• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Northern California shooting

It's in the thoughts and prayers thread but you are right, the School went on immediate lockdown and kept the guy out. I worry about my wife in these situations because she would be a human shield if it ever took place on her campus. Every school year she goes through how the kids are to hide in the classroom or where to go if they are on the playground. We never once had this drill growing up, it was all about hiding under the desk in case of a nuclear attack.

A woman, who identified herself as Neal's mother, told the Associated Press news agency that Neal called her before the attack and said: "I'm on a cliff and there's nowhere to go."

She said Neal was in a long-running dispute with neighbours who he believed were cooking methamphetamine.

She added that Neal, who was raised in North Carolina, had been working as a cannabis farmer and had recently married his long-time girlfriend.

This is not a subtle detail to leave out of the story. I found it on the BBC news service but not on any of the stories posted here. 

So we have this deranged guy that is growing pot in a dispute with his neighbors he claimed were meth dealers. Add in a lifetime of anger issues, an enabling mother, some ilegally obtained guns and a police force that just wasn't going to search his house after an arrest for knifing a neighbor, and people are shocked something happened.

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

It's in the thoughts and prayers thread but you are right, the School went on immediate lockdown and kept the guy out. I worry about my wife in these situations because she would be a human shield if it ever took place on her campus. Every school year she goes through how the kids are to hide in the classroom or where to go if they are on the playground. We never once had this drill growing up, it was all about hiding under the desk in case of a nuclear attack.

yep, we have to plan for it, also, ever since sandy hook.

the problem is that our classrooms weren't designed for anything remotely like this so there really aren't very good places to shelter. we also have doors made out of something just a notch above balsa wood, so if someone really wants to come it, the deadbolt isn't going to stop him. i've already run through a lot of nightmarish scenes in my head on steps i'll need to take to protect the kids, and none of them end terribly well for me. but i think i'm prepared to act when needed, and hoping like mad it'll never come down to that.

I absolutely agree.  This was close to home for me, literally and figuratively.  Living in a rural area you sometimes feel like "it won't happen here".  As dumb as that is. 

Our schools (1 kid in high school, another in elementary) are introducing the "alice" program, which is teaching kids, teachers, administrators to do more than sit and wait to be targets.  Sobering to think about the possibility of your 7 year old being confronted with such a situation.