• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels nearing multiyear deal with Luis Valbuena

John Smith

• 2 weeks later...

the best thing I've read about Valbuena so far is the prior post that researched his stats which indicate Valbuena does not hit into many double plays.

Pujols season stats for each season with the Halos are pretty good on paper -- but for the past two maybe three seasons, he's been Mr. GIDP.

Nothing kills a rally like that.

Cron not quite Mr. GIDP (and I think Cron's D at first has gotten better -- of course when he first started playing there for the Halos, there was only one way to go - UP/Improve) but he hits into his share.

Valbuena can play some late inning 1B and PH for Cron in situatons with a runner on base and the need to move him over while reducing the chances of a GIDP.

Valbuena could also be late inning Defensive replacement at 3B -- although I wouldn't pinch run for Escobar, who is pretty good on the base paths.

12 hours ago, disarcina said:

the best thing I've read about Valbuena so far is the prior post that researched his stats which indicate Valbuena does not hit into many double plays.

That got me thinking ... The Angels heavy right-handedness and their propensity to hit into DPs are likely related. Obviously, a right-handed hitter is 6 feet farther from first.

So I looked it up...

The Angels had a RH hitter up in 76 percent of their PA's with a runner at first and less than 2 outs last year. The ML average was 59 percent.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That got me thinking ... The Angels heavy right-handedness and their propensity to hit into DPs are likely related. Obviously, a right-handed hitter is 6 feet farther from first.

So I looked it up...

The Angels had a RH hitter up in 76 percent of their PA's with a runner at first and less than 2 outs last year. The ML average was 59 percent.

Interesting.

I went and pulled up 2016 data and calculated the rates of team PA's/GDP against both L and R. Right-handed hitters hit into double plays nearly 28% more than left-handed hitters.

The more you know! Even more of a reason to acquire left-handed bats, particularly on a team like this with a high contact rate.