• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

we've got quite a few struggling position players right now.   There were a lot of early promotions like with Way, Gibbons, Hermosillo, and Montgomery.  Those guys have struggled after being called up.  

Brennan Lund turned things around with a torrid streak. 

Overall though, most levels are showing good patience.  

Anyone know anything about Wade Wass behind the dish?  I see they've also started putting him in the OF a bit.  Not really on the radar as a prospect, but he's got 6hrs and 6 doubles in 94 AB this year with a .920 ops at AA.  Granted, he's 25, but maybe the bat was slow to develop because he's been behind the dish and now it's turned a corner.  One thing he's done without fail at every level is to hit the crap out of lefties.  

45 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

we've got quite a few struggling position players right now.   There were a lot of early promotions like with Way, Gibbons, Hermosillo, and Montgomery.  Those guys have struggled after being called up.  

Brennan Lund turned things around with a torrid streak. 

Overall though, most levels are showing good patience.  

Anyone know anything about Wade Wass behind the dish?  I see they've also started putting him in the OF a bit.  Not really on the radar as a prospect, but he's got 6hrs and 6 doubles in 94 AB this year with a .920 ops at AA.  Granted, he's 25, but maybe the bat was slow to develop because he's been behind the dish and now it's turned a corner.  One thing he's done without fail at every level is to hit the crap out of lefties.  

Wass is a very strongly built human being.  The swing can definitely be pretty rough at times, and appears to need constant tweaking.  However, he's a good enough defensive catcher to stick behind the plate in some capacity.  The fact that the Angels are getting him into the field and DH duty suggests they believe the adjustments he has made are worth getting a better look at. 

Jones 3-5, 3b,

Lund 2-4, hr, bb

Zimmerman 2-5, 2b

Gibbons 2-4, 2b

Nice to see that they took note of my previous post.  

Alternatively, we've had some strong pitching performances so far.  

Jaime Barria - 53.2ip, 2.18 era, 8bb, 46k

Jose Rodriguez - 50.1ip, 52h, 11b, 52k, 3.75era

Jesus Castillo - combined at A/A+ - 36.1ip, era a shade above 3, 8bb, 40k.  

Grayson Long - era near 3.5 between A+/AA.  2.61 at AA since his call up 

Osmer Morales - 2.63 era in 27.1ip at AA with 33k.  

Jake Jewell - had a blow up start for Mobile after getting promoted, but solid since.  Overall era around 3.5 in 41ip with 31k.  

Troy Scriber - 3.25 era in 36ip with 37k.  Troy is one of those guys who has flown under the radar because he's always been a little long in the tooth for his level.  But he's had an era in the mid 3's for his minor league career and 445k in 402.2 ip.  Hope he gets some spot starts this year.   

There are several nice reliever performances so far as well.  Paredes in particular looking real good.  

One of my potential favorite trade targets, Mark Zagunis for the month of May after a slow start: http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?playerid=sa827207&position=OF&type=-2&gds=2017-05-01&gde=2017-05-27&season=

.442 OBP and a 152 wRC+. He's a corner OF that gets on-base a lot, doesn't hit for a terrible amount of power (think 15 HR's in the Majors) but can hit a lot of singles and doubles. He's in AAA and he's stuck behind a long OF depth chart for the Cubs. Unless Eppler wants to invest money in a LF free agent like J.D. Martinez (and that'll be probably $20M+ per year) this might be a great deadline trade possibility. There are certainly other options I just like but this guys insane ability to get on base is very appealing to me.

Edited by ettin

1 hour ago, ettin said:

One of my potential favorite trade targets, Mark Zagunis for the month of May after a slow start: http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?playerid=sa827207&position=OF&type=-2&gds=2017-05-01&gde=2017-05-27&season=

.442 OBP and a 152 wRC+. He's a corner OF that gets on-base a lot, doesn't hit for a terrible amount of power (think 15 HR's in the Majors) but can hit a lot of singles and doubles. He's in AAA and he's stuck behind a long OF depth chart for the Cubs. Unless Eppler wants to invest money in a LF free agent like J.D. Martinez (and that'll be probably $20M+ per year) this might be a great deadline trade possibility. There are certainly other options I just like but this guys insane ability to get on base is very appealing to me.

He'd be great, but what could we possibly deal to the Cubs that may land him? Still think they wind up putting together a package for Quintana.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He'd be great, but what could we possibly deal to the Cubs that may land him? Still think they wind up putting together a package for Quintana.

Well to be honest I think someone like a Bud Norris trade deadline deal would be in the ballpark. Remember that Zagunis is first and foremost a prospect so his value is reduced in the first place and also he has not been ranked in any Top 100 list as far as I am aware also making his value more of a mid-tier quality prospect. There is of course trade space there that may have to be filled (perhaps Norris and another prospect for instance) but I really do think a good reliever even on a half-season rental could be enough.

We once traded one year of Howie Kendrick for 6 years of Andrew Heaney so I think 1/2 year of Norris for 6 years of Zagunis (at inflated deadline value), who isn't nearly well-regarded as Heaney was, could be within the realm of reality.

And you're quite right about Quintana the Cubs could still upgrade there if they wanted and Zagunis would certainly probably have appeal to the White Sox. Zagunis has been on my radar for a while now and I had checked in on him early and he was struggling and then I pulled him up again and he has gotten red hot in May.

Edited by ettin

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

Well to be honest I think someone like a Bud Norris trade deadline deal would be in the ballpark. Remember that Zagunis is first and foremost a prospect so his value is reduced in the first place and also he has not been ranked in any Top 100 list as far as I am aware also making his value more of a mid-tier quality prospect. There is of course trade space there that may have to be filled (perhaps Norris and another prospect for instance) but I really do think a good reliever even on a half-season rental could be enough.

We once traded one year of Howie Kendrick for 6 years of Andrew Heaney so I think 1/2 year of Norris for 6 years of Zagunis, who isn't nearly well-regarded as Heaney was, could be within the realm of reality.

And you're quite right about Quintana the Cubs could still upgrade there if they wanted and Zagunis would certainly probably have appeal to the White Sox. Zagunis has been on my radar for a while now and I had checked in on him early and he was struggling and then I pulled him up again and he has gotten red hot in May.

I could see Norris for Zagunis actually. :thumbs up:

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I could see Norris for Zagunis actually. :thumbs up:

Actually I was reading through some other stuff and I stumbled on this "List of Lists" prospect list that FanGraphs put out on March 31st and Zagunis is ranked #209 out of 215 listed.

10 hours ago, ettin said:

Actually I was reading through some other stuff and I stumbled on this "List of Lists" prospect list that FanGraphs put out on March 31st and Zagunis is ranked #209 out of 215 listed.

Wonder if any Angels were able to get on the list of 215??... I mean last year nobody was able to crack the top 100 lists of many publications... and on many occasions recently our waiver wire pick ups cracked our MLB.com organizational top 30 list.  

1 hour ago, Jig Stew said:

Wonder if any Angels were able to get on the list of 215??... I mean last year nobody was able to crack the top 100 lists of many publications... and on many occasions recently our waiver wire pick ups cracked our MLB.com organizational top 30 list.  

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/comparing-and-contrasting-this-years-prospect-rankings/
Jahmai Jones, #101 and Matt Thaiss, #171

19 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Glad to see Jones starting to play well. His line for the year is now up to .256/.309/.403. He seems on track for A+ next year, AA in 2019, AAA/majors in 2020 at age 22.

.421 in last ten games!

Taylor Blake Ward @TaylorBlakeWard·30m

#Angels pitching prospect, Jaime Barria, has been promoted to Double-A Mobile; 2.48 ERA and 0.934 WHIP (65.1 IP) in Cal League. Will be 5th youngest player in Southern League, with all four younger being in ATL org (Allard, Gohara, Soroka, Acuna)

At this pace Barria could be entering the big-league pitching picture sooner then expected.

This is typically the time of year where you'll see more promotions due to roster crunches following the draft. The top collegiate guys are moved up to A Ball which forces the A Ball players up to Advanced A Ball abdvthose in Advanced A to AA.

That being said, it's about time on Barria.  Probably could've been done a month ago.

This Barria move was inevitable. I've seen him pitch 3 times this year and he killed it every time. He's already a big guy who probably won't fill out anymore, thus not throw much harder, but he's very polished for a 20 year old. Throws a boatload of strikes, commands his above average fastball and plus change up and is starting to show some feel for a curveball. His upside isn't uber high but I think he can be an inning eating 4/5 guy, which would be great.