• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Inbox: Can Meyer be more than 1-hit wonder?

12 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Check out his home and away splits. Home is on top.

59714e99f3ba4_ScreenShot2017-07-20at8_44

You would think all his away starts came at Coors.

I think that's a little deceptive. Meyer came up to the majors with some things he still needed to work through- mainly, he walked everyone forever. 3 of his first 5 games were away, and he ended up with an era of 5.79, racking up about 7 walks per 9 innings pitched. Only 3 of his next 8 games were away, and over that stretch his walks/9 has dropped below 5, and is still dropping. Over that stretch, his era has been 2.66. So, I think that home/away split has more to do with the fact that he was front loaded with away games, and had serious control problems when he first came up - and since then, he has been getting the hang of control, and coincidentally has had more home games.

To me, the million dollar question with him is if he can keep having games like he did a couple nights ago. When his walks are way down like that, he looks like an ace (outside of a weird start against Boston, which was away and really serves to weaken all of my arguments here, unless you dismiss it as an outlier).

Posted in another thread but it applies here too. 
Regarding his home/away splits, some of it is just small sample size, good opponents, and hitting environment.

He was trounced in Seattle his second start of the season and the Mariners are a good offensive team. The Twins beat up on him and they're a solid team. The Red Sox beat up on him in Fenway because Fenway. He didn't last long in the Mets game because he wasn't pitching well, but also an NL park which tends to shorten AL pitchers outings as it is. 

He's obviously more comfortable at home but I'm not stressing the home/road splits yet.