• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

So my buddy in vegas says to come down for the Ducks game.   I found a cheap fare for a bit over $100 with taxes, so I don't have to drive out.  I nake the reservations, and he gets me a comped room.  Everything looks peachy.  Then I look at our schedule, and it's a week before on Dec 5, not Dec 12 like he was saying.  And the mad scramble starts, and luckily I was able to change my flight with no penalties, and he was able to rebook the room for the right week.  

But man, I'm pretty excited.  Outside of the Pond, Forum, and Staples, haven't been to an NHL game.  Will be rocking my Kariya old school jersey.  

24 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

So my buddy in vegas says to come down for the Ducks game.   I found a cheap fare for a bit over $100 with taxes, so I don't have to drive out.  I nake the reservations, and he gets me a comped room.  Everything looks peachy.  Then I look at our schedule, and it's a week before on Dec 5, not Dec 12 like he was saying.  And the mad scramble starts, and luckily I was able to change my flight with no penalties, and he was able to rebook the room for the right week.  

But man, I'm pretty excited.  Outside of the Pond, Forum, and Staples, haven't been to an NHL game.  Will be rocking my Kariya old school jersey.  

Good stuff man, enjoy.  You’ll have to give us a breakdown on that arena. 

17 hours ago, nate said:

Duchene to the Sens, they gave up a ton to get him.

Murray is not and idoit.

That is a stupid amount to give up for 2 years of control.  At least Nash got an extension on Turris, so it may make sense long term.  

According to hockey writers top 100 prospects.  Girard (Nash) #88 overall, 19 yo, 2nd round pick #47.  And just on stats, Kamenev (Nash) 6'2", 2nd round #42 pick, 52 points with the admirals last season, has 8 points in 10 games with the Admirals this season.  Bowers (Ott) 18 yo, 1st round #28 pick.  Hammond (Ott) backup goalie AHL.

So Nashville gave up 3 seconds to get Turris.  Ottawa gave up 2 firsts and a third to get Duchene.  And Sakic is and geneus.  

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Murray is not and idoit.

That is a stupid amount to give up for 2 years of control.  At least Nash got an extension on Turris, so it may make sense long term.  

According to hockey writers top 100 prospects.  Girard (Nash) #88 overall, 19 yo, 2nd round pick #47.  And just on stats, Kamenev (Nash) 6'2", 2nd round #42 pick, 52 points with the admirals last season, has 8 points in 10 games with the Admirals this season.  Bowers (Ott) 18 yo, 1st round #28 pick.  Hammond (Ott) backup goalie AHL.

So Nashville gave up 3 seconds to get Turris.  Ottawa gave up 2 firsts and a third to get Duchene.  And Sakic is and geneus.  

Nashville knows their window is now, as soon as Rinne starts to decline their done. When Rinne got hurt alot some years ago the Predators missed the playoffs.

Even if they got some goalie prospects, they take long to develop & even if their good in their first year the sophmore slump can be rough as seen in Price & even Gibson kinda struggled a little in his 2nd year.

The Ducks don't really have the same kind of window because they can just build their team around Gibson when Gibson enters his prime, the rise of Steel & Kase, still a good chance Ritchie can turn things around he's a PF afterall & they say those take a long time to develop. Some other nice players coming up too like Jones who can be the future of the 2nd line.

Josh Mahura is turning out to be a great Defensive prospect for the Ducks. The Ducks don't need anymore D prospects atm but they'd be good trade bait for other teams forward prospects.

Yeah, kind of ridiculous what they got for him. 

Nashville's GM seems to be doing a good job building a Cup team for the next 3-4 years.

I think Las Vegas is becoming just what everyone thought  they would - America's un team. Or, the most heavily visitor rooting venue in the league. I think they will dwarf what happens in Anaheim.

20 hours ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Nashville knows their window is now, as soon as Rinne starts to decline their done. When Rinne got hurt alot some years ago the Predators missed the playoffs.

Even if they got some goalie prospects, they take long to develop & even if their good in their first year the sophmore slump can be rough as seen in Price & even Gibson kinda struggled a little in his 2nd year.

The Ducks don't really have the same kind of window because they can just build their team around Gibson when Gibson enters his prime, the rise of Steel & Kase, still a good chance Ritchie can turn things around he's a PF afterall & they say those take a long time to develop. Some other nice players coming up too like Jones who can be the future of the 2nd line.

Josh Mahura is turning out to be a great Defensive prospect for the Ducks. The Ducks don't need anymore D prospects atm but they'd be good trade bait for other teams forward prospects.

The Ducks definitely have a window they’re dealing with, and it’s closing faster then Nashville’s.  We do have young guys, but none of them are dominant players.  We don’t have any young Getzlaf’s in the pipeline.  I know we’re all excited about Steel and Jones.  We’ll see what comes with them.  They’re nice prospects.  But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  The Ducks have a glut of D men, and are extremely thin on top 6 forwards not just at the NHL level.  In the pipeline as well the Ducks are very weak up front.  We have basically 3 note worthy guys.  Steel, Jones, and Comtois. All acquired in the last 2 drafts.  At some point Murray is going to have to trade some of these D men to get some guys into the forward group.  

4 minutes ago, nate said:

should be noted that Getzlaf is one of the only players on the Ducks that doesn't wear a face mask.

Ya it’s fucking stupid.  Should be a team rule. 

It’s November, way to early to give up.  We’re talking about windows.  This team can’t afford to write off a year.  It’s time for guys like Lindholm to step up and lead this team.  He’s being paid like a premier player so let’s see it.   We’re gonna have to win being very tough to score on.  Supposedly we’ve got all these great d men right ?

Edited by UndertheHalo

About 94% of NHL players wear visors that could prevent such an injury, but Getzlaf isn't one of them. And now the 32-year-old will be sidelined for up to two months after screws were inserted to fix the displacement. He'll also have to wear a shield when he's back on the ice.

1 hour ago, nate said:

It's actually an NHL rule that you have to wear a visor.  But just like helmets, those that were in the league when the rule took effect can grandfather they non use in.  Getzlaf being one of them.  I think he might be the only one on the team that doesn't wear one.  

https://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-injury-metrics-november-6-2017/

You need a subscription to view.  But no surprise.  Tops in man game lost is the Ducks at 77 followed by the Sabers at 69, Blues at 66, Chicago 53, and Devils/Boston at 50.  And the Ducks also lead the league tied with Vegas on their weighted injury method.  Oh and we are ahead by quite a bit.

https://twitter.com/ManGamesLostNHL/status/927710083655585792

NHL top 5, points in standings lost due to injured players (Lost-ps metric) 1 ANA 6.67 2 VEG 5.14 3 FLA 1.8 4 OTT BOS 1.7

That's pretty sad.  We have almost as much points between us and Vegas as the third place team has total.  

Way too early but if the team does collapse in terms of points & is really bad by the time of January, it will allow them to re-stock at the June 2018 draft.

Vatanen needs to start playing well to up his value by the time of the trade deadline, either way they might move him whether they are in contention or out of the playoff picture.

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

It's actually an NHL rule that you have to wear a visor.  But just like helmets, those that were in the league when the rule took effect can grandfather they non use in.  Getzlaf being one of them.  I think he might be the only one on the team that doesn't wear one.  

Yeah he was grandfathered in.

1 hour ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Way too early but if the team does collapse in terms of points & is really bad by the time of January, it will allow them to re-stock at the June 2018 draft.

Vatanen needs to start playing well to up his value by the time of the trade deadline, either way they might move him whether they are in contention or out of the playoff picture.

Vatanen's D looks good, just has to start scoring now.  Scoring is going to be hard to come by for everyone though without a good center on the ice.  It especially hurts the D because they don't have as much offensive freedom.

1 hour ago, nate said:

Vatanen's D looks good, just has to start scoring now.  Scoring is going to be hard to come by for everyone though without a good center on the ice.  It especially hurts the D because they don't have as much offensive freedom.

Perfect. Probably though Nashville in 2010-2011 didn't have a true top line center & had alot of 3rd line types on their top lines and most of their offense came from Weber/Suter.

I also wonder if they could make a run at signing Tavares in the offseason if they trade Vatanen for picks/prospects & the contracts of Cogliano, Bieksa come off the books. Then with LTIR-ing Eaves that'd save even more. With the Ducks, Tavares would replace Getzlaf as the #1 Center & allow them to take their time with Steel.

In that scenario what position would Steel play in 2018-19 & 2019-20 ?