• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

31 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Angels released OF Rymer Liriano.

Liriano presumably exercised an opt-out in his minor league deal with the Halos. The 27-year-old outfielder had an .866 OPS with 16 home runs, 68 RBI, and six stolen bases in 65 games this season at Triple-A Salt Lake. He should find a new organization rather quickly.

Seemed like a decent piece to include in a trade...oh well

SLC inflated for sure.  

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Pretty much....  Before him he was Rafael something...     27 year olds picked up off the discard file tend not to have a lot of trade value.

Rymer looked good in ST I thought. Good at-bats. I actually would've preferred to see him get opportunity before Blash, but oh well.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Not a glowing scouting report on Rengifo. I guess he projects as a bench player. I know I'm biased but I just think he's going to outperform the scouting report.

He already has from what I've seen this year which is probably about 40-50 of his at bats over the course of 20+ games.  

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that his speed has played way up and he's faster than many have said.  Fringe - average runner is way low.  He's not a true burner, but he's got 50-55 grade speed.  He's actually got more power from the right.  The hit tool is where it's hard to say he's gonna be wrong.  Contact has been plus but he'll need to continue to find gaps and lines for xbh as he does look a bit slappy at times.  But there's sneaky power there that could develop more.  

He plays a capable SS and his arm is avg.  Definitely a 2bman going forward.  I've seen him range in both directions and into short RF without issue.  In fact, it's not plus but seemed above avg to me.  He's got more athleticism than is being conveyed so there's potential and he's not a totally finished product.  

The author pegs him as a safe bet for util which to me means that's his floor.   And I think that's fair.  But i've seen a much more dynamic player than that.  The 'hydrant' frame reminded me of someone who used to be in the org and we wish still was.  Most didn't think Segura would stick on the left side because of his arm.  They called his speed avg to slightly above and like his bat speed but didn't like his discipline.  So a bit different there but Rengifo has discipline in spades.  

We shall see.  

I recall reading less than glowing reports on the Indians' Jose Ramirez. Soft, not a burner, average bat, more gap power than HR power. 

Guess they missed on that one.

As for Rengifo, I don't mind the scouting report. It seems borderline reputable to me, probably as good or better than anything I'll write.

But I'm not doubting the man's writing ability as much as I am his scouting ability. He hits a lot of the main points but undersells his bat. What he calls 45-55 I'd call 55-60. Its that good. And even if he walks less and K's more against good pitching, the BB/K will remain stellar. And the fringe average speed part I don't get. Rengifo can motor. He isn't blazing fast but he's clearly well above average. He says he's a good runner based on instincts rather than speed, and I've observed the exact opposite so far. He succeeds because he's fast, but he doesn't pick his spots well. Not instinctual to me.

The defensive report is exactly what I've observed, but rather than trying to make myself sound smart, I like to put it in terms that everyone can understand that's easy to read. Meaning, he's a good defensive second baseman and a below average defensive SS. Can probably play 3B just fine.

Comparing him with Segura, Jean was a better athlete with a stronger trunk. I thought Segura had no hope at staying at SS thus deep into his career because I figured those thick legs would make him immobile. 

But I was wrong, they're just strong and it makes Segura fast.

I think the biggest thing this guy missed on with Rengifo was his aggressive play. He doesn't take a single pitch off. He's aggressive on defensive, when he swings, its aggressive, not passive or placement based, and when he's on the bases he creates chaos. They know he isn't afraid of being thrown out and do everyone is on a state of alert. Even as a viewer I can see that because anytime he's on, he's doing something.

The end result is a floor utility type, a ceiling of borderline star middle infielder and a likely result of a solid starting middle infielder.

Thr only problem is, I'm not convinced that happens in an Angels uniform. Fletcher, Cozart, Simmons, Ward, Jahmai Jones all play the same spots advanced Rengifo. He'll need to unseat quite a few good players to get that opportunity for the Angels. 

So unless they get rid of Cozart or Ward, I think Rengifo ends up as trade bait.

The scouting reports are nice and all, but at the end of the day, perhaps his performance ought to be given more consideration. Across three levels - where he has ranged from young for the league to very young - he has put up a .915 OPS. He has hit for average, some moderate power, and has demonstrated excellent plate discipline. Scouting reports once said Trout might hit 15 homeruns. 

Let's see what Rengifo can do at the bigs. Trade Kinsler, call up Rengifo, and give him 200 plate appearances. See if he can be counted on to help next year. 

3 hours ago, wopphil said:

The scouting reports are nice and all, but at the end of the day, perhaps his performance ought to be given more consideration. Across three levels - where he has ranged from young for the league to very young - he has put up a .915 OPS. He has hit for average, some moderate power, and has demonstrated excellent plate discipline. Scouting reports once said Trout might hit 15 homeruns. 

Let's see what Rengifo can do at the bigs. Trade Kinsler, call up Rengifo, and give him 200 plate appearances. See if he can be counted on to help next year. 

I agree!

3 hours ago, wopphil said:

Come September, let's see what they all can do.  Rengifo, Ward, Thaiss, Fletcher, Hermosillo, Fernandez.....

Get them in the lineup on a consistent basis.  If nothing else, it'll give them a small taste of the adjustments they'll need to make if they want to succeed in the majors and it'll allow the Angels to gauge a little on the prospective 2019 roster.  Every single one of those guys is capable of hitting major league pitching if they make the proper adjustments. 

Don't guarantee a roster spot to any position player outside of Trout, Ohtani, Simmons and Upton. 

Don't get me wrong, I love this new and improved Kole Calhoun, but before I'm comfortable going with him next year, I'd need to know that we won't have to go through another April, May June slump that completely torpedoes the offense.