• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where does Sonny Gray wind up at the end of the week?

52 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Come on, guys. I remember the Angels in the 60s, right?

i'm obviously a drug runner, right? 

Actually, I work as a contractor for the Feds, as does my wife.

How 'bout them Indians!!!!

So you sell yourself to the highest bidder then? :D

a poster asked - 'what's the deal about Sonny Gray?" as in, why all the focus on him to the near exclusion of others?

Because, he's the most economically priced available rotation guy with an upside on the current market, that's why -- he's just the opposite of big contract, risky Vegnirlander trade, signing.

Some talk here of the M's being IN or the Sonny Gray talks with the A's --  now that's perfect -- DiPoto will drain whatever is left of the M's farm system (posters here who know far more about that than I do, say there's not much in the M's pipeline now) and if Gray goes to the M's it's almost guaranteed he'll wind up like most of the M's big F/A signings (who was that pitcher they got from Baltimore who got big bucks with them and did diddly squat, they signed Jeff Weaver to a big contract after he rehabilitated his career with those St. Louis post- season wins and Weaver tanked in Seattle) so if the M's get Gray, he winds up on the DL long term and the M's farm system is wiped out for the next five years........

aside from Robinson Cano, I can't think of any major F/A signings that have worked out for the M's over the years --- starting with future HOF'er Adrian Beltre who hit 45 HRs in Los Angeles and then sent to Seattle where he was batting below the Mendoza line at the All Star Break the next season in Seattle......got away from Seattle and renewed his stellar career with Boston, Texas etc.

19 hours ago, disarcina said:

got away from Seattle and renewed his stellar career with Boston, Texas etc.

So, since he got his TUE.....    

From age 19 through his age 24 season Beltre was a 97 OPS+ hitter....  Entering his FA year he blows up -- both physically and with the bat..  puts up a 168 OPS+

From age 25 through his age 30 season Beltre was a 102 OPS hitter..   Then he takes a ball off the boys...   One of the boys is damaged --

Beltre obtains a TUE for testosterone.

From age 31 through his age 38 season and with the TUE Beltre has been an OPS+ 133 hitter.   When have we seen aging curves like that before?

But PEDs never helped anyone become a better player or so Big Mac tried to tell us.

48 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So, since he got his TUE.....    

From age 19 through his age 24 season Beltre was a 97 OPS+ hitter....  Entering his FA year he blows up -- both physically and with the bat..  puts up a 168 OPS+

From age 25 through his age 30 season Beltre was a 102 OPS hitter..   Then he takes a ball off the boys...   One of the boys is damaged --

Beltre obtains a TUE for testosterone.

From age 31 through his age 38 season and with the TUE Beltre has been an OPS+ 133 hitter.   When have we seen aging curves like that before?

But PEDs never helped anyone become a better player or so Big Mac tried to tell us.

If Beltre's TUE gives him any performance enhancement advantage then nothing's truly been resolved with this issue and MLB continues to be tainted, legal or otherwise. I could only imagine how much worse the NFL is. 

Hey all, slightly off topic but I was reading the MLB article about darvish being delt, and it said he has a no-trade clause with 10 teams. Having only played for the rangers, why would he actively not want to play for 10 separate teams?

Just curious is all. Cheers.

28 minutes ago, AussieHalo said:

Hey all, slightly off topic but I was reading the MLB article about darvish being delt, and it said he has a no-trade clause with 10 teams. Having only played for the rangers, why would he actively not want to play for 10 separate teams?

Just curious is all. Cheers.

Hi Aussie, players often put specific teams on their no-trade lists for a couple of reasons:

1) They just don't like the potential of that team to win it all at the time they make their no-trade list decision and/or they don't want to move there or just don't like the local/environment. It gives them some degree of certainty on where they will land if they do get traded (i.e. not a team or city they don't feel comfortable at)

2) Players sometimes use it as a leverage tool for a team they DO want to go too. Ex: Ian Kinsler, not too long ago, was being shopped and the Dodgers expressed interest. However Kinsler said he would use his no-trade clause unless they gave him an extension which they didn't do (and that completely backfired on Ian IMHO)

Edited by ettin

2 hours ago, ettin said:

Hi Aussie, players often put specific teams on their no-trade lists for a couple of reasons:

1) They just don't like the potential of that team to win it all at the time they make their no-trade list decision and/or they don't want to move there or just don't like the local/environment. It gives them some degree of certainty on where they will land if they do get traded (i.e. not a team or city they don't feel comfortable at)

2) Players sometimes use it as a leverage tool for a team they DO want to go too. Ex: Ian Kinsler, not too long ago, was being shopped and the Dodgers expressed interest. However Kinsler said he would use his no-trade clause unless they gave him an extension which they didn't do (and that completely backfired on Ian IMHO)

Thanks a lot for that mate!