd rather that these sites live or die by their business model to help instruct those that will compete with them in the future. Aren't willing to pay? That's fine. There should be consequences to those sites for their decisions. 

Reminder to self: still haven't sent @Chuckster70 check to remove ads on AW. Sorry man, it's been on my to do list for months. At this point I should probably just wait and send the last day of regular season so that I get minimal benefit for slackerism until winter meetings heat up. That'll teach me! 

I won't post the scouting reports and other stuff from Baseball America, but here's there mid-season Angels top 10.

1. Jo Adell, OF
2. Griffin Canning, RHP
3. Brandon Marsh, OF
4. Jahmai Jones, 2B
5. Jose Suarez, LHP
6. Jordyn Adams, OF
7. Matt Thaiss, 1B 
8. Jose Soriano, RHP
9. Luis Rengifo, SS
10. Taylor Ward, 3B

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I won't post the scouting reports and other stuff from Baseball America, but here's there mid-season Angels top 10.

1. Jo Adell, OF
2. Griffin Canning, RHP
3. Brandon Marsh, OF
4. Jahmai Jones, 2B
5. Jose Suarez, LHP
6. Jordyn Adams, OF
7. Matt Thaiss, 1B 
8. Jose Soriano, RHP
9. Luis Rengifo, SS
10. Taylor Ward, 3B

I don’t follow the MiLB guys, just read what’s posted on AW so thanks to all of you that keep me informed... you know who you are.

So, I’m a bit surprised Jones is listed so high. Am I missing something?

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

Hey everyone, how's going? Feeling good? Last night on the farm...

• Rengifo! 3-5, 2 doubles - now slashing .354/.415/.604/1.019 in AAA and .319/.422/.489/.911 on the year!
  • Hermosillo: 2-5, 3 K, Thaiss: 2-5 with a double and triple, Ward 3-4 with a double and walk
  • 1B/RF Jared Walsh pitched again, and it was good! 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts. On the year, he has 5 G, 5 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K (1.80 ERA, .211 BAA, 1.20 WHIP, 12.6 K9)
  • Jahmai Jones with a big night! 3-3 with a double and 2 walks
  • Jose Rojas, second half (26 G, 90 AB): .333/.398/.688/1.086 with 8 doubles, 8 homers
  • Jo Adell since the Futures Game (7 G, 35 PA: .200/.294/.300/.594
  • Jorge Tavarez took the loss, but he's had a great year at Burlington/IE as a multi-inning reliever (28 G/60.1 IP): 2.39 ERA, .231 BAA, 1.21 WHIP - 22 walks, 72 strikeouts, 0 home runs
  • Livan Soto is backing up the hype I'm trying to build: 3-5 with 2 doubles last night, hitting .395 in his last 10 games and .289/.379/.356/.734 on the year
  • Francisco Del Valle 1-5 with a triple and 3 RBI
  • Tim Millard hit HR #5; he's 23 and likely just beating up on inferior competition, but slashing .308/.408/.485/.893 on the year in Orem
  • Jordyn Adams had a nice night: 3-4 with a double and SB, now slashing a fine .286/.407/.388/.795 through his first 5 games. Get the feeling he may develop more as a speed/OBP guy in contrast to Adell's raw power. 
  • Trent Deveaux: 0-4, 3 K - he's still 18 but tough start for Trent. Lots of strikeouts (38 in 89 AB) but he's at least drawing walks too (11)
  • D'Shawn Knowles: 1-3, BB - slashing a nice .316/.389/.411/.799 with 11 walks, 24 strikeouts, and 6 XBH in 25 G/95 AB - better yet? He's still only 17-years old. 
  • UDFA Parker Joe Robinson, a 22-year old 6'5" RHP from Junipero Serra HS is pitching well in AZL: 13 IP, 0.69 (nice) ERA, .200 BAA, 0.77 WHIP, 1 walk, 13 strikeouts
  • I haven't brought him up much this year, but I'm still watching 17-year old DSL IF Julio de la Cruz, who is slashing .200/.321/.356/.676 in 38 games. His 5 HR are 4th best in the league, and while he's striking out too much (46 in 135 AB) he's also walking at a good clip (14.5%) and to exhibit that much power and discipline at his age seems like it's worth keeping an eye on.  

Adell be tired. It happens.

9 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

I don’t follow the MiLB guys, just read what’s posted on AW so thanks to all of you that keep me informed... you know who you are.

I'm surprised Soriano is still ranked #8.   He's been terribly inconsistent so far in low A ball, albeit age 19.    Out of seven starts so far, he's had three dominant home outings of 3 innings and 4 innings, and three horrible road outings where he didn't even get out of the 2nd inning.   I guess they are looking at those three dominant outings?   The road thing is to be expected for a 19 year-old?

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'm surprised Soriano is still ranked #8.   He's been terribly inconsistent so far in low A ball, albeit age 19.    Out of seven starts so far, he's had three dominant home outings of 3 innings and 4 innings, and three horrible road outings where he didn't even get out of the 2nd inning.   I guess they are looking at those three dominant outings?   The road thing is to be expected for a 19 year-old?

I would have ranked about 3-4 other guys higher than Soriano as well. Weird. 

18 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

He is still a really athletic, talented player, he's just run into a Minor League level change that has caught him flat-footed. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to pick it up in the 2nd half of the season here.

1 minute ago, ettin said:

He is still a really athletic, talented player, he's just run into a Minor League level change that has caught him flat-footed. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to pick it up in the 2nd half of the season here.

I get that, but shouldn’t he be rated based on actual current performance?

Hell, Torii is a gifted athlete too...

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

Yep. While the BA is low, the walk rate is strong, as is his power and SB totals. 

There's still a lot to like about this talented kid. 

13 hours ago, 101halo said:

Reminder to self: still haven't sent @Chuckster70 check to remove ads on AW. Sorry man, it's been on my to do list for months. At this point I should probably just wait and send the last day of regular season so that I get minimal benefit for slackerism until winter meetings heat up. That'll teach me! 

You better get that proverbial check in the mail soon, because I'm adding even more ads here this weekend.  :) 

40 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Where is Maitan, anyways? He hasn't played since July 13.

As for Maitan, the recent scouting reports going back a year or so have not been glowing. I don't think he's as volatile as, say, Nonie Williams, who will probably be a bust, but he's far from a sure thing. 

Read somewhere he was out with a sore back and would return to the line-up soon.

4 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

I get that, but shouldn’t he be rated based on actual current performance?

Hell, Torii is a gifted athlete too...

BBA is about projection over production in most cases...   Guys can tank and still have the tools to succeed and that's true of Jones.   Keep in mind he is still very young, four years below the league average in AA....  Consider your example of Hunter Jr...  He's three years older and two levels below him.

29 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

BBA is about projection over production in most cases...   Guys can tank and still have the tools to succeed and that's true of Jones.   Keep in mind he is still very young, four years below the league average in AA....  Consider your example of Hunter Jr...  He's three years older and two levels below him.

he's the second youngest player in the southern league.  

He's had crazy BABIP issues this year.  Only thing I can think of is a slightly increased GB rate.  but not by much.  plus his LD rate has gone up.  His BB rate has almost doubled.  k rate is about the same.  isolated power about the same.  

weird.  

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Got it, I still think the projection over production may be top heavy based on the list Chuck posted. But I am just an old dude sipping on a beverage so it doesn’t matter much. 

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

1. Jo Adell, OF
2. Griffin Canning, RHP
3. Brandon Marsh, OF
4. Jahmai Jones, 2B
5. Jose Suarez, LHP
6. Jordyn Adams, OF
7. Matt Thaiss, 1B 
8. Jose Soriano, RHP
9. Luis Rengifo, SS
10. Taylor Ward, 3B

Not a bad list, though I find it odd Maitan isn't listed. I'd replace Soriano with Maitan and then switch him with Ward. Then switch Thaiss and Rengifo.