• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Sign Yusmeiro Petit

John Smith

22 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:
stop·gap
ˈstäpˌɡap/
noun
  1. a temporary way of dealing with a problem or satisfying a need.
    "transplants are only a stopgap until more sophisticated alternatives can work"
    synonyms: temporary solution/fix, expedient, makeshift; More

But yeah -- people are totally expecting players to "blossom" into something special....   

Well I'm glad that we got that settled. I'm not conceding, I'm just being realistic. 

2 hours ago, CALZONE said:

I'm happy with all of the pick ups on the cheap but we are adding yet another guy that has played for at least 4 other teams. Maybin, Revere, Chavez, Valbuena and Norris have all done that. It's not like they're suddenly going to blossom into something special because they're now playing for us. Remember that all of these guys were very easy to acquire. Let's see how they do in an Angels uniform. 

We aren't going to get something special "on the cheap".  Now we might draft someone special, but you aren't signing a guy as a free agent on the cheap that is going to turn into the next 4 or 5 win player.  

4 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

This move may or may not make the team better, but it for sure makes us deeper. Having yet another guy (along with Chavez, Meyer, and Ramirez) that can function in both a starting and relief capacity as well as move between AAA and the majors gives us a lot of roster flexibility.

I assume he's out of options, based on how long he's been around. 

21 hours ago, Dochalo said:

couple of thing that I found interesting.  

he was terrible as a starter in limited action for 2014 but good there in 2013.  

Starting in 2014, he was really good as reliever that year and solid in 2015.  Last year he struggled in that short stint, but the interesting thing is that he has slowly been decreasing the use of his curve.  Last year to the point that he actually threw his slider more often.  Which, if I had to guess, was something that the Nats made happen.  

But this is more of the same in a good way with these fringy starter/relief guys.  Would seriously love to see Petit, Norris, Pounders, Chavez, Meyer and Ramirez form some sort of rotation where they man the 5th spot and get 2-3 inning appearances elsewhere.  Obviously, the roster limits negate our ability to have them all available, but you can shuffle guys back and forth from SLC.  

I still can't imagine them going through with your plan, but by adding yet another swing man with minor league options you have to wonder just what they are thinking with regards to usage.

16 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I assume he's out of options, based on how long he's been around. 

How does that work if he's signed to a minor league deal? Does that mean once they call him up it vests into a major league deal and they can't send him down again? If that is the case then there is almost no way he makes the team out of spring.

I could be mistaken but I believe any player that has at least three years of MLB service time, no matter what contract they sign, can elect free agency if they are designated for assignment. Also if they have less than three years of service time but this is the 2nd time they are being DFA'd they, too, can elect free agency.

8 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

How does that work if he's signed to a minor league deal? Does that mean once they call him up it vests into a major league deal and they can't send him down again? If that is the case then there is almost no way he makes the team out of spring.

Yes. You are optioned anytime you're on the 40-man roster and not in the majors. 

3 hours ago, ettin said:

I could be mistaken but I believe any player that has at least three years of MLB service time, no matter what contract they sign, can elect free agency if they are designated for assignment. Also if they have less than three years of service time but this is the 2nd time they are being DFA'd they, too, can elect free agency.

I'm not even sure of all the circumstances that allow a player to reject an outright assignment. I do know on the second you can reject it. I also know in some cases the player forfeits some money by rejecting it, which is why they might accept it even if they can reject it.