• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Any idea how Rengifo looks defensively?  Can he stick at SS?

he looks fairly natural there with good range in my limited sample of seeing him. I've seen him make a couple of errors on plays that were a little tough but ones that a SS should make.  Hard to say for sure, but he seems to pass the eye test.  

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

he looks fairly natural there with good range in my limited sample of seeing him. I've seen him make a couple of errors on plays that were a little tough but ones that a SS should make.  Hard to say for sure, but he seems to pass the eye test.  

Cool, great to hear, thanks man.

I think most people here are completely aware of this, but in case any aren't....

Both Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh are hitting for as much, if not more power in Burlington, at a higher level, than they did in Orem, an extreme hitters park and league.

They were both young for the Pioneer League, and they're still very young for A Ball.

The biggest difference is that both Adell and Marsh are both showing increased plate discipline. They are advancing at a faster pace than the Angels are advancing them! And that's simply as a 19 and 20 year old kid.

Their ultimate outcome is what should excite folks.

Adell's power is already off the charts for a 19 year old, but as he gets older, this tool will develop. He could legitimately be a 30+ HR hitter every year. And his speed is already 70+ grade. It's cold and the Angels have handled him with kiddy gloves so far. But once it warms up, he'll be running. In the major leagues, he could also steal 30+ bases.

Marsh is already 6'4 and starting to be built like an NFL wide receiver. He has natural loft in his swing and very fluid, easy power haven't resulted in game time HR's the way that they will when he's older. His power isn't the raw, bat speed type that Adell's is, but it could result in more HR's, particularly if the Angels keep the yellow line in RF. And while his speed isn't the sprinter's type that Adell's is, Marsh should have little issue swiping 20+ bases a year.

If these two make good on their potential while Trout is in his prime, it could be the most productive, homegrown outfield any of us will ever see in our lifetimes at Angel Stadium. Even better than Edmonds, Salmon, GA and Erstad, which is a very difficult concept to process because those guys became legends among turn of the century Angels fans that had endured the 90's.

2 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Marsh made it to the top 100!!!!!!! yeah!!!!!!!! i think canning is next in line, could potentially have 5 in top 100 by mid-season and at-least one of Crod, Soriano and Deveaux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see for Marsh!  I think mid-season though, we might see Maitan drop off if he doesn't start playing/producing.  Ohtani graduated and is no longer on the list.  I think it's extremely unlikely we see Soriano or Deveaux on the list by mid-season.  Rodriguez is unlikely either, as he hasn't pitched yet due to injury.  Doesn't dim his long-term prospects at all, but just think it's unlikely he's considered a top 100 MLB prospect (by MLB pipeline, which is who I am guessing you are referring to) by midseason.

My guess is at midseason, the following will be considered top 100 prospects:  Adell, Marsh, Canning, Jones, and maybe Suarez.  Maitin drops off amidst concerns of his development.  

Thoughts  on Ward and Thasis? 

Ward look like he's a potential 3rd-baseman up at the show.

If i were to redo his scouting report grades based on offense, I'll give him the following:

Hits: 55 Power: 50 Patience: 65 Speed: 45 (50)

Comp: David Freese, but with better patience 

Thasis I'm not sure what to think about, i've heard he squaring up the ball more but also striking-out more.

Comp: Logan Morrison or a Lucus Duda.

Ward has done so well that I think it's hard for everyone to buy it.  It's almost like if he were doing just doing well but not incredible, there'd be more buzz.  Is he really that good of a hitter?  Right now everyone is just waiting to find out how long he can sustain this.  

Thaiss has looked good.  Nice xbh power which could eventually turn into more hrs.  I was concerned about last years .395 slg % but he's clearly turned a corner in that department.  K rate up some and BB rate down a bit but still good.  Duda is a good comp.  Morrison has more power.  

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Marsh made it to the top 100!!!!!!! yeah!!!!!!!! i think canning is next in line, could potentially have 5 in top 100 by mid-season and at-least one of Crod, Soriano and Deveaux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canning and Barria should be top 100 as well.  But Maitan shouldn't.  They also took Ohtani off the list.  And it's true that guys like Deveaux, CRod, Soriano could bump up there before years end as well.  Plus, we've got the 16th pick in the draft which could net us another top 100 type player.  

For whatever reason, Zach Houchins got moved to AA even though he was doing well in AAA with an .877 ops.  He is making his first ever start in the OF, so maybe that has something to do with it.  Playing RF for mobile with a 3b in his first two AB.  

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

OK, then: making room for Calhoun?! Not really as they would likely DL him first, but you never know....

God, at this point, I really hope so but doubt it.  I have seen extended struggles, but to maintain a sub-400 OPS after 1.5 months of consistent playing time is.. I mean, that's even sub Danny Espinoza levels of production at this point. 

Maybe Ward gets the call, but you've got Schimpf, JMF, Fletcher, Cowart, Fontana, and Sherm grabbing time at 2b, SS, and 3b.  If one of those guys gets a call to the big club, then it improves his chances.  

personally, I hope JMF gets the call, but I don't see him having a window.  

On 5/11/2018 at 4:58 PM, Inside Pitch said:

@Scotty@AW

Dude....   I know you have your sources within the organization.. we need you to do some digging.   

Across the board we are seeing a lot of guys make some serious strides developmentally -- not so much referring to guys adding some ticks to their velo or any of the tools sort of thing but in the way they actually play and perform..   You need to ask your boys what has changed development wise... because something has changed or the Angels are just suddenly extremely lucky...  Its sorta goofy seeing how many different players are showing rapid improvement..

WTF is up...

I mean, I can ask but the answer would likely be quite nebulous.  There are probably a hundred different things they are doing differently.  But I will say this.....when Servais left with Dipoto, Eppler hired Matt Swanson from the Cardinals to head up our farm system, it was a pretty savvy move, and surprising that he took on the role.  Swanson is seen as a future GM and is said to be one of the chief proponents of a mysterious document that the Cardinals followed to a T called "The Cardinal Way."  It's curious why he'd make more of a literal move to a barren farm system, when in a year or two he likely would've been an AGM and possibly interviewing for GM positions.  There could be a hundred different reasons why he accepted the job, but I think the vast turnaround in the performance of our prospects will be the evidence of the necessary changes he's made and lend credence to the idea that Swanson really knows what he's doing.   Eppler's comments on The Cardinal Way have been brief and he doesn't offer much input on it other than he's seen it (I guess it was leaked).  But at any rate, I think Swanson is a BIG reason for the farm system's turnaround.  It's Eppler who is bringing in the right prospects and right coaches/coordinators, but I think it's Swanson who has really changed the way the organization does things on the farm from the bottom up.  I think he's played a big part in changing the culture down there. 

It isn't something we as fans really see a lot of, but other organizations definitely know who Matt Swanson is. 

And this is all my logic.  There could be very little truth to any of this, but this is what feels accurate to me. 

Oh.....and Matt Swanson is a believer and follower of Christ.  So since we're the Angels, why don't we just chalk the improvement up to God too. 

Nice blurb on Rojas from BA:

HELIUM

Jose Rojas, 3B
The Angels drafted the Anaheim-born Rojas in the 36th round in 2016 out of NAIA Vanguard University, located just 12 miles from Angel Stadium. Since entering pro ball, the hometown kid has proven to be much more than an organizational filler. Rojas was a California League All-Star in his first pro season last year, including beating Josh Naylor in the semifinals of the Home Run Derby, and is off to a .364/.485/.618 start at Double-A this year, which includes hitting for the cycle on Saturday. Slightly plump at 6 foot, 200 pounds, Rojas does everything well. He is a solid-average defender at third base with enough arm for the position, has the footwork and athleticism to handle second base and can downright hit. He has a gap approach with excellent feel to hit from the left side, and he can drop the barrel for some long home runs with the best of them. Evaluators see Rojas as a big leaguer who can stick on a bench as a lefthanded utilityman, a heck of an outcome for the 1,086th player picked in his draft. If Rojas can live up to that projection, he would become the first position player from Vanguard to ever play in the majors.

Rojas has been solid at the plate since being drafted two years ago, and now has added plate discipline to his strengths (13 BBs in 59 at bats).

Doesn't hurt either that he's a LHH.   Five SB's in 18 games must mean that he's got good base running instincts and surprising speed?

ETA = mid-2019?

Since David Hernandez' name is popping up because of the Middleton news, I thought it was ironic that our trade return for him is pitching tonight in Burlington.

On the season...

6 GS, 2.88 ERA, 25 IP, 6 BB, 19 K, 1 HRA, 22 hits allowed. Still only 21, 6'3", 175.

Just now, rafibomb said:

Can't believe he fell to us in the 2nd round. Our best pitching prospect since Weaver.

Dude looks like a stud.  Still has to continue to work on his command, but the stuff is undeniable.  They're managing his innings and pitch county closely (typically around 75-80 pitches per game).  He could be an option for us out of the pen if September.  Who knows?  He could be a key contributor for us in October out of the pen.