• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Buy Low on Puig?

What kind of a buy-low might the Angels get on Yasiel Puig right now?  

What have they got to lose should this LF platoon failure linger again after Gentry and Nava last year with Maybin and Revere this year.  Both are good with the glove and speed on the base paths but neither bat may impact.  

The head and the performance is a risk with Puig to begin with but could be of explosive impact to them with the venue change to this lineup.  

Wait and see on LF now or take this buy-low chance if it's there, what would you do?  

15 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Haniger is on a whole different level than Marte. Getting Haniger in the Segura trade was a nice pickup for Seattle.

Right, but they were both fairly under the radar bats in the minors that were overlooked by their parent teams. 

I think part of the reason Eppler has stashed so many AAA SP depth is for this purpose. If they aren't needed in Anaheim midseason, flipping a Banuelos/Wright/Pounders type for an under the radar AAA bat is feasible. Just comes down to scouting and knowing who is the next Haniger or Marte and not the next Kubitza, but Eppler's crew has been pretty savvy on these AAA depth-types so far.

48 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Haniger was the throw in on that deal. They got lucky! 

Fangraphs surmised that Haniger may have been just as much of a target as Segura. 

But yeah, I feel pursuing someone of that caliber is a wiser and likelier outcome than going after Puig. There's still a lot of cost there, both in money and players dealt, without much guarantee of an outcome that's worth it. 

Haniger, 25, made his Major League debut in 2016, hitting .229 with five home runs and 17 RBIs in 34 games, but he was also named Arizona's Minor League Player of the Year after finishing with a .321 average, 25 homers and 94 RBIs between Double-A Mobile and Triple-A Reno. Along with power, he brings good plate discipline and above-average defensive skills at all three outfield positions.

mlb.com

21 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Not true

The Seattle media up here claim all the time that he was thrown in on the deal. 

I never said he was a bad ball player, just reciting what is talked about up here. 

So far Dipoto looks like a genius in acquiring Segura/Haniger and Motter, though like the Angels, he's a bottom dweller. 

At a very brief, unresearched glance, I noticed guys like Andrew Pullin, who is in the Phillies org putting up solid numbers but buried beneath higher profile OF prospects, or Jose Pirela for the Pads, former top prospect who has had a couple solid seasons and has some versatility and is likely below some younger prospects on the depth chart. Diamondbacks have a whole host of AAAA-type players that could be expendable.

Plenty of uncertainty, but if the cost for someone like this in a month or two is a Banuelos or Perez or Cowart or Gatto, it could be in the cards. 

I'm still not too concerned. We're 20 games into the year, and we started with a very tough schedule (both in opponents and days off) and we knew it was going to be a patchwork pitching staff with health issues right off the bat. I still think if we're a game or three around .500 by our next off day, we will be in alright shape.

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

The Dodgers are going to use Puig to land Ryan Braun before the deadline. Mark my words. 

That's selling low on Braun, unless u think the Doyers compensate the Brohaus nicely for the difference, which they can, but then the Doyers 2nd guess the deal, don't they?  

The Doyers rich on prospects make the deal that much more difficult for them is my point

10 hours ago, totdprods said:

At a very brief, unresearched glance, I noticed guys like Andrew Pullin, who is in the Phillies org putting up solid numbers but buried beneath higher profile OF prospects, or Jose Pirela for the Pads, former top prospect who has had a couple solid seasons and has some versatility and is likely below some younger prospects on the depth chart. Diamondbacks have a whole host of AAAA-type players that could be expendable.

Plenty of uncertainty, but if the cost for someone like this in a month or two is a Banuelos or Perez or Cowart or Gatto, it could be in the cards. 

I'm still not too concerned. We're 20 games into the year, and we started with a very tough schedule (both in opponents and days off) and we knew it was going to be a patchwork pitching staff with health issues right off the bat. I still think if we're a game or three around .500 by our next off day, we will be in alright shape.

Interesting, and we all agree, this team contends if it can overall avoid that damn red cross, but my suggestion is merely taking the stab at that player that could be with a liitle more umphhh than they have on hand for LF.

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

Can he pitch the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th inning?

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

Can he pitch the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th inning?

That doesn't matter if they're not showing anything out of that LF position right now.  

Look, is Eppler going to to let 2 seasons failed attempt go out of that LF position before he makes the gutsy move?...I wouldn't!