• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler's 2017-2018 Off-Season Transactions

ettin

was wondering why they haven't tried Lamb as a LOOGY or at least as a reliever.  Turns out his career splits vs. LHers is pretty awful.  

Interesting that the halos have brought him back yet again even after a pretty terrible year and a suspension.  Makes me think that they've been monitoring him during the off season or had him working on some very particular things that if it went well, they would bring him back.  Sure seems like his last chance.  

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

was wondering why they haven't tried Lamb as a LOOGY or at least as a reliever.  Turns out his career splits vs. LHers is pretty awful.  

Interesting that the halos have brought him back yet again even after a pretty terrible year and a suspension.  Makes me think that they've been monitoring him during the off season or had him working on some very particular things that if it went well, they would bring him back.  Sure seems like his last chance.  

His AAA season was a little mixed. Overall line looks terrible because he had some stinker starts, but had his moments. Sosh even singled him out as a potential SP in Sept. because he was throwing so well in AAA.

It'll be interesting to see how they situate everyone in AAA. Hermosillo in LF, EY3 in CF, Rymer Liriano in RF, Blash at DH, Chris Carter at 1B, Fernandez at 2B, Fletcher at SS, Walsh at 3B, Fontana somewhere in the mix....

Then at some point you figure they'll promote Thaiss and Ward. The figures to have Jaime Barria, Nick Tropeano, Jake Jewell, Osmer Morales, maybe Jesus Castillo at some point.

Good AAA squad.

59 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

It'll be interesting to see how they situate everyone in AAA. Hermosillo in LF, EY3 in CF, Rymer Liriano in RF, Blash at DH, Chris Carter at 1B, Fernandez at 2B, Fletcher at SS, Walsh at 3B, Fontana somewhere in the mix....

Then at some point you figure they'll promote Thaiss and Ward. The figures to have Jaime Barria, Nick Tropeano, Jake Jewell, Osmer Morales, maybe Jesus Castillo at some point.

Good AAA squad.

I like it. We finally have some pop in Triple A (Carter. Blash, Fernandez)

5 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Good AAA squad.

Hutchins could be in there too, as could Cowart. I'm thinking EYJr is probably 4th OF still....just now in AAA. Blash in LF, Herm in CF, Liriano in RF. 

I'm having a hard time seeing how Fontana, Carter, Walsh, Burris, Fletcher, Fernandez, Hutchins, and possibly Marte and Cowart fit at AAA. And Sherm is still in the org too, right?

Hutchins can go back to AA easily enough, but also leads credence to the thought that they expect to lose Marte to waivers or make the big league club, or for Cowart to make the club (or they really use that last spot on 25-man to shuffle between a 6th SP, extra reliever, or extra bench player series by series), or for Fontana to be on the 40-man bubble and also likely to be lost to waivers. 

Wouldnt be surprised if Liriano, Carter, Walsh, or Fernandez had opt-outs in their deals by end of May or so too. This is a pretty deep club.

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

Hutchins could be in there too, as could Cowart. I'm thinking EYJr is probably 4th OF still....just now in AAA. Blash in LF, Herm in CF, Liriano in RF. 

I'm having a hard time seeing how Fontana, Carter, Walsh, Burris, Fletcher, Fernandez, Hutchins, and possibly Marte and Cowart fit at AAA. And Sherm is still in the org too, right?

Hutchins can go back to AA easily enough, but also leads credence to the thought that they expect to lose Marte to waivers or make the big league club, or for Cowart to make the club (or they really use that last spot on 25-man to shuffle between a 6th SP, extra reliever, or extra bench player series by series), or for Fontana to be on the 40-man bubble and also likely to be lost to waivers. 

Wouldnt be surprised if Liriano, Carter, Walsh, or Fernandez had opt-outs in their deals by end of May or so too. This is a pretty deep club.

Totally forgot about Houchins! With the way he hit in AAA last year, they better keep him in Salt Lake.

Just my guess, but here's what I have. I'm basing this off of the guess that Cowart will get the final bench spot, and Jefry Marte clears waivers and elects FA. Both of these guesses are made with zero confidence.

1B - Chris Carter

2B - Jose Miguel Fernandez 

SS - David Fletcher

3B - Zach Houchins

UT - Colin Walsh, maybe Nolan Fontana.

OF - EY3

OF - Michael Hermosillo

OF -  Rymer Liriano 

DH - Jabari Blash

13 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Good AAA squad.

Much better than earlier this decade 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I see what you did there ... 

Actually I have to admit that was an accidental pun (I am actually known for this behavior though, it could be subconscious creativity in action). :D

On 12/5/2017 at 7:25 PM, ettin said:

Thought I'd make a separate thread tracking Eppler's moves this off-season so that we can reflect on it at a later date. If you see an inaccuracy let me know in the thread and I'll modify it if incorrect:

• Signed prospect RHP Juan Contreras for $1.2M from our 2018 International Bonus Pool money nothing.

"Contreras signed with the Angels after the Major League Baseball-imposed Jan. 15 deadline, thus receiving no additional bonus on top of the $1.2 million deal he signed with Atlanta in 2016.'

https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/minor-league-transactions-feb-23-march-2-2018/

Looool Eppler can you do this job any better?

So the deal was basically Justin Kelly for Jim Johnson, Kevin Maitan, Livan Soto, Juan Contreras, and Ohtanibucks.

At this point, it's comical. He could still get more out of it too, by signing one of the remaining Braves prospects for free in a similar arrangement, or flipping Johnson for a prospect midseason.

It has certainly been a "fan friendly" offseason for the Angels.

This team was very close to making the playoffs last year, without Richards, Heaney and Tropeano. Without Shoe for the majority of the year and without Skaggs for long stretches of time, and without him performing up to his ability either.

The mere fact that almost our entire pitching staff is healthy again would be cause for optimism. This could be a playoff team without any further additions.

But fans like to see additions. They like to see their teams trying to improve, and they get upset when they don't (as evidenced by the general distaste for the Rays, Pirates and A's offseason).

But Eppler landed Ohtani, brought Upton, Kinsler, Cozart and Young into the fold too. He also landed Kevin Maitan, Livan Soto and Juan Contreras. He further supported the roster by adding guys like Colin Walsh and Jose Miguel Fernandez.

The improvement in the roster is tangible. 

On 2/22/2018 at 10:58 AM, Scotty@AW said:

Just my guess, but here's what I have. I'm basing this off of the guess that Cowart will get the final bench spot, and Jefry Marte clears waivers and elects FA. Both of these guesses are made with zero confidence.

1B - Chris Carter

2B - Jose Miguel Fernandez 

SS - David Fletcher

3B - Zach Houchins

UT - Colin Walsh, maybe Nolan Fontana.

OF - EY3

OF - Michael Hermosillo

OF -  Rymer Liriano 

DH - Jabari Blash

So Thaiss goes to AA?

On March 5, 2018 at 6:45 AM, Scotty@AW said:

I notice that he improves each time he faces a level for the second time. So he probably hasn't topped out yet.

For his/our sake, let's hope not. He'll be 29 in August and has spent 1 day in the majors and it was ugly. (with apologies to ugly)