• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Top 30 Prospects Version 3.0

Second Base

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Anyway they move Thaiss back to Catcher? Those offensive numbers would be great from a catcher.

I highly doubt it. With how particular this org is with catchers, it'd basically bump him back two years, and pretty much the biggest reason he has prospect value is because he was someone who would (and has) move through the system quickly.

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

so let's ask the nickle question.  Who are you most comfortable trading away?

or I guess I should ask it the other way.  Who do you absolutely want to keep?  

Of course Ohtani doesn't count because he's not going anywhere.  I really want to hang on to Marsh and Chris Rodriguez.  

The way I order my list is mostly based on that question - that is, in order of who I'd most like to keep. It might differ slightly based upon depth a specific position. 

bG4yCDw4_bigger.jpeg MLB PipelineVerified account @MLBPipeline

With #Angels selecting RHP Luke Bard from #MNTwins in Rule 5 Draft, here's where he enters the @Angels' Top 30 Prospects list: http://atmlb.com/2mmBUjj

cut.jpg

Luke Bard | Rank: 19 (Preseason: NR)

Team: Los Angeles Angels ETA: 2018 Position: RHP Age: 27 DOB: 11/13/1990 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6' 3" Weight: 202 lb. Drafted: 2012, 1st Sup (42) - LAA

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

Bard has long had the stuff to be considered a top prospect, but had trouble staying healthy enough to show he can use those tools to be an effective pitcher. After missing the entire 2014 season, Bard then largely stayed on the mound over the next three seasons, reaching Triple-A in 2017. The Twins left him unprotected and the Angels nabbed him in the Rule 5 Draft.

Bard -- the younger brother of Daniel Bard -- has an outstanding fastball thrown around 94 mph that has plus heaviness and angle, leading to ground-ball outs. He complements the fastball with an outstanding slider, a power mid-80s breaking ball. Bard wasn't able to log a ton of innings early on in his career, but has compiled at least 50 innings in 2015-17.

Bard had starter stuff, but the injury concerns pushed him to the bullpen, where he has stuck to his two power pitches which have led to high strikeout rates. He'll be given every chance to stick in the big leagues as an

Bard's a sneaky good pickup.  He might amount to nothing, but that K rate is undeniably spectacular, even if it was just in AA/AAA.  Moreover, given his age and exposure to AAA, there's a decent chance he's "ready" and we can get him to stick with the big league club.  Eppler has been robust at finding diamond in the rough relievers, and this guy could very well be the next one.

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2017 at 11:56 AM, Scotty@AW said:

Hopefully the final version we need to release this offseason. 

1. RHP/DH Shohei Ohtani - MLB (23)
  2. OF Jo Adell - Rookie Ball (18)
  3. OF Jahmai Jones - Advanced A Ball (20)
  4. OF Brandon Marsh - Rookie Ball (19)
  5. SS Kevin Maitan - Rookie Ball (17)
  6. RHP Jaime Barria - AAA (20)
  7. RHP Griffin Canning - DNP (21)
  8. 1B Matt Thaiss - AA (22)
  9. RHP Chris Rodriguez - A Ball (18)
  10. OF Michael Hermosillo - AAA (22)
  11. OF Trent Deveaux - DNP (17)
  12. C Taylor Ward - AA (23)
  13. IF Leo Rivas - A Ball (19)
  14. RHP Jesus Castillo - AA (21)
  15. IF David Fletcher - AAA (23)
  16. RHP Jake Jewell - AA (24)
  17. SS Livan Soto - Rookie Ball (17)
  18. RHP Jose Soriano - Rookie Ball (18)
  19. LHP Jose Suarez - A Ball (19)
  20. OF Brennon Lund - AA (22)
  21. RHP Eduardo Paredes - MLB (22)
  22. RHP Cole Duensing  - Rookie Ball (19)
  23. IF Nonie Williams - Rookie Ball (19)
  24. OF D'Shawn Knowles - DNP (16)
  25. OF Torii Hunter Jr. - Rookie Ball (22)
  26. OF Troy Montgomery - AA (22)
  27. RHP Luis Pena - AA (21)
  28. IF Julio Garcia - Rookie Ball (19)
  29. LHP Jerryell Rivera - Rookie Ball (18)
  30. RHP Joe Gatto - Advanced A Ball (21)

With all of the other prospect lists coming out now, here is our list for comparison. I don't recall if we ever officially ranked Bard in our list. I would place him at 20 if we did and would drop everyone else down 1 slot. 

55 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

With all of the other prospect lists coming out now, here is our list for comparison. I don't recall if we ever officially ranked Bard in our list. I would place him at 20 if we did and would drop everyone else down 1 slot. 

we also traded montgomery.  maybe just exchange the two.  

Okay, trying to update it now for version 4.0

1. RHP/DH Shohei Ohtani - MLB (23)
  2. OF Jo Adell - Rookie Ball (18)
  3. OF Jahmai Jones - Advanced A Ball (20)
  4. OF Brandon Marsh - Rookie Ball (19)
  5. SS Kevin Maitan - Rookie Ball (17)
  6. RHP Jaime Barria - AAA (20)
  7. RHP Griffin Canning - DNP (21)
  8. 1B Matt Thaiss - AA (22)
  9. RHP Chris Rodriguez - A Ball (18)
  10. OF Michael Hermosillo - AAA (22)
  11. OF Trent Deveaux - DNP (17)
  12. C Taylor Ward - AA (23)
  13. IF Leo Rivas - A Ball (19)
  14. RHP Jesus Castillo - AA (21)
  15. IF David Fletcher - AAA (23)
  16. RHP Jake Jewell - AA (24)
  17. SS Livan Soto - Rookie Ball (17)
  18. RHP Jose Soriano - Rookie Ball (18)
  19. LHP Jose Suarez - A Ball (19)
  20. RHP Luke Bard - AAA (27)
  21. OF Brennon Lund - AA (22)
  22. RHP Eduardo Paredes - MLB (22)
  23. RHP Cole Duensing  - Rookie Ball (19)
  24. IF Nonie Williams - Rookie Ball (19)
  25. OF D'Shawn Knowles - DNP (16)
  26. OF Torii Hunter Jr. - Rookie Ball (22)
  27. RHP Luis Pena - AA (21)
  28. IF Julio Garcia - Rookie Ball (19)
  29. LHP Jerryell Rivera - Rookie Ball (18)
  30. RHP Joe Gatto - Advanced A Ball (21)

On 12/9/2017 at 1:20 PM, Dtwncbad said:

Well except you can always find an example of a player in the past to fit a narrative.

I am not pulling against this guy.  Just saying I haven't seen anything yet that justifies his draft spot, and I am starting to notice the relationship between age and level mastered isn't really very impressive.

Will he be a major leaguer?  Yes likely.

Will he ever be someone you are not trying to upgrade from?  Questionable.

Have you even seen him to play? You stated that “you haven’t seen anything yet that justifies his draft spot.”  Have you seen him or any other prospect actually play? Or are you relying on stats, numbers, opinions, and highlights that other post and share? 

55 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

Have you even seen him to play? You stated that “you haven’t seen anything yet that justifies his draft spot.”  Have you seen him or any other prospect actually play? Or are you relying on stats, numbers, opinions, and highlights that other post and share? 

I am not now, and have never been, a professional scout.

My comment and perspective comes from a fan following prospects.

Why I have to clarify that is somewhat puzzling.

But let me guess.  You have seen him play right?  Well then you opinion of him means so, so much more than mine.

To you.

37 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am not now, and have never been, a professional scout.

My comment and perspective comes from a fan following prospects.

Why I have to clarify that is somewhat puzzling.

But let me guess.  You have seen him play right?  Well then you opinion of him means so, so much more than mine.

To you.

Ummmm. No need to get your panties all in a bunch there sir. I am just holding you accountable for what you say. That is all. 

6 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

Ummmm. No need to get your panties all in a bunch there sir. I am just holding you accountable for what you say. That is all. 

I apologize sincerely if that was not the road you were going down.  Lots of times somebody who happens to have seen a guy play twice comes into this type of conversation with that lead and then proceeds to tell everyone who hasnt seen the player play why their opinion is worthless.

If that's not the case here, I retract the attitude.

I said I am pulling for him.  I just think it wasn't a good pick where he was drafted.  What about that opinion needs to be policed (by another fan) for accountability? 

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I apologize sincerely if that was not the road you were going down.  Lots of times somebody who happens to have seen a guy play twice comes into this type of conversation with that lead and then proceeds to tell everyone who hasnt seen the player play why their opinion is worthless.

If that's not the case here, I retract the attitude.

I said I am pulling for him.  I just think it wasn't a good pick where he was drafted.  What about that opinion needs to be policed (by another fan) for accountability? 

It was not my intention to tell you that your opinion does not matter. In fact i think the opposite and I value yours and everyone else’s opinion. Because I actually agree with you that picking Ward in The first round was not the smartest move (excluding the potential reasons of slot value money and him signing for under so we had more slot pool money). I was literally just taking your wording and seeing if you meant exactly what you said.  It was an ass move of me and I apologize for being the word police. And I have never see ward play in person. 

27 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

It was not my intention to tell you that your opinion does not matter. In fact i think the opposite and I value yours and everyone else’s opinion. Because I actually agree with you that picking Ward in The first round was not the smartest move (excluding the potential reasons of slot value money and him signing for under so we had more slot pool money). I was literally just taking your wording and seeing if you meant exactly what you said.  It was an ass move of me and I apologize for being the word police. And I have never see ward play in person. 

It wasn't an ass move.  It is the product of two things:

1.  It is very hard to be clear when all we have are written words.

2. I can't erase all the years of being exposed to posters who have an agenda

The other two elements are:

My tolerance is low for people trying to shove a converation sideways and I am an over 50 crabby old man now.

And that's on me.

I watched Ward playing his first year with the 66ers where he was struggling every plate appearence to get the ball by a glove. It wasn't a dscipline problem, he drew walks but it seemed like there was a glove placed where ever the ball was headed. 

His defense, for the level he was playing, was well above his competition. He had an ability to catch borderline pitches without over playing the framing, getting a few more calls that way. His ability to fire down to second accurately was good but he needed a little more practice on footwork.

At high A he looked defensively ready to move to AA but his bat was dragging him down. The second half that started to come around and I missed out on seeing the last months due to work.

Once out of High A I don't get to see these guys play. You can pick out early who is ahead of the learning curve but that doesn't always translate as the talent is distilled at the higher level. Where Ward really is at in development now I have no idea. All I know is the guy I watched and talked to in High A seemed to be on track between the ears, which is probably the hardest game to win.