• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

C.J. Cron

ettin

Cron from 7/10 to 8/10:

Capture.PNG

Impressive run. The strike to walk ratio seems unsustainable (in comparison to his BABIP) but that ISO is massive. Muscling his way to victory. We need it.

Congrats to C.J. for stepping it up and making it interesting!

Edited by ettin

15 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

He had a pretty good year last year but the FO didn't show faith in him as an every day player. He's proving them wrong right now. I hope he keeps it up because he is an extremely important piece to our line up down the stretch.

He has this kind of run every season..... How is this any different?

22 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

He had a pretty good year last year but the FO didn't show faith in him as an every day player. He's proving them wrong right now. I hope he keeps it up because he is an extremely important piece to our line up down the stretch.

To be fair he did well against RHP and regressed even worse against LHP so he looked more like a strong-side platoon bat last year rather than the complete player he has looked like over the last month or two. I think Cron is the one who has to prove he can be the everyday guy here by improving against LHP which he has done this year. In fact the last three years he got progressively worse against LHP so I don't fault the Front Office for doubting him when he wasn't showing them any improvement.

All that being said I'm like Nando I was worried we would never see this version of Cron and am happy that he is finally showing it to the team.

8 minutes ago, ettin said:

To be fair he did well against RHP and regressed even worse against LHP so he looked more like a strong-side platoon bat last year rather than the complete player he has looked like over the last month or two. I think Cron is the one who has to prove he can be the everyday guy here by improving against LHP which he has done this year. In fact the last three years he got progressively worse against LHP so I don't fault the Front Office for doubting him when he wasn't showing them any improvement.

All that being said I'm like Nando I was worried we would never see this version of Cron and am happy that he is finally showing it to the team.

Exactly, I love it!!!! It just makes me nuts when I see the guy, his ability, and it seems. He just forgets everything for weeks at a time. And shows little or no adjustments during that period. And just wastes ab's because he knows no better sometimes. It's frustrating! I get it. I understand it. The game is hard enough. But, as a player you need to be consistent across a full season. 

Which has got us in trouble with others previously not just CJ. Only to watch them go elsewhere and suddenly they just get it?.... That makes me rethink the whole hitting philosophy and how it is presented to the young power hitters we have come up and how they then implement it into their ab's.... And what is then communicated to them on it.

IT's easy to say great AB turn the page don't take it to the next one..... Being able to do it on the other hand is the frustrating part as a player. Who wants to succeed.

C.J. has always been a very streaky hitter, even going back to when he was first drafted.  Some guys are just hills and valley types.  You can still be a good player (Justin Upton, Torii Hunter, Mark Teixeira) while being streaky, it's just a bit more difficult to do. 

On a year by year basis, we do not get a full view of who C.J. is as a player, but I think by now, we can cumulatively look at what he's done and see who he would be in a full time role. 

If we take last year and this year and smash them together you have 170 games (we'll adjust the numbers to make them project over 150 instead).  Right now you're looking at a player that will hit .270/.320 30 DB 22 HR.

Great numbers for a 2B, 3B, SS or C.  Not the best numbers for a 1B or OF.

I fully expect C.J. to be traded this offseason.  It sucks because there's a flu of decent hitting 1B available in free agency and the market is flooded with power hitters with MLB tinkering with he ball this year.  So our return for C.J. will be practically nothing.  But the Angels need to upgrade at 1B and if they do, Cron will just get splinters. 

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

C.J. has always been a very streaky hitter, even going back to when he was first drafted.  Some guys are just hills and valley types.  You can still be a good player (Justin Upton, Torii Hunter, Mark Teixeira) while being streaky, it's just a bit more difficult to do. 

On a year by year basis, we do not get a full view of who C.J. is as a player, but I think by now, we can cumulatively look at what he's done and see who he would be in a full time role. 

If we take last year and this year and smash them together you have 170 games (we'll adjust the numbers to make them project over 150 instead).  Right now you're looking at a player that will hit .270/.320 30 DB 22 HR.

I fully expect C.J. to be traded this offseason.  It sucks because there's a flu of decent hitting 1B available in free agency and the market is flooded with power hitters with MLB tinkering with he ball this year.  So our return for C.J. will be practically nothing.  But the Angels need to upgrade at 1B and if they do, Cron will just get splinters. 

Oh, Please ScottyA!!!

Not the dreaded Silver Tips comparison stat line!!!!........ Please, STOP, my ears are bleeding....... 

cover-ears-gif.gif

2 hours ago, ettin said:

I don't see how this makes any sense when you consider that the team decided to platoon him so that he gets the majority of his starts against lefties...

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

It would be typical of the organization to not give a guy a chance, dismiss his underlining improvements in favor of small sample size noise, sell low on the trade market, then spend big bucks in free agency on a worse player.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't see how this makes any sense when you consider that the team decided to platoon him so that he gets the majority of his starts against lefties...

ALF I'm totally confused by this statement. If he got a majority of starts against lefties it was because the Angels believed he could hit them and he didn't.

4 minutes ago, ettin said:

ALF I'm totally confused by this statement. If he got a majority of starts against lefties it was because the Angels believed he could hit them and he didn't.

Maybe I'm reading your statement wrong. I don't understand how the organization could conclude that he looked like a reverse-platoon bat (because he couldn't hit lefties) and then decide that the best course of action was to platoon him so that he mostly faced lefties. It'd be like using Alvarez mostly against righties so that he could prove he could get them out... actually I think Scioscia kind of did that, so maybe bad example, lol.

6 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Maybe I'm reading your statement wrong. I don't understand how the organization could conclude that he looked like a reverse-platoon bat (because he couldn't hit lefties) and then decide that the best course of action was to platoon him so that he mostly faced lefties. It'd be like using Alvarez mostly against righties so that he could prove he could get them out... actually I think Scioscia kind of did that, so maybe bad example, lol.

Well if you read it that way that is not the way I meant it. I was just simply saying that against lefties Cron has suffered over the last three years (until this season) and the onus is on C.J. to produce and show he is more than a glorified strong-side platoon hitter (which he is doing over the last couple of months).

On 8/11/2017 at 1:04 PM, nando714 said:

He's proving me wrong lately and I'm fine with that 

He is proving me right, I've been saying from the day Valbuena was signed Cron is going to get screwed, losing playing time. Even though he showed big improvements with the glove in ST, and had a solid season last year.

I thought without playing every day whether he hit or not he would struggle. Some players need to know that their team believed in them even if they get off to a slow start they won't be benched or sent down.

He is now showing everyone what he is capable of. Last year I thought he proved himself enough to get the starting job without being platooned. Funny thing is, he has been a better hitter against RHP in his career but they platooned him against LHP.

Good for him, the team really needs his bat this time of the season to take them to the playoffs.

Getting to the playoffs is going to be good for Trout to gain the recognition he deserves nationally.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He is proving me right, I've been saying from the day Valbuena was signed Cron is going to get screwed, losing playing time. Even though he showed big improvements with the glove in ST, and had a solid season last year.

I thought without playing every day whether he hit or not he would struggle. Some players need to know that their team believed in them even if they get off to a slow start they won't be benched or sent down.

He is now showing everyone what he is capable of. Last year I thought he proved himself enough to get the starting job without being platooned. Funny thing is, he has been a better hitter against RHP in his career but they platooned him against LHP.

Good for him, the team really needs his bat this time of the season to take them to the playoffs.

Getting to the playoffs is going to be good for Trout to gain the recognition he deserves nationally.

From your mouth to God's ears, Ace!

1 hour ago, slump dog said:

It's August again and Cron is heating up like usual.

Never fails.lol

Cron had a relatively good year last year. He wasn't platooned and he had a respectably slash line of .278/.325/.467/.792 with 16 HR in 116 games. He hit .290 against RHP so platooning him against LHP didn't make any sense to me.

Untitled1.png