• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Price

I am quite sure they weren't throwing as hard way back in Cy Young's era. Also, they weren't throwing as hard for as long, for the most part, if you aren't getting into the 90's coming out of high school, you aren't getting a division 1 scholarship.

It is a good question, @fan_since79, and one MLB would really love to know. I suspect it has to do with nutritional deficiency - that the increase of processed foods, preservatives, etc, has weakened the human body. While they didn't have the same knowledge of sports medicine, health and fitness 100 years ago, they also all essentially ate organic, whole foods.

15 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Cy Young tossed 749 complete games and was known to have a blazing fastball. His nickname Cy is short for "cyclone" to describe his pitches. He never suffered a significant arm injury in 22 major league seasons.

David Price has 16 complete games.

Were people built differently back then?

The game was different.  Cy Young played during the dead ball era.  There were times where the league leader in home runs had less than 10.  Without much fear of a home run, pitchers were instructed not to pitch so hard when the bases were empty.

12 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Cy Young tossed 749 complete games and was known to have a blazing fastball. His nickname Cy is short for "cyclone" to describe his pitches. He never suffered a significant arm injury in 22 major league seasons.

David Price has 16 complete games.

Were people built differently back then?

No, it was easier to pitch.

Baseballs were mushy, left dirty and misshaped due to usage..  pitchers would take a new ball and roll it in dirt to blacken it before even using them -- mix in some tobacco juice too, so it stayed nice and dirty.   Balls in those days were also significantly softer, so much so that getting the ball to carry took a great deal more effort -- also why bats were so much heavier because it wasn't about impact and velocity as much as generating push/pull...  The mound was also very different -- for most of Young's career there was no limit to how much higher the mound was, it wasn't until 1904 that they instituted a maximum height of 15 inches, and that height was cut down to 10 inches in 1969 because of the dominance of pitching..    

So to recap.... he was throwing downhill, with a dark glorified beanball, and no hitter's backdrop behind him.

If pitchers today got to play with those balls and those conditions -- LOL..

Dude, men croaked at the age of 46 when Cy Young started his career. Their nutrition intake was what defined a poor diet. 

Most of the hitters Young faced were gripping a bat with their hands spread apart and the ball was made so loosely wound it was like playing with a large hackey sack. Some players didn't even wear gloves in 1890 and some pitchers threw underhand. This was not the kind of competition you are seeing today. 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

It is a good question, @fan_since79, and one MLB would really love to know. I suspect it has to do with nutritional deficiency - that the increase of processed foods, preservatives, etc, has weakened the human body. While they didn't have the same knowledge of sports medicine, health and fitness 100 years ago, they also all essentially ate organic, whole foods.

17 minutes ago, Skram said:

I am quite sure they weren't throwing as hard way back in Cy Young's era. Also, they weren't throwing as hard for as long, for the most part, if you aren't getting into the 90's coming out of high school, you aren't getting a division 1 scholarship.

Throwing hard and pitching are 2 different things. I'd rather have a pitcher then a guy who throws a 93 fastball with no movement 

30 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I bet it's all the vaccines that are tearing up peoples elbows too. :572ac679b8023_sticker375x360:

25 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

No, it was easier to pitch.

Baseballs were mushy, left dirty and misshaped due to usage..  pitchers would take a new ball and roll it in dirt to blacken it before even using them -- mix in some tobacco juice too, so it stayed nice and dirty.   Balls in those days were also significantly softer, so much so that getting the ball to carry took a great deal more effort -- also why bats were so much heavier because it wasn't about impact and velocity as much as generating push/pull...  The mound was also very different -- for most of Young's career there was no limit to how much higher the mound was, it wasn't until 1904 that they instituted a maximum height of 15 inches, and that height was cut down to 10 inches in 1969 because of the dominance of pitching..    

So to recap.... he was throwing downhill, with a dark glorified beanball, and no hitter's backdrop behind him.

If pitchers today got to play with those balls and those conditions -- LOL..

I also believe the strike zone was Trumboesque. 

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I also believe the strike zone was Trumboesque. 

Good call -- I think some parks didnt have fences too -- game was very pitcher friendly.

Havent seen you posting of late -- nice to see you at it again Gotbeer.

Grant Brisbee with an article on guys going to James Andrews for 2nd opinions..   http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/2/14790838/david-price-injury-dr-james-andrews-second-opinion  talk about brutal... 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

Suck it Red Sox. 

On further review my post seems to be out of place, not quite right and inappropriate. I'm sorry I directed my scorn to the Red Sox organization that will be severely hampered if David Price were to be lost to season ending Tommy John surgery.

Suck it Chowds!

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Good call -- I think some parks didnt have fences too -- game was very pitcher friendly.

Grant Brisbee with an article on guys going to James Andrews for 2nd opinions..   http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/2/14790838/david-price-injury-dr-james-andrews-second-opinion  talk about brutal... 

Interesting thing on 2nd opinions.... Doctor Jobe wanted to cut on me said it was my rotator cuff when I was playing.(surgeons cut...That's their job)..Later after I was done playing went to see a doctor who said it was impingement and he made a slight grove in my shoulder blade to allow the tendon some extra spacing....Never had an issue since! Wish that was thought of when I was still playing and young!

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

He missed Andrew Heaney that tried platelets and still had to have surgery. I don't think Tropeano went with the second opinion.