• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Top 30 Prospects

Second Base

AngelsWin.com 2017 Top 30 Los Angeles Angels Prospects

Jahmai-Jones-2016-bm.jpg

By Scotty Allen, AngelsWin.com Staff Writer 

Following Angels prospects requires an unhealthy obsession with uncertain possibilities, an unjustifiable optimism in a brighter future, a unnatural curiosity and an eye to see things that may or may not be there.  And so of course, only a few Angel fans are actually crazy enough to undertake this mission.  From myself (going on seven years in a row), DocHalo's memory of obscure details, Inside Pitch's calculations, Dave's traveling to different minor league parks and interviewing guys other people never heard of, and finally Chuck for organizing all of it, this year's Top 30 is a conglomeration of countless man hours and different areas of expertise.  There's no "one" person that can take credit for making this list, which offers readers a different perspective.  This isn't one knowledgeable person's perspective, this is AngelsWin, and this is a list of men we've debated over and assigned a value to.  Without any further ado, here are your AngelsWin Top 30 Prospects! 

1. 1B Matt Thaiss
2. OF Jahmai Jones 
3. RHP Alex Meyer 
4. C Taylor Ward
5. OF Brandon Marsh
6. RHP Keynan Middleton
7. IF Nonie Williams 
8. OF Michael Hermosillo
9. RHP Chris Rodriguez
10. LHP Nate Smith
11. RHP Grayson Long
12. LHP Manny Banuelos
13. IF David Fletcher
14. RHP Jaime Barria
15. RHP Jesus Castillo
16. RHP Vicente Campos
17. RHP Cole Duensing
18. OF Troy Montgomery
19. RHP Eduardo Paredes
20. IF Hutton Moyer
21. OF Brennon Lund
22. RHP Kyle McGowin
23. RHP Joe Gatto
24. LHP Chris O'Grady
25. LHP Jonah Wesely
26. OF Jared Foster
27. OF Zach Gibbons
28. RHP Jordan Kipper
29. IF Leonardo Rivas
30. RHP Austin Adams

Scouting Reports as well as analysis on each of these prospects will be published every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from now until February, getting you your Angels fix through the cold winter months.  I'd like to personally encourage readers to compare our list with any others.  

And now, our Honorable Mentions. 

SS Connor Justus - A fine defensive shortstop with the tools to stay there permanently.  A refined approach at the plate.  The only question is, will he hit enough to make it to the majors?

LHP Kevin Grendell - A left handed reliever that can touch the mid-90’s and the mentality to attack hitters. 

OF Johan Sala - 18 year old outfielder from the Dominican Republic that just oozes upside.  He should come stateside next year. 

RHP Jose Rodriguez - Soft tossing righty with a solid curve and change up.  Spots his pitches well.  An efficient pitcher, gets the easy outs. 

IF Sherman Johnson - Athletic infielder, can do just about everything on the diamond except hit for average.  Makes up for it with great plate discipline. 

RHP Jared Ruxer - Would have been a first or second round pick out of Louisville, but needed TJ surgery.  Back in action now.  Sits 92+ with a good breaking ball and advanced feel for a change up.  Dominant in A Ball, roughed up in Cal League, though still logged strikeouts. 

2B Jordan Zimmerman - 7th round pick from Michigan State.  A middle infielder with considerable power.

3B/LF Cal Towey - This guy (entering age 27 season) will not stop hitting. Solid gap power, some over-the-wall power, advanced approach at the plate, great pitch recognition.  Solid athlete, smart base runner.  An improbable story but he might end up being a very useful major leaguer.  

2B Alex Yarbrough - Once seen as the heir to Howie Kendrick’s second base position, Yarbrough stumbled in AAA last year and spent the rest of the year in AA, where he was again solid.  There’s still some hope that his development hasn’t stalled and that he will be a starting second baseman in the major leagues.  He's also added third base to his resume. 

RHP Troy Scribner - Soft tossing righty with a chip on his shoulder.  Upper 80’s fastball, good change up and good curve ball.  Has succeeded at every level despite mediocre arsenal.  Buried on the depth chart, but if he continues to out-pitch his competition, he’ll make it to the majors.  Good trade for the Angels. 

Remember to tune in every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at AngelsWin for in-depth details and analysis regarding prospects.

Still not a very inspiring list, but better than last year. The players I'm most interested in, as far as watching their progress next year, are Jones and Thaiss, of course, but also Marsh. I hadn't heard of this Sala kid, but he sounds exciting. Another Dominican I'm curious about is Miguel De La Cruz, if only because I love the combination of speed and discipline.

I'm also watching the "college crew" from last year - Lund, Montgomery, Zimmerman, Justus. Hopefully one of these guys "does a Calhoun."

Sad to see Sherman Johnson fall so far. I was really hoping he could be our poor man's Chone Figgins, the super-UT version. But now it looks like he maxed out in 2014...hopefully he'll have another jump forward, but he's going to be 27 mid-season.

Finally, I'd have to rank Jones higher than Thaiss. When I think of prospects lists, to me the bottom line is that the order is in who I'd like like to let go of, and the answer (for me) is Jahmai Jones. Thaiss may have a better bat, but he really seems likely another CJ Cron, bound for 1B/DH, while Jones has a more complete profile.

So are you going to be giving details of each of the 30 over the next few weeks? How's it going to work?

5 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Thanks Scotty

Just like that, one of your honorables is gone. Where would you put Pounder?

Yeah that's why we have to get it in nice and early, before all the prospects get traded at the Winter Meetings!  I think Pounders probably would go into our honorable mention section right next to Kevin Greendale.  Pounders throws a little harder, but Grendel's off-speed pitches are better. 

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Still not a very inspiring list, but better than last year. The players I'm most interested in, as far as watching their progress next year, are Jones and Thaiss, of course, but also Marsh. I hadn't heard of this Sala kid, but he sounds exciting. Another Dominican I'm curious about is Miguel De La Cruz, if only because I love the combination of speed and discipline.

I'm also watching the "college crew" from last year - Lund, Montgomery, Zimmerman, Justus. Hopefully one of these guys "does a Calhoun."

Sad to see Sherman Johnson fall so far. I was really hoping he could be our poor man's Chone Figgins, the super-UT version. But now it looks like he maxed out in 2014...hopefully he'll have another jump forward, but he's going to be 27 mid-season.

Finally, I'd have to rank Jones higher than Thaiss. When I think of prospects lists, to me the bottom line is that the order is in who I'd like like to let go of, and the answer (for me) is Jahmai Jones. Thaiss may have a better bat, but he really seems likely another CJ Cron, bound for 1B/DH, while Jones has a more complete profile.

So are you going to be giving details of each of the 30 over the next few weeks? How's it going to work?

Yes, beginning on Monday we'll have a scouting report on Austin Adams and open the floor up for discussion. 

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I'm curious if Thaiss has done any catching this year. 

Matt didn't do any catching this year.  Much like Cron, though he played catcher in college, the Angels drafted Thaiss for his bat and intend to move him to wherever he can fit.  The plan right now is first base, and that seems like a pretty good spot for Thaiss to play, though there have already been discussions about putting him out if RF or LF.  He's athletic, but slow footed, but his arm would play well in the corner OF.  We'll see what happens. 

First of all I'd like to say very nice intro and very nice job to the staff for putting this together, great work! :D

I think the list is pretty accurate overall, although personally I would rate Long, Campos, and Barria a touch higher but you could probably persuade me you were right in your placement.

The only real shocker left off the list is Sherman Johnson. You all are going to have to explain that one to me because he did really well in AA and had serious BABIP issues at AAA. Even if you consider him a utility guy with a platoon bat he should have cracked the Top 25 in my humble opinion. If you believe he is potentially more than a utility bat and will improve against LHP then he should have been even higher.

But again great job Chuck, Dave, Scotty, Doc, and IP congrats! :D

9 hours ago, ettin said:

First of all I'd like to say very nice intro and very nice job to the staff for putting this together, great work! :D

I think the list is pretty accurate overall, although personally I would rate Long, Campos, and Barria a touch higher but you could probably persuade me you were right in your placement.

The only real shocker left off the list is Sherman Johnson. You all are going to have to explain that one to me because he did really well in AA and had serious BABIP issues at AAA. Even if you consider him a utility guy with a platoon bat he should have cracked the Top 25 in my humble opinion. If you believe he is potentially more than a utility bat and will improve against LHP then he should have been even higher.

I cast my vote for Sherm to get a spot on in the top 30 as well, @ettin.

Shows you how little my opinion matters around here. :)

Outside of that, great list Scotty. looking forward to the scouting reports.

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I cast my vote for Sherm to get a spot on in the top 30 as well, @ettin.

Shows you how little my opinion matters around here. :)

Outside of that, great list Scotty. looking forward to the scouting reports.

you're alright larusso.  

great job guys.  

I think we'll see Sherm in the majors this year.  He's always had some BABIP issues.  He's got some decent pop but seems to make a lot of weak contact otherwise.  Makes me wonder if some of his struggles are mental where he overthinks.  Which could bode well for him getting some exposure to guys at the major league level to help him progress.  I totally forgot about him when making my top 30, but I could definitely see an argument for putting him anywhere between 20 to 30.  

Just so you all know, it's never easy making lists like this. The list presented was our consensus, and does not reflect any one of our opinions, but the combination of all of our opinions. There are many variables that affect it, such as the player's potential ceiling, the player's floor, distance from the Majors, roadblocks to the majors (such as several other players at the same position or a player in the Majors with long contracts, etc.). It gets even more difficult when you've gotten to know many of the players involved and you want to see them succeed. However, we have to be as objective as possible to provide this information for you. 

There were several debates about the list before it came out, but, I think because it reflects a diversity of viewpoints from all the writers, That's why I believe our list is generally better than most national publications rankings of the Angels prospects. Like all publications, we may miss a little bit here and there, but in general, we've been a lot more spot on than most publications. 

Scotty really deserves some commendation for spearheading this task. It is NOT an easy idea to write up all of these reports. While we are all contributing here and there to the writeups, Scotty is shouldering the load, and I very much appreciate it.

58 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

you're alright larusso.  

great job guys.  

I think we'll see Sherm in the majors this year.  He's always had some BABIP issues.  He's got some decent pop but seems to make a lot of weak contact otherwise.  Makes me wonder if some of his struggles are mental where he overthinks.  Which could bode well for him getting some exposure to guys at the major league level to help him progress.  I totally forgot about him when making my top 30, but I could definitely see an argument for putting him anywhere between 20 to 30.  

That .369/.481/.677 slash line w/ an 1.158 OPS in AA tho! 

Damn. 

16 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Scotty really deserves some commendation for spearheading this task. It is NOT an easy idea to write up all of these reports. While we are all contributing here and there to the writeups, Scotty is shouldering the load, and I very much appreciate it.

Yep, I did these for a few years by myself, then we worked in tandem, then you did them for a couple years. Lots of work, many hours logged to complete it. 

Kudos, Scotty for taking the reigns. It's a ton of work. 

11 hours ago, ettin said:

Sherman is a player I personally root for, along with Jonah Wesely, Alex Yarbrough and Michael Hermosillo. But we have to put those feelings aside and be objective, as Dave said.

Sherman's ability to get on base, play increasingly good defense at both 3B and 2B, run a little and drive the ball a little have kept him on our radar for a while.

For me personally, I think he reminds me a bit of Josh Harrison from the Pirates. But the lack of BA has become such a reoccurring pattern that it changes the way I view him. Plate discipline is one thing, but if you're only hitting .200, even the most patient of hitters will only get on base 30% of the time. Not enough.

And as far as his future goes, Sherman projects best as a utility player, but comparatively, he has to compete with Fletcher with that spot, and Fletcher's the better defender, and can play SS. 

Then there's age to take into account. 

I get the feeling that Sherman will be like Shoemaker. A guy I've kept tabs on his whole career, but always sat on the peripheral for one reason or another, until he reaches the majors and proves you very wrong. And for what it's worth, Sherman's been a favorite among his teammates at every level, which will tell you something.

After his playing career is done, he might want to strong consider coaching, especially at the collegiate level.

I'm hoping whoever we get to play 2B, especially if it's a guy like Stephen Drew, that Sherman Johnson comes in and blows away the 2B and takes the starting job much like my boy in Seattle did for the Seahawks after they paid Flynn millions of dollars to be their QB, then Russell Wilson outplayed him in camp to win the starting job. 

2 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Sherman is a player I personally root for, along with Jonah Wesely, Alex Yarbrough and Michael Hermosillo. But we have to put those feelings aside and be objective, as Dave said.

Sherman's ability to get on base, play increasingly good defense at both 3B and 2B, run a little and drive the ball a little have kept him on our radar for a while.

For me personally, I think he reminds me a bit of Josh Harrison from the Pirates. But the lack of BA has become such a reoccurring pattern that it changes the way I view him. Plate discipline is one thing, but if you're only hitting .200, even the most patient of hitters will only get on base 30% of the time. Not enough.

And as far as his future goes, Sherman projects best as a utility player, but comparatively, he has to compete with Fletcher with that spot, and Fletcher's the better defender, and can play SS. 

Then there's age to take into account. 

I get the feeling that Sherman will be like Shoemaker. A guy I've kept tabs on his whole career, but always sat on the peripheral for one reason or another, until he reaches the majors and proves you very wrong. And for what it's worth, Sherman's been a favorite among his teammates at every level, which will tell you something.

After his playing career is done, he might want to strong consider coaching, especially at the collegiate level.

Sherman is definitely a personal favorite. He's a sleeper type. It seems that he has to adjust to each like for half a season before performing better. I really would like to see him make it, and agree with Scotty, that he has the makings to become a great coach later on when he's done playing. I would love to see him make it and prove everyone wrong. But, as Scotty pointed out, there are other factors affecting him. I personally blame Eppler for not making a trade to free up a spot or two so we could add him to the list. 

3 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Sherman is definitely a personal favorite. He's a sleeper type. It seems that he has to adjust to each like for half a season before performing better. I really would like to see him make it, and agree with Scotty, that he has the makings to become a great coach later on when he's done playing. I would love to see him make it and prove everyone wrong. But, as Scotty pointed out, there are other factors affecting him. I personally blame Eppler for not making a trade to free up a spot or two so we could add him to the list. 

I noticed that trend with Sherm too. Hopefully it means he has a red-hot first half in SLC that gets him a midseason call-up.

37 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I noticed that trend with Sherm too. Hopefully it means he has a red-hot first half in SLC that gets him a midseason call-up.

+1

Maury Wills was also a long time minor leaguer; wasn't a MLB player until age 26/27 season in 1959, after EIGHT minor league seasons.

Weird fact: Wills was 6th in NL MVP voting at age 38 in 1971, despite a .652 OPS and only 15 SBs.

Great work guys. I don't have much to nitpick with other than flip flopping Jones and Thaiss. That's just due to the fact that I think Jones has star potential while Thaiss projects to be more of a solid regular.

The most noticeable difference between this list and the ones about a year ago is the system has clearly made a positive jump forward. The organization is still lacking in big talent but there's quite a few more guys who project to fill some role in the majors. Let's hope Eppler kills the draft this year, goes crazy in International Spending and makes a few shrewd trades. 

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd love to see Sherman Johnson become the team's future super UT, as soon as 2017, and Michael Hermosillo be the 4th outfielder, although probably not until 2018 or 2019.

I think once Sherman demonstrates a mastery of AAA, that's a possibility. But with Hermosillo, he's just 21 years old. He needs development time and even then, there's some power, speed and defensive projection there that we're just beginning to scratch the surface of. Yeah, he might end up being a 4th OF, but right now he has the potential to be a good starting OF.

What's crazy about this is if it was 2012 and had these guys alone (minus Jones, Thiass, etc.) we'd be ranked in the top 3-5 based on having these three arms.