• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Post-election counseling

12 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

It has gone up. Five years ago, they quoted us somewhere in the neighborhood of $55-56K per year.

Their informational literature says that Hampshire College was formed after a group of academicians met and decided what the future of higher education should be (this was in the 1970s sometime). Hampshire was the end result. A ridiculously expensive school with no curriculum and questionable degree programs. I was left to wonder what success a student would have with an undergraduate degree from Hampshire and trying to do post-graduate work somewhere else.

I wonder why it is so expensive. One of the most significant costs for colleges is their program accreditation process. 

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I wonder why it is so expensive. One of the most significant costs for colleges is their program accreditation process. 

My guess is that a handful of people are getting very wealthy from duping students into going there, when they could have had much better job prospects after getting a degree from a conventional college or university - and probably for less money. I spent some time with the recruiter when he was interviewing my stepdaughter, and the unconventionality of the whole experience is their primary selling point. It all sounds very appealing, until you start trying to figure out how any of this applies to real life and the business of getting a good paying job. The recruiter told me that no two students have the same course of study. If there is no structure, what is the degree in, and what can you do with it?

Her end goal was to get into veterinary school (which she has done), and I fail to see how a degree from Hampshire in God-knows-what would have helped that along.

On 11/26/2016 at 10:52 PM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

It has gone up. Five years ago, they quoted us somewhere in the neighborhood of $55-56K per year.

Their informational literature says that Hampshire College was formed after a group of academicians met and decided what the future of higher education should be (this was in the 1970s sometime). Hampshire was the end result. A ridiculously expensive school with no curriculum and questionable degree programs. I was left to wonder what success a student would have with an undergraduate degree from Hampshire and trying to do post-graduate work somewhere else.

Sounds like Colorado College here in Colorado Springs. The tuition is something like $60K, but apparently all the students are either filthy rich or have full academic scholarships. There's no one in between.