• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

4-11 Angels vs A's Umpiring

Blarg

Tropeano's strike zone.

numlocation_io.php-pitchSel=607374&game=

4 pitches inside the zone called a Ball, 2 borderline called a Ball

Gray's Strike Zone

numlocation_io.php-pitchSel=543243&game=

3 pitches inside the zone called Balls, 2 borderline called a Ball

2 outside the zone called Strikes

That is an adjusted zone from the umpire angle assuming all umpires read the pitches with an offset from left to right handed hitters. The plot I presented is just the straight up zone, no adjusting for right or left handed batter from the umpires angle. So if you wanted computer generated ball and strike counts you would reference to the charts I presented.

That is an adjusted zone from the umpire angle assuming all umpires read the pitches with an offset from left to right handed hitters. The plot I presented is just the straight up zone, no adjusting for right or left handed batter from the umpires angle. So if you wanted computer generated ball and strike counts you would reference to the charts I presented.

I only counted the ones in the black zone and not the gray zone.  

Seems like they can account for that:

========================

When MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred was asked during All-Star festivities last month about an automated strike zone, he said he was against it, citing as a reason doubts about how such a system would adjust to the different heights and stances of a hitter.

"It's because of speed. It's because of technology limitations," Manfred said. "It's because, quite frankly, the strike zone is different for every single guy."

Sportvision President Mike Jakob said those factors are not issues.

"That's already built into the product," he said. "We have a database of strike zones on every player, whether it's in the majors or the minors. We use that database to automatically adjust for the particular strike zone of that particular player."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-automated-strike-zone-20150810-story.html

so if a batter hunches into various stances from one at bat to the next, does his zone change?

Theoretically, a guy could squat at the plate bringing his knees to his chest and have virtually no strike zone.   :)

I think the technology is there to theoretically change a batters strike zone in real time based off how they're standing each pitch.

For example, I don't see why they need a "database" on each player, just calibrate the strike zone on each player as they walk up to the plate and take their stance.

Otherwise you have players that will know their strike zone and it becomes too predictable.

I am glad we have replay (even though they seem to blow it from time to time), and I am pretty OK with computerized balls and strikes (especially after a game like tonight)...but I gotta be honest, taking that one final thing away from the umpires kinda screws with me deep down inside my "traditional" ways of the game. I guess my dilemma is why the f***ing f*** can't they just be better umpires who aren't so effing stubborn with their calls and their zones that we actually have to get to this point.

I mean, tonight was clearly a perfect example. When you're watching the game as a fan and literally throw your hands up 4-5 times whether it's for you or against you, it's like you're gambling in Vegas as a batter. Inconsistency across the board. The umpires are screwing with these guys numbers for hells sake. I'd be much more on their side if they weren't deliberately wrong and/or so defensive about their crappy calls sometimes. But then I think, that's part of the game. Are we going to miss Scioscia going haywire on a mess up? Or guys getting booted over a strike? Because that's what will go away with this kind of technology. And I'm not sure if I'm ready for that to happen.