• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bench Depth

In addition to the actual bench upgrades, they have also added to the AAA depth Cunningham and Ortega for OF, and Petit for MIF. They may be nothing fancy but fit into the main areas of need.

Its not like the Angels lost any position players that havent been replaced either.

And exactly one year ago everyone loved our bench. Especially Cowgill and Navarro. I don't recall anyone having a problem with Featherston as a backup.

rinse and repeat I guess.

Featherston as a backup was a MAJOR area of complaint last year! Edited by NachoPop

Grant Green was actually the bench player.

No one had issue with our bench last year around this time.

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/19349-cowgill/?hl=bench#entry547365

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/19224-navarro/?hl=bench#entry545237

Yup, Green was considered a bench player but what does that have to do with Featherston? As a rule 5 all year he was also a bench player by default.

Yup, Green was considered a bench player but what does that have to do with Featherston? As a rule 5 all year he was also a bench player by default.

Because I'm comparing opening day bench. I could be wrong, but I thought Featherston was initially AAA depth.

Edited by Mr. Meeseeks

Green was supposed to bring positional versatility and AAA options. He wasn't a good fit for utility role because he's a RH hitter without power or petience, limited speed and defensive abilities.

The Hamilton fiasco and both Cron and Joyce failing to hit really put a damper on the early season. Once Murphy made LF at least mediocre and Cron started to hit then we lost Freese and Gia. I think we're better equipped to handle those things this year and still have solid options for late inning subs and scheduled days of rest.

I think the only position that i have any real worry about with regard to injury is MIF (mostly SS). Pennington then I guess they could always use Escobar. Petit maybe? Hopefully Yarbrough and Baldo come along soon.

3B, 1B, C are fine, OF they can work it out betwen the 3 positions.

Because I'm comparing opening day bench. I could be wrong, but I thought Featherston was initially AAA depth.

Your common sense seems to be slipping away.... He was a rule 5 last year. Can't really be AAA depth if you don't have an option to be sent down.....

Edited by AngelintheTroutfield

Your common sense seems to be slipping away.... He was a rule 5 last year. Can't really be AAA depth if you don't have an option to be sent down.....

Man you guys are relentless. **** me right. Remind me to never go against the popular opinion again.

And exactly one year ago everyone loved our bench. Especially Cowgill and Navarro. I don't recall anyone having a problem with Featherston as a backup.

rinse and repeat I guess.

If you don't recall anyone having a problem with Featherston than you weren't paying attention. The board had a lot of people question why Featherston was kept on the roster.

I haven't been paying attention because I have a different opinion? Get off your high horse.

Tdawg was right when he said, The only projections opinions we like here on AW are the ones that say we're going to be the best team ever.

You must be new here. The only opinions that get any agreement are the ones that say how awful the Angels are.

Man you guys are relentless. **** me right. Remind me to never go against the popular opinion again.

Ok martyr. You can have whatever opinion you want but this one happens to be just plain wrong. As pointed out in this thread already we have improved all three bench pieces and the fact that you are the only one who disagrees should say a lot more about your opinion than it does any kind of mob mentality you're hinting at.

Try not denigrating someone's work that used a three year baseline with just a random unsupported opinion. I don't always agree with DocHalo but I certainly respect his ability to back up his opinion with something of substance.

I always liked the idea of a veteran bench. Use the young players as starters because of a brighter, more sustainable future, and use veterans that used to be starters as backups that won't be frightened of a thrusted spotlight and can help guide the young ones in their career path.

This is what Eppler is doing here with Gentry, Pennington and Soto. The last veteran bench we had what Ibanez and McDonald, and though it took a while to get Ibanez out of the lineup, the team seemed to be a better cohesive unit as a result of their wisdom.

Ok martyr. You can have whatever opinion you want but this one happens to be just plain wrong. As pointed out in this thread already we have improved all three bench pieces and the fact that you are the only one who disagrees should say a lot more about your opinion than it does any kind of mob mentality you're hinting at.

I don't care that most disagree with me. Doesn't change my opinion.

Try not denigrating someone's work that used a three year baseline with just a random unsupported opinion. I don't always agree with DocHalo but I certainly respect his ability to back up his opinion with something of substance. 

Wasn't trying to insult doch. He's one my favorite posters. 

Apologies if it came off that way. I think I was spending too much time on the spin forum. As you know, things can get a little more heated over there.

Edited by Mr. Meeseeks

Cliff Pennington - a clear upgrade (definitely offensively & probably defensively) at utility infielder over Taylor Featherston.

Geovany Soto - a solid second catcher who is respected at game management and who can control running games far better than Chris Iannetta.

Craig Gentry -  a superb fourth outfielder who plays a plus CF. He hits left-handed pitching well and he is the speedy baserunner missing in the past. He's a clear improvement over Colin Cowgill.

Ji-Man Choi - a higher upside version of Efren Navarro for 1B/LF. He's not quite as good defensively, but he looks like he has much better gap power and OBP abilities offensively.

All four are capable of contributing far more in 2016 than just being warm bodies.

Gentry "a superb fourth outfielder"? Hahahahaha. He hit .120 last year in the big leagues and spent most of the season in AAA despite being on a pretty terrible Oakland team. At AAA he put up a whopping .646 OPS. Scotty wants his hyperbole back.

Gentry "a superb fourth outfielder"? Hahahahaha. He hit .120 last year in the big leagues and spent most of the season in AAA despite being on a pretty terrible Oakland team. At AAA he put up a whopping .646 OPS. Scotty wants his hyperbole back.

Craig Gentry had a .120 batting average over 56 plate appearances in 2015: Recency bias, small sample size bias, and framing bias are clearly in play with your "in-depth" analysis. A review of three years of offensive metrics and a look at Gentry's platoon splits is more encouraging than your concise analysis of ".120 Hahahahaha." 

An MLB fourth outfielder has to be able to provide skills not always related to a high OPS/SLG. A fourth outfielder can provide above average on-base percentage, solid back-up CF coverage, and speed on the bases even if he is a slap hitter. Gentry is an improvement in each of these areas over Colin Cowgill in 2015.

The sad internet pedantry and a tired attempt at a snappy insult are noted. I may not be right about the Angel's bench in 2016, but I think I expressed my opinion reasonably well.

Craig Gentry had a .120 batting average over 56 plate appearances in 2015: Recency bias, small sample size bias, and framing bias are clearly in play with your "in-depth" analysis. A review of three years of offensive metrics and a look at Gentry's platoon splits is more encouraging than your concise analysis of ".120 Hahahahaha." 

An MLB fourth outfielder has to be able to provide skills not always related to a high OPS/SLG. A fourth outfielder can provide above average on-base percentage, solid back-up CF coverage, and speed on the bases even if he is a slap hitter. Gentry is an improvement in each of these areas over Colin Cowgill in 2015.

The sad internet pedantry and a tired attempt at a snappy insult are noted. I may not be right about the Angel's bench in 2016, but I think I expressed my opinion reasonably well.

He has not been remotely effective at any level since 2013. He put up a 76 OPS+ in 2014 and 10 in 2015. Yes the 2015 figure was a very limited sample size but that speaks volumes given he couldn't even get a look in with what was a pretty dreadful Oakland team. It's not like he was banging the door down at AAA either, he only had a .646 OPS. As for his platoon splits, the last time he saw significant MLB playing time was 2014. That year he had a .645 OPS (or 85 OPS+) against RHP. So yes, a few years ago he was a pretty good fourth outfielder. He is still going to be a solid to good defensive outfielder. But calling him "superb" is, as I said, hyperbole to the level even Scotty would blush at.