• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DH rules

Docwaukee

So I thought it was apropos to post baseball rule 5.11 for all to be aware of as it's going to be important come season time:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2015/official_baseball_rules.pdf

page 55.  

I didn't realize that you can only DH for the pitcher.  Not anyone else.  If Ohtani hits for himself, you forfeit the DH.  check it out.  

9 minutes ago, Dreams said:

According to Fletch..."In Japan, Ohtani did not hit on the days he pitched or in the days immediately before and after."

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/08/shoehi-ohtani-choses-angels-over-six-other-mlb-teams/

What he said ˄.

I think maybe he doesn't hit the game before, the day he pitches, and the day after. That gives him about 3 days of being the DH, and the rest of the time Pujols gets to DH, and Cron or Valbuena play 1B. We will have to wait and see how it works out but that's how he was used in Japan anyway.

32 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Right, this is why I said Ohtani made more sense for a national league team, because the DH actually negatively impacts his potential value. With us he will not be batting for himself when he pitches.

don't know if I agree.  We have inter league.  In the NL he has to play a position to get at bats.  Or he pinch hits.  He can still do that.  But the DH gets him half a season at DH if Albert can play 1b.  

19 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

don't know if I agree.  We have inter league.  In the NL he has to play a position to get at bats.  Or he pinch hits.  He can still do that.  But the DH gets him half a season at DH if Albert can play 1b.  

In the NL he'll get at bats when he pitches, and can DH in interleague games. In the AL he is going to have to hit the ground running and out hit Pujols and Cron to earn at bats. He could be the best hitting pitcher since Ruth and still be below replacement level with the bat in the lineup at DH.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

In the NL he'll get at bats when he pitches, and can DH in interleague games. In the AL he is going to have to hit the ground running and out hit Pujols and Cron to earn at bats. He could be the best hitting pitcher since Ruth and still be below replacement level with the bat in the lineup at DH.

That's a great point, him hitting in the pitching spot in the NL give the team a huge advantage. In the AL when he is the DH, not so much

1 hour ago, Dreams said:

According to Fletch..."In Japan, Ohtani did not hit on the days he pitched or in the days immediately before and after."

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/08/shoehi-ohtani-choses-angels-over-six-other-mlb-teams/

This gets back then to the rumors that he would hit in about half of the games, potentially.

That works, then Pujols and Valbuena get the other 243 starts at DH/1B and Cron can be dangled to acquire a relief pitcher or 2B/3B?