• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

$156 Million

Hubs

16 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

What we really need is another top tier starting pitcher.  Since none of those are currently available, we should stay as far under the cap as possible, see what the June draft brings, and wait for the trade deadline, perhaps some of these big spenders will end up being big sellers.

I actually believe this is the Angels thinking. 

Every dollar you spend is a dollar you don't have for something else. It's not like you lose the money if you don't spend it. So if there's no one worth spending it on, you shouldn't spend it just because you can. 

The most impactful pitcher available as a free agent now is Ivan Nova. Ivan Nova? If he hadn't had a 3.08 ERA in 2 months after he was traded who would even want him?

You know who had a 3.21 ERA in 2 months after he was traded?

Ricky Nolasco

47 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I actually believe this is the Angels thinking. 

Every dollar you spend is a dollar you don't have for something else. It's not like you lose the money if you don't spend it. So if there's no one worth spending it on, you shouldn't spend it just because you can. 

The most impactful pitcher available as a free agent now is Ivan Nova. Ivan Nova? If he hadn't had a 3.08 ERA in 2 months after he was traded who would even want him?

You know who had a 3.21 ERA in 2 months after he was traded?

Ricky Nolasco

What about Tyson Ross?  

coming off the same surgery Bedrosian had and he's essentially Garrett Richards when healthy.  It's a risk, but he's the most front line guy available and he'd be relatively cheap and short term because he's looking to regain his value.  

On 12/13/2016 at 6:58 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Trout is going to be really excited when he hits FA and the Angels offer him the largest contract in MLB history to be the only guy on the team.

Sorry for the late reply , but I meant going all in as in building a contending team in 2018, '19, and '20, the last of Trout's years. I think you took it as pinching pennies to offer him lucrative contract. The Angels won't be able to outbid some of the other team's for him but maybe having a quality team in his last couple of years can be a selling point, if we can afford Trout anyway. Resigning him or not, creating the best possible team during the time we have with him should be a priority. 

7 minutes ago, marcosantinia12 said:

Sorry for the late reply , but I meant going all in as in building a contending team in 2018, '19, and '20, the last of Trout's years. I think you took it as pinching pennies to offer him lucrative contract. The Angels won't be able to outbid some of the other team's for him but maybe having a quality team in his last couple of years can be a selling point, if we can afford Trout anyway. Resigning him or not, creating the best possible team during the time we have with him should be a priority. 

I agree with you but I don't feel like that is what the team is doing. I don't expect any large contracts until Trout has a new one.

3 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

What we really need is another top tier starting pitcher.  Since none of those are currently available, we should stay as far under the cap as possible, see what the June draft brings, and wait for the trade deadline, perhaps some of these big spenders will end up being big sellers.

Well yeah we need that as well. But we need bullpen help regardless. We've addressed the offense, as well as the defense. We've also addressed the rotation as much as we possibly can. Once again however, we've completely ignored the bullpen. 

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

What about Tyson Ross?  

coming off the same surgery Bedrosian had and he's essentially Garrett Richards when healthy.  It's a risk, but he's the most front line guy available and he'd be relatively cheap and short term because he's looking to regain his value.  

I would 100% be in favor of this. Especially over Nova. 

Update, Skaggs may or may not be eligible for arbitration because he is within days of the cut off. Currently he is 2.135 (2 years 135 /180 days of service) and the cut off will be 2 years 131 days of service. This will update his salary number into the low millions, which will push the total to 158 or 159 million. 

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

Update, Skaggs may or may not be eligible for arbitration because he is within days of the cut off. Currently he is 2.135 (2 years 135 /180 days of service) and the cut off will be 2 years 131 days of service. This will update his salary number into the low millions, which will push the total to 158 or 159 million. 

He's not eligible because he was not in the majors enough in 2016, so he doesn't qualify to be a Super 2 regardless of his service time. 

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I agree with you but I don't feel like that is what the team is doing. I don't expect any large contracts until Trout has a new one.

15 years/$500MM next season for Trout, mark it. $33.3M Average Annual Value.

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

What about Tyson Ross?  

Relatively cheap? What is relatively cheap to you?

I expect him to sign for $6-8M plus incentives that take it to $10+. 

Plenty of teams will see exactly what you see and he'll have multiple offers to choose from. It's going to come down to where he wants to pitch, I suspect.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Plenty of teams will see exactly what you see and he'll have multiple offers to choose from. It's going to come down to where he wants to pitch, I suspect.

While not relatively cheap for our impecunious resident doctor Dochalo, it should be fairly cheap to billionaire owner Arte Moreno. 

We are truly in dire straits as an organization when paying for one win on the open market for a projected near 3 war player who fulfills a need is considered too burdensome. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

potential production - (cost + risk) = a positive number.  But that's my fan equation.  

I think Arte's equation is

dollar value of increase in attendance after signing said player - player's salary = yacht fuel.