• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Shohei Ohtani: 5 things to know about the Japanese star

The Angels and Dodgers are now both confirmed to be set for face-to-face meetings with Shohei Ohtani this week in Southern California, the next step in the pursuit of the Japanese superstar.

The Padres, Seattle Mariners, San Francisco Giants, Texas Rangers and Chicago Cubs round out the final seven, with the other 23 teams eliminated.

Ohtani, 23, is expected to meet with representatives of the seven teams this week, likely with visits to their cities coming later in the process. He has to make a decision by Dec. 22.

As the baseball world watches the situation unfold, here are answers to some of your most popular questions:

How much money can teams offer?

Because Ohtani falls under baseball’s international signing limits, his potential bonus is a relatively insignificant sum. The Rangers can offer the most, $3.535 million, followed by the Mariners ($1.55 million) and Angels ($1.315 million). The Dodgers, Padres, Cubs and Giants are all limited to $300,000, a penalty for exceeding their pool in recent years. The up-front cost to whichever team signs Ohtani will be his bonus plus a $20 million posting fee to the Nippon Ham Fighters.

What about Ohtani’s salary in 2018 and beyond?

Ohtani has to be signed to a minor league deal. When he’s initially added to the 40-man roster next season, he’ll make the major league minimum of $555,000. He’ll have three years in which he can be optioned, just like any other rookie. He won’t be eligible for arbitration until after his third season, at the earliest, and for free agency until after his sixth. If he performs as expected in his first year, it’s likely his team will offer him some sort of multi-year deal long before he’s eligible for free agency. That could be anything from a five-year deal taking him through arbitration to a 10-year, $200-million deal going into free agency. Teams are strictly prohibited from making any sort of promises to him about future payments during the period before he signs, though.

Is he a really a great pitcher and a great hitter?

The industry seems to value him primarily as a pitcher. He is a right-hander who throws 100 mph. In parts of five seasons in Japan’s major leagues, he has a 2.52 ERA with 624 strikeouts in 543 innings. The 200 walks may be an issue, though.

A left-handed hitter, he’s hit .286 with an .859 OPS and 48 homers in 1,170 plate appearances. There is some skepticism that he can hit at an impact level in the majors.

How did he split the roles in Japan?

He didn’t hit on the days that he pitched, or the days immediately before or after. That limited his plate appearances to a maximum of 382 in a season. He averaged a little more than 200 plate appearances per season. He also got all of his at-bats in the past three years as a designated hitter or pinch hitter. He has played only 62 games in the outfield in five years, none since 2014. He has not played any other positions in games in Japan.

So how does that work in the majors?

Obviously, the three American League teams would most likely use Ohtani in the same way, DHing him on two or three days a week, when he’s not pitching. In the Angels’ case, general manager Billy Eppler has said Albert Pujols is expected to be healthy enough to play more first base in 2018, which would open some DH opportunities for Ohtani.

In the National League, he’ll obviously get to hit on the days he pitches — again, something he preferred not to do in Japan — but it will be complicated to get him regular at-bats otherwise. Considering how infrequently he played the field in Japan, it would seem to be a lot to ask for him to adjust to that, while adjusting to everything else, in the majors. It would also increase his risk of injury.

The advantage for National League teams, however, is he’s guaranteed to get some at-bats when he pitches, whereas an AL team could just give up on him hitting if it doesn’t work out initially.

View the full article

Good info by @Jeff Fletcher as usual.  

It makes me think that it makes sense for the Angels to trade for Dee Gordon this week and some of their international money.  This Marlins blog believes the Marlins would be willing to do so.  So the Angels can get Gordon which solves the 2B/lead off issue and they can add to that international money to sign Ohtani.

Marlins Blog:

https://www.fishstripes.com/2017/12/4/16733590/mlb-trade-rumors-the-angels-now-have-additional-incentive-to-trade-for-dee-gordon

22 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

It makes me think that it makes sense for the Angels to trade for Dee Gordon this week and some of their international money.  This Marlins blog believes the Marlins would be willing to do so.  So the Angels can get Gordon which solves the 2B/lead off issue and they can add to that international money to sign Ohtani.

Marlins Blog:

https://www.fishstripes.com/2017/12/4/16733590/mlb-trade-rumors-the-angels-now-have-additional-incentive-to-trade-for-dee-gordon

I just read the dee gordon article about an hour ago. Makes some sense.

22 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Marlins Blog:

I'm not convinced that it makes a difference. Ohtani already picked 4 of his 7 finalists as teams that can't give him more than $300K, and he eliminated the team with the second most money. I just don't believe that if he wants to go someplace, he'd pick somewhere else to get an extra million bucks.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I'm not convinced that it makes a difference. Ohtani already picked 4 of his 7 finalists as teams that can't give him more than $300K, and he eliminated the team with the second most money. I just don't believe that if he wants to go someplace, he'd pick somewhere else to get an extra million bucks.

Perhaps getting a little extra money really leaves an impression on him that the Angels want him badly and are willing to go the extra mile to make sure he's taken care of.  Yeah I know all of the other 6 teams want him badly too, but in real life, it's always nice to see how much someone likes you. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

But if he narrows it down to two teams he likes, it wouldn't hurt being the team that can offer more money.  And of course, Gordon also solves the 2B/lead off issue.

2 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

But if he narrows it down to two teams he likes, it wouldn't hurt being the team that can offer more money.  And of course, Gordon also solves the 2B/lead off issue.

I'd still take Hernandez over Gordon as that would give us far more flexibility in other positions. Such as using that money to sign someone like Cobb or Lynn.

A pitching staff or

Ohtani

Richards

Cobb/Lynn

Heaney/Skaggs/Shoe

Bridwell

is more than capable with the lineup being put together.

3 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I'd still take Hernandez over Gordon as that would give us far more flexibility in other positions. Such as using that money to sign someone like Cobb or Lynn.

A pitching staff or

Ohtani

Richards

Cobb/Lynn

Heaney/Skaggs/Shoe

Bridwell

is more than capable with the lineup being put together.

If the Angels got Ohtani, I don't think they'll get another SP.

5 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think it would be really ironic if the Angels end up signing him for only 300k of their 1.5 million, and used the rest on Maitan.

Ha I was thinking that as well! But even if they give all of that money to Ohtani if they like any of the Braves guys enough they can always just use next years money. Then hopefully acquire more at some point to replenish that. 

13 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You can never have enough pitching, but ultimately I agree with you. I just think they would be wise to put more resources into pitching.

I agree with that.  Pitching should always be priority number one.  For the record, Hernandez is my #1 choice for 2B, but if getting Gordon and more importantly, more international money to obtain Ohtani, I think that makes it worth it.

28 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I'm with Jeff on this one.  I don't see how the international money makes a difference.  It's a drop in the bucket compared to what he will be making in the long run.  The only team that sticks out here is the Rangers, and I can't see him going there although I have to admit that Darvish did it (maybe that's a reason he shouldn't go there, he will constantly be compared to Darvish).  In Seattle he will constantly be compared to Ichiro (I hate Dipoto, so Mariners please be out on this one).  It comes down to people, who does he best trust in the organization, and who does he get to play with, or want to play with.  It would be nice if the Angels could schedule a little time with a few select players, maybe over lunch (Trout, Richards, Pujols, Simmons, Maldonado).  He has said he doesn't want to necessarily be with a big market team (Dodgers), but I don't think he wants to be with a smaller market team with a questionable ability to win consistently either (San Diego).  Am I narrowing it down for him?  It might also be an advantage to be the last stop, that's the one that might stick more in his mind while deciding.  Oh, and clean up the damn stadium, hopefully they are not practicing off road truck racing (LOL).  

A goal of Eppler's since day 1 was to rebuild the farm, which I was skeptical of, especially after trading away Ellis and Newcomb.

But to his credit he has. And from what I'm told, they are very fond of Jahmai Jones, who just so happens to be basically what the Phillies are looking for (and more) if they trade Hernandez.

I find it much more likely the Angels will hold onto their elite prospects (Adell, Jones, Marsh, Canning and Barria) and instead pursue a 2B target that would cost less in prospects but require taking on more payroll, like Dee Gordon or Jason Kipnis.

As for the Angels acquiring more international spending money....doubtful. It Durant appear money is a motivating factor for Ohtani. But if they are enamored with someone like Maitan, I suppose I could see it happening.