• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can 2016 Angels replicate 2014 success?

http://monkeywithahalo.com/2016-articles/angels-2016-2014-division-champs.html

Really didn't notice how similar the teams and circumstances were until I dug a little bit. Kind of makes me think this team will be more of a threat than they've been given credit for. Wouldn't it just be fantastic if we ended up winning the division and shoving it in Texas and Houston's collect face?

Nice read. I couldn't say if there's a whole lot to garner from the information posed as of course you could take any two things or two seasons and find all sorts of similarities. Nonetheless I'm definitely more optimistic about the Angels 2016 than before Spring Training started and this article does a good job putting it into words while trying to remain cautious and fair to some serious question marks.

No, because the division is going to be better. I predicted 75-90 wins. I think the Angels will be better than last year because they are running more and will score more runs. If Santiago, Shoemaker, and Skaggs do well they don't have to rely on Weaver and Wilson as much.

I am guessing 70 to 75% of teams will win between 75 and 90 games.

Nice job Scotty.  I think it's a reasonable comp.  

One of the things that was huge in 2014 was the performance of our revamped bullpen in the 2nd half.   It was ridiculous.  

The combined efforts of our starters left us with an average crew in 2014.  I think we can replicate that in 2016.

Yeah, slotting Grilli in the 6th was a stroke of genius. Morin, Grilli, Jepsen, Smith and Street ended up being probably the best pen we've had in almost a decade. I'm hoping Morin bounces back and Bedrock and Rasmus make that leap this year. We'd shorten a lot of games.

I think the pitching doesn't allow for a 98 win season.

No one thought the pitching in 2014 was conducive to a 98 win season, yet there they were. We still have Richards, Shoe obviously Wong be as good, but he can probably be as good as the 2014 version of Weav. Santiago has improved, Skaggs is throwing harder than he ever did in 2014, which was still 91-94, plus now we're mixing in Tropeano.

I think we're in good shape on the mound.

2014 had plenty of pitching struggles. Santiago started 0-7. Wilson had some bad stretches. Skaggs and Richards ended up have their seasons ended. Frieri was brutal before the trade. The eventual pen depth saved that season and that might happen again this year once there's enough time to iron out the roles.

No one thought the pitching in 2014 was conducive to a 98 win season, yet there they were. We still have Richards, Shoe obviously Wong be as good, but he can probably be as good as the 2014 version of Weav. Santiago has improved, Skaggs is throwing harder than he ever did in 2014, which was still 91-94, plus now we're mixing in Tropeano.

I think we're in good shape on the mound.

I'm not sure I would call it good shape, but it's interesting at least.  

Richard could be a legit ace or a #3.  

Heaney could blossom into a #2 or be a back end guy

Santiago could put it together and pitch like a #2 for a whole season or he could be the guy we saw in the second half and barely hold down a rotation spot

Weaver is probably toast.  At best he eats some innings as a #5

Wilson may not pitch thin year or he could be a legit #3

Tropeano could be a #3 or get shuffled back and forth from AAA as a spot starter 

Shoe could repeat his 2014 or be in the minors all season

Skaggs has the potential to be a fringe ace or at least a #2.  But his innings will be limited and he hasn't pitched in 18 months.  

Smith could end up a back end guy or never see a big league rotation

The variability is astounding.  If Richards, Heaney, Santiago, Skaggs and Tropeano do what we think they are capable of, we could have one of the best young rotations in baseball.  Or they could all end up being pretty pedestrian and we end up we one of the most disappointing rotations in baseball.  

The most interesting piece to me is Skaggs.  He's got legit stuff.  A potential front of the rotation guy.  He could be the difference.  

I'm not sure I would call it good shape, but it's interesting at least.  

Richard could be a legit ace or a #3.  

Heaney could blossom into a #2 or be a back end guy

Santiago could put it together and pitch like a #2 for a whole season or he could be the guy we saw in the second half and barely hold down a rotation spot

Weaver is probably toast.  At best he eats some innings as a #5

Wilson may not pitch thin year or he could be a legit #3

Tropeano could be a #3 or get shuffled back and forth from AAA as a spot starter 

Shoe could repeat his 2014 or be in the minors all season

Skaggs has the potential to be a fringe ace or at least a #2.  But his innings will be limited and he hasn't pitched in 18 months.  

Smith could end up a back end guy or never see a big league rotation

The variability is astounding.  If Richards, Heaney, Santiago, Skaggs and Tropeano do what we think they are capable of, we could have one of the best young rotations in baseball.  Or they could all end up being pretty pedestrian and we end up we one of the most disappointing rotations in baseball.  

The most interesting piece to me is Skaggs.  He's got legit stuff.  A potential front of the rotation guy.  He could be the difference.  

I think that wide range of variability from so many of our players, even the young 'core', is what led Eppler to play it conservatively this offseason. 

2016 is a good year for him to get a feel for the future of most of these players, and to allow him to focus on a better long-term fix, rather than making kneejerk moves such as spending big or starting a big rebuild.

As Tot said, it is starting to become clearer that not making any huge changes might be in fact be wise.

One thing is certain. The uncertainty does bring some intrigue to the 2016 season.

Still, it will be nice some 20 months from now to have answered hopefully a lot of the questions, and on top of it have freed up some $60 million AAV from the payroll.

Edited by Angel Oracle

A lot hinges on the start, IMO. Especially if the starting rotation takes time to get going, and the pen gets worked.

April looks like a tough month

Cubs, Rangers (twice) Royals and Twins in April is pretty rough way to start the season. Mariners and CWS are the only "weaker" teams they face.

If Hou gets off to a strong start, the Halos could be in a hole that might last all season.

I'd say .500 would look moderately OK going into May, with the tough teams they face in April...

and a few games under is going to make things REALLY tough considering the strength of the AL West.

If they fall way back in the first 1 1/2- 2 months, it's probably going to be a long year.

Residual interest and ticket sales will really suffer, since there is already very little buzz about this team this season.

Arte's reluctance to spend money this off season could cost him plenty in revenue.

But, a good start can turn that all around, so I really think it depends on how they come out of the gate.

Scioscia never seems very concerned about anything early in the season, so that tendency concerns me when trying to predict what the season will look like.

EDIT: The fact that Scioscia and staff have been putting the projected regular lineup out in ST more often than in the past, is reason to hope that there is a sense of urgency around this team, and a strong start is something that they are looking to have this time around, and that's encouraging.

Edited by Homebrewer