• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

That's really unfair to pigeonhole Adell like that. Clarke was extremely talented, and the reason he didn't succeed was all between the ears. He cared about money, girls, possessions, being heard. He was a young kid without his head on straight. So as soon as he experienced truly elite competition, he folded. Not coachable, no adjustments. 

Adell seems to have a good head on his shoulders. He reminds me a lot more of Jason Heyward (except right handed). Same build, same power, same speed. Heyward had more loft in his swing, and Adell is more line Drive oriented, but he hits more HR's than anyone else because of his true physicality. He is incredibly strong for his age.

Another comp I'd make us Austin Meadows or Kyle Parker, for those that follow prospects on other teams.

The Angels have been linked to Adell, and i don't think they pass on him if he's there.

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I assume that the scouts are better now at doing due diligence on potential draftees for their makeup/attitude?  

I know a lot of people on here think that everything Dipoto did was bad (it wasn't), but one of the changes that he implemented was adding a psychological profile to all potential draft picks so that they had a better idea of the player they were getting. That is still in place, as far as I know.

On 5/30/2017 at 0:50 PM, Stax said:

Jordon Adell  reminds me to much of Chevy Clarke. I hope the Angels do not draft him.

This is a rather lazy comparison, no? From all reports, Adell is a great kid with plus makeup, something Clarke did not possess. That's not to mention that Adell is arguably the best athlete in this class and ripped 25 home runs this season as a high schooler, although it was against weaker competition. Adell is certainly high risk/high reward but the potential upside here is a 30 HR bat who can run the bases and play above average defense in a corner outfield spot. He's an awfully tempting pick at #10. 

2 hours ago, Brent Maguire said:

This is a rather lazy comparison, no? From all reports, Adell is a great kid with plus makeup, something Clarke did not possess. That's not to mention that Adell is arguably the best athlete in this class and ripped 25 home runs this season as a high schooler, although it was against weaker competition. Adell is certainly high risk/high reward but the potential upside here is a 30 HR bat who can run the bases and play above average defense in a corner outfield spot. He's an awfully tempting pick at #10. 

He's the perfect pick for a team like the Angels. No matter who they pick, the Angels are picking kids for 2020 and beyond. This is an organization that is surprisingly deep, but lacks the impact talent beyond Jahmai, Thaiss, Marsh and Nonie. 

Jo Adell has the chance to be a superstar. The Angels don't a chance to pick a kid like that often, so to use that pick on a #3 starter coming out of college would be extremely disappointing. Guarantee that's what would happen under Dipoto, but Eppler has the guts to pick a Jo Adell type.

Personally, I don't think he makes it to us and we end up settling for Jeren Kendall or Keston Huira. But if he's on the board after the 4th pick of the draft, you'd have to be daft to pass on Adell.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Hiura may have to undergo surgery.   Do the Halos really want to use the #10 pick on someone possibly not able to play until next season?

Huira is one of those cases where you know you're getting a major leaguer, the only question is what kind of major leaguer. He's going to hit and he's going to get on base. He has some pop, but not a lot, some speed, but not a lot. Defensively, the hope is he can refine his game and become a passable 2B or LF. I think ultimately be becomes a Kolton Wong type.

Jeren Kendell has loud tools, and is more refined than Adell, but comes with lower upside, and known contact issues. Personally when I look at his swing, I don't see the projection other scouts see. If it were me, I'd steer clear unless he was available in the 2nd or 3rd round.

But I think that's what the Angels are looking at. Much as we like Adell, that kind of talent coming out of high school tends to leave the board within the first eight picks.

I think Hiura slots well for the Angels to pick him. There is a log jam of outfielders at 7-9 but do the Angels really need to go there?

The next middle infielder is a SS at 17th, the next 2nd baseman listed is 97th in the draft. If I'm throwing the dice on the top 10 pick I would go middle infielder first. Most can be converted to other positions because of athleticism. You start with an outfielder you stay there with that player, not much flexibility.

Now the only question for me is do you take the chance Hiura drops to second round because of impending surgery. I kind of doubt it so then it's a question of how long before your number one pick puts on a MLB uniform and can you wait it out. That's the tough decision since it's obvious Espinosa will not be a bridge.

34 minutes ago, Brent Maguire said:

#443. Cole Percival, whose committed to go play at UC Riverside with his dad, Troy. Cool to see his name on here. 

Scouting Report:

The son of former big league closer Troy Percival kept sprouting in high school, from 6-foot-2 as a sophomore to 6-foot-4 as a junior and finally 6-foot-6 as a senior. Once he stopped growing he finally gained some command, drawing attention from evaluators. Percival is long-limbed and high-waisted in his thin, projectable frame and throws his fastball 88-90 mph downhill with ease. His top secondary is a potentially plus changeup he throws with the same arm speed and draws foolish swings from polished hitters. He shows potential to spin an average curveball but is still learning to master the pitch. Percival's bloodlines, body, stuff and improved command have evaluators' interest piqued, but he is committed to play for his dad at UC Riverside and widely expected to honor that commitment.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/

FanGraphs’ 2017 Mock Draft

by Eric Longenhagen - June 5, 2017

What follows is my best guess for the first round of the 2017 amateur draft. Players have been assigned to teams based on multiple factors: rumors I’ve heard from various industry sources, the presence of front-office members at certain games (especially lately), each club’s own particular modus operandi, etc.

10. Los Angeles of Anaheim – J.B Bukauskas, RHP, North Carolina
Anaheim has reached for a college player in the first round each of the last two years and taken overslot talents later in the draft. That’s not as easy this year, however, with more uniform bonus amounts on the margin. The Angels have been linked to Adell, but he’s likely to have been selected by this point and Bukauskas is solid value here after falling due to poor outings over the last few weeks.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-2017-mock-draft/

I'd be great with Bukauskas if he's available, but I doubt he makes it past the 7th pick with his upside.

i think the same can be said of Jo Adell. 

Typically, I'd be fine with the Angels selecting someone overslot and saving money to invest on a second rounder that should go in the first (Jahmai Jones type). But that's when the Angels are picking in the latter half of the first round and that's when they were operating under Ric Wilson, that was his motus operandi. 

He's out the door now, and the Angels are picking 10th, is a rarity. That's not something you waste trying to save money. You take this opportunity to draft a player you otherwise wouldn't have had a shot at in any other year.

I'd even be fine with Trevor Rogers. 6'6" high school lefty pumping mid-90's with tons of projection. He has the type of upside that would make Sean Newcomb blush.