• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are you on team sell or team compete and pray?

Are you on team sell or team compete?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see the Angels trade away pretty much anyone not named Trout and get younger or try to add players and hopefully get healthy and try to compete?

• Yes sell- trade players to get younger and get some prospects for the farm
    • No, compete

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I still think they'll be in the mix for one 'name' FA, especially if we have a protected pick. And why not? We're shedding some salary and need to add talent any way we can - especially if it isn't at the expense of other talent. Arte will want to show some sign of trying to improve the team with money too.

Reddick makes sense. Could even be why they relented last offseason. They wanted him all along and didn't want to commit the dollars or years to someone this season instead.

You're right about Reddick ... DocHalo also mentioned Cespedes and Ian Desmond who's been on my radar. There's plenty of power bats to be had in the off season too. I also like to keep a eye on Matt Weiters.

Finding a top end starter will be a little more difficult ... buts it's not like the FO is going to be shelling out big bucks for a Ace even if there was one to be had. 

With all the injuries and losing ... it's difficult to think rationally. 

This teams payroll will always run close to the lux tax line. Rebuilding is a gamble that I highly doubt the FO will consider. 

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Your're delusional TD.  Be specific of what you think will help.  I would love to see some actual suggestions instead of the 'I trust Eppler to make the right choices' cop out.  

I want them to be good next year as well, but I don't want to see them miss another opportunity to get better in future when it's just not realistic in the present.  

Cop out ... really? Let's hear your rebuilding plan if you were GM?

Sell Sell Sell ... sounds more like a cop out.

46 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You're right about Reddick ... DocHalo also mentioned Cespedes and Ian Desmond who's been on my radar. There's plenty of power bats to be had in the off season too. I also like to keep a eye on Matt Weiters.

Finding a top end starter will be a little more difficult ... buts it's not like the FO is going to be shelling out big bucks for a Ace even if there was one to be had. 

With all the injuries and losing ... it's difficult to think rationally. 

This teams payroll will always run close to the lux tax line. Rebuilding is a gamble that I highly doubt the FO will consider. 

With the lack of a frontline starter in the minors or available in FA, that's why I think the only way we will get someone like that will be by dealing Calhoun. He's about the only 'replaceable' player we could trade that would bring back legitimate frontline MLB-ready pitching. Simmons would maybe do the same, but then we have to try and replace an elite shortstop. Much more difficult than OF.

I get the appeal of building around Calhoun because he's young, good, and controllable, but so to would be a SP in the vein of Bauer, Matz. It's not like we'd acquire an aging star or unproven A ballers for him. Sign Reddick, slot him behind Trout/Pujols, and before Cron. Sign Jon Jay, bat him first or second if we keep Escobar. 

We'd be in better shape next year than we are now and have another high-end option in the rotation to give us a shot while Richards and Heaney recover. No real damage done to payroll, no players traded, no 1st round draft pick lost. 

If Calhoun is so replaceable how is it the Angels haven't found a reasonable replacement for left field since Anderson left? We seem to have no problem accumulating pitchers but quality outfielders seem to be an enigma. So if you trade Calhoun you now have no right or left fielder. Seems like you are shooting yourself in the foot to acquire a commodity that the Angels actually have a surplus of, albeit on the DL but they will return about the time the rest of the roster of fielders is assembled.

Just now, Blarg said:

If Calhoun is so replaceable how is it the Angels haven't found a reasonable replacement for left field since Anderson left? We seem to have no problem accumulating pitchers but quality outfielders seem to be an enigma. So if you trade Calhoun you now have no right or left fielder. Seems like you are shooting yourself in the foot to acquire a commodity that the Angels actually have a surplus of, albeit on the DL but they will return about the time the rest of the roster of fielders is assembled.

The problem is you don't have to replace him next year or the year after. Compete in a couple years. Why is everyone so keen on competing every year. Every team has to rebuild at some point. Like someone said earlier look at the Lakers and what they are doing. It happens to everyone. Also Calhoun isn't some transcendent player that comes around once every 50 years. Dude is good but he isn't great. Im gonna say it again why is it that everyone on the Angels that is decent to good is untouchable but then how are we in last place in the worst division in baseball. 

Ha, I have no explanation at all when it comes to the Angels doing nothing to fix LF. Zero.  It's inexplicable. But it's not like there is a law of physics prohibiting them from signing two outfielders this offseason. And signing Reddick (or Desmond or Cespedes, but they don't fit the bill as well) is definitely no guarantee. They need to address both this offseason - get one of the bigger names to hopefully produce around a .750-.800 OPS, and sign one of the vets to a one or two year deal. A freaking .700 OPS would be a massive improvement over the last two years. Jon Jay, Saunders, Gutierrez, Davis, Gomez on a pillow deal.  Someone who can be dealt if we suck again, or be moved if a young OF steps forward.

We have had luck producing pitchers, but we're on the verge of missing our two best for 18+ months and stand to lose two more this offseason, without much in the upper minors to step in and offer much more than we have now. And when Richards and Heaney return, we have a surplus again to deal from.

It addresses pitching and hopefully at least maintains offense, without losing prospects or draft picks.

And the team can at least still feign that they're attempting to compete for the 3m fans.

On June 22, 2016 at 9:10 PM, disarcina said:

At this point and almost at every point prior to the trade deadline -- we're SELLERS not BUYERS.

goals:

1.) REDUCE PAYROLL

2.) Obtain some prospects but don't go overboard to the point that you don't achieve number one, above -- REDUCE PAYROLL..

3.) Reducing payroll and concentrating on this year's, the 2017 and 2018 amateur draft should help the Halos -- if they can't obtain some players to help us in the interim FINE but number one goal is to REDUCE PAYROLL. Wait - and then see what's there when you have some money to spend wisely. No more Hamiltons,, GMJ's, Vernon Wells, Appiers, and the list could be much longer.

Reducing payroll is the absolute worst ideas there is. We should not be looking to sell players for pennies on the dollar or looking for guys that come cheap rather than come talented, and most of all we should not be afraid of adding payroll for players that will contribute to this team and give us an opportunity to win games in the future. 

I'm not saying we extend Josh Hamilton's contract but this team is never going to compete with a mid market payroll, there is just no way. 

Just now, Blarg said:

If you guys are watching the game maybe you would change your mind about letting Calhoun go to replace that position with an unknown.

I've said everything but replace with an unknown haha. I even pitched Rajai freakin' Davis. 

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Ok, let's not replace him with crap.

Well, technically I pitched Reddick/Desmond/Cespedes for Calhoun, and Davis/Jay/riff raff to replace current LF riff raff.

And keep in mind we'd also be replacing someone like Chacin or Weaver's spot with Matz, Bauer, Eduardo Rodriguez, someone like that.

41 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

The problem is you don't have to replace him next year or the year after. Compete in a couple years. Why is everyone so keen on competing every year. Every team has to rebuild at some point. Like someone said earlier look at the Lakers and what they are doing. It happens to everyone. Also Calhoun isn't some transcendent player that comes around once every 50 years. Dude is good but he isn't great. Im gonna say it again why is it that everyone on the Angels that is decent to good is untouchable but then how are we in last place in the worst division in baseball. 

I don't follow the Lakers .... did they rebuild? or were they strapped by payroll?

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Calhoun and Trout belong together ... like peanut butter and jelly. 

I will say that there is definitely chemistry there that makes me hesitate.

Just trying to think of a way to improve the SP as soon as possible.

On June 24, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Mark68 said:

Thoughts and prayers are meaningless. This team is going nowhere, was not going anywhere even when Richards & Heaney were healthy.

Blow it up. There is no talent in the minors, and we need to get some.

The Cubs did it, now they have a team that is exciting and fun to watch. Oh, and they're pretty good, too.

The Cubs started their full rebuild back in 1908...

35 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I don't follow the Lakers .... did they rebuild? or were they strapped by payroll?

Weird the one team u don't follow. Don't you have something like 100 plus team hats in your house for who ever wins this year. You were born in Cleveland I'm guessing. Similar to your favorite city to travel is Denver

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

Weird the one team u don't follow. Don't you have something like 100 plus team hats in your house for who ever wins this year. You were born in Cleveland I'm guessing. Similar to your favorite city to travel is Denver

Why are you such a DICK

6 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

That is the kind of delusional optimism that I'm talking about. No explanation or merit behind it. Just a guy with rosey colored goggles on who lives in a fairy land with sunflowers and dandelions.

There are so many more things we have going against us going into next year than we have going for us to make us a good team.

If there is one thing that Dochalo is not, it's a delusional optimist. I have no idea how you concluded blind optimism out of what he said. I have looked over the projected free agent class of 2016, and there isn't much in it - at least not anything that should make us want to go on a spending spree. We missed that window of opportunity.

The weak FA class is precisely why the Angels need to sell as much as they can right now. Arte decided to forego the good FA class and so why would he spend big in the relatively crappy one?  There are some good players that will certainly help that will be available but it's clear that Arte wants to reduce payroll and I'm not sure that he can sign any FA in the off-season without getting rid of some money from the current group.  This wouldn't be that big of a deal if Trout wasn't on the Angels but you have to do all you can to win when you have a once in a gen player on your team and Arte and Scioscia clearly don't know how to do that.

If Arte waits until this offseason to step off the yacht and open his paycheck, I'd have to question his fitness to run a sports franchise. This year's free agent class, now that Strasburg has been locked up, is going to really suck, even if Cespedes opts out. I don't care how much salary comes off after this season, LAST offseason would have been the one to spend.

Just because it's a weak FA class doesn't mean there aren't good players available who fill needs.

This offseason will be different, to our advantage, for two main reasons 1) we shed Weaver, Wilson, Smith and actually have some room to spend without blowing over the tax and 2) we're probably going to have a protected draft pick.

We didn't have that working for us last year. And for what it's worth, many of those big name FAs haven't really panned out. 

The Angels problem with FA right now is they need to quit splurging over and over again where they're bloated with years of commitment to multiple players who've tightened their payroll to the point of no flexibility, and to stop blowing draft picks. Both of those were magnified last year during the heavy class, and aren't this year on the weak class. Sucks, but that's how the timing panned out. 

There are numerous bats this offseason that would be welcome additions, from big names like Reddick, Cespedes, Wieters, maybe Desmond and even Saunders, and a host of lower-tier (cheaper, less commitment) bats like Neil Walker, Luis Valbuena, Justin Turner, Martin Prado, Franklin Gutierrez, Rajai Davis, Jon Jay. There's even a few 1B/DH types that may be worth looking at. Guys like Carlos Gomez may be had on a one-year rebound deal. Enough options to try and get the offense some help. 

Pitching-wise, there is almost nothing available via FA except for someone like Brett Anderson on another one year deal and maybe a couple lefty relief options. Other than that, the righty relievers and starters are either ancient or no better than what we already have.

We can improve the org's pitching via trade this deadline, and offense via FA.